VERSA HAUL - Motorcycle carrier - Anyone here have one? | GTAMotorcycle.com

VERSA HAUL - Motorcycle carrier - Anyone here have one?

oRRange600

I've thinking of getting a versa haul sport bike carrier.
http://versahaul.com/vhsportro.php

It looks pretty good. Just wondering if anyone here has one, and if it works well with a mini-van. I have a Mazda MPV. It has a class 3 hitch, which is what it requires.

What are your opinions? And are there any dealers in the GTA for this?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldnt trust my bike to be held off the ground by a hitch attached to an mpv. Whats the worst case scenario here? hitch snaps off, your bike goes tumbling down the highway. Also doesnt the CBR600 weight slightly more than 500 pounds fully wet? I dont know, but i think it does.

You can get a front wheel dolly that does basically the same thing except only one wheel is held off the ground. Or you can get small trailers which would be a lot safer for the bike for about the same price.

Look up the max tongue weight that your MPV can support. Chances are it is much less than 500 lbs. Whatever it is, remember to factor in the weight of the VersaHaul alonmg with your bike weight. I doubt the van can support it, unless your sport bike is a bicycle.

The load that these apply to the hitch is worse than a tongue weight. It's also cantilevered out waaaaay beyond where a tongue weight is normally applied, trying to twist the hitch off the chassis and applying rear suspension loads that are out of proportion to the tongue weight. Also, when you are going around a corner in the tow vehicle, they are trying to twist the hitch in a direction that they normally don't see.

Personally, I'd rather use a small single-rail trailer. It will apply far less load to the chassis of your tow vehicle. You can tow a single-rail bike trailer with a Civic.

MPV tongue weight will be at max 300lbs. (depending on year)

you will NOT want to buy one of these to use with that vehicle.

as Brian said, hitches are not designed to bear the forces these haulers make.

ive pulled a dual rail trailer with two dirtbikes , 5gal of spare fuel, and a rubbermaid of gear behind my mazda3, that would be your best bet.

Thanks guys. Small trailer it is!

MPV tongue weight will be at max 300lbs. (depending on year)

Just to be clear, I shouldn't have mentioned tongue weight, it's not really relevant for the reasons BrianP pointed out. Just in case anyone is considering this thing for their bike.

Back
Top Bottom