Vehicle transfer in the family, question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vehicle transfer in the family, question

vince492

I tried to find the answer on the MTO website and I tried to call them but they are government worker so nobody is there at 17:05 :D.

My girlfriend is moving here from Québec in two weeks, her father is giving her one of his cars. From what I found on the MTO website, you need to do a sworn statement in front of some dude at the MTO...but her father isn't going down here only for a car transfer. Is it still possible to avoid the tax rape or she will have to pay the hst? Is there any other way to do the family transfer here?

Thank for any answer, I don't expect to get an expert one but it will give me some idea before I can call them again.

Any articling student can do that.

I did this and did not need a lawyer, notary, jp etc. The lady at the MTO gave me a piece of paper to sign and my ex had to be there to sign it too. Thats it.

I don't have an answer but thought I'd throw out a fyi that tax exempt gifting of vehicles is now permitted between brothers/sisters (oddly, you couldn't before). Think this was effective as of last year or year before because the literature hadn't been updated online last I checked.

I had a car signed over to me once by a parent, it required both parties to be present and it had to be done with someone specific from the MTO present, but required us only to be there on the appropriate day (when that person was working). My advice would be for her to have it done before she moves, that way he doesn't have to visit Toronto just to change the ownership.

I didn't sign or get anything when my dad gave me his truck. The lady just asked if we were related, I said yes it's my fathers, she processed it as a gift.

Back
Top Bottom