Valve Job (cleaning and lapping) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Valve Job (cleaning and lapping)

Does it remove metal? If yes, It's too harsh

I'm guessing, technically, almost anything can remove metal. I'm sure even a wire wheel removes some metal. But, without having the proper experience, it's hard to know what the acceptable level of removal is. I've been told that medium Scotch-Brite pad is more abrasive than a wire wheel. I wouldn't have guess that.

I've just called my friend's friend's machine shop and am going to get his advice - probably have the surfaces and bores looked at, a proper cleaning and probably going to replace the valves, which seems to be the consensus, and have the seats recut.

Depends a lot on what material you are cleaning. Mild steel, cast iron, alloy or hardened steel. I have a brass wire wheel on my bench grinder that is perfectly safe on almost everything. (except knuckles)

And please don't forget your ppe.

I’m not an expert but plastic shouldn’t remove metal. Soft metal like brass shouldn’t remove a harder metal like iron. If you go with a softer compound you should be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I’m not an expert but plastic shouldn’t remove metal. Soft metal like brass shouldn’t remove a harder metal like iron. If you go with a softer compound you should be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Makes sense. But I think it's on a spectrum. I guess the relative hardness of the material determines the percentage of wear that one has on the other. But both, to some degree, must have an affect on the other. But I'm really just talking out of my ass.

Back
Top Bottom