Vacant home tax | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vacant home tax

TK4

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but does everyone in Toronto know they have to declare vacant house tax exemption for this year by February 28th or your penalty will be 3 percent of your tax bill....and you must do it on line...no other way....your last tax bill along the right hand side where the black printing is...about half way down you will see this notice....go on line.. and put in your assess number and customer number and simply declare you are the owner, user of the house and that's it....this has to be done every year....pretty ridiculous for those of us in the same house for the past twenty years....so please make sure you share this.

Wait, this is something you have to do every year, even if you only own one property and it's your principle residence???
mmmmhmm.

non declaration will result in them assuming its vacant.

ask me how i know.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but does everyone in Toronto know they have to declare vacant house tax exemption for this year by February 28th or your penalty will be 3 percent of your tax bill....and you must do it on line...no other way....your last tax bill along the right hand side where the black printing is...about half way down you will see this notice....go on line.. and put in your assess number and customer number and simply declare you are the owner, user of the house and that's it....this has to be done every year....pretty ridiculous for those of us in the same house for the past twenty years....so please make sure you share this.
It can be done off line but it's a PITA. The Mrs. just did it.

So, the LTB screws the landlords and if the landlord waits for a more trustworthy tenant the city screws you. Not my idea of a threesome.

Seems almost like a scam.
Requires a new group of employees to administer the declarations and a another group to investigate.
If you forget to declare are you automatically guilty?
If you're old and on a fixed income will you lose your house?
Will they spend all their time investigating people who forget?

Is there a better way to do this?

Seems almost like a scam.
Requires a new group of employees to administer the declarations and a another group to investigate.
If you're old and on a fixed income will you lose your house?

Is there a better way to do this?
I doubt they investigate, it's just a way to generate some additional $$$ from the offshore property owners that aren't paying attention.
Found money if it works ?

I doubt they investigate, it's just a way to generate some additional $$$ from the offshore property owners that aren't paying attention.
Found money if it works ?
If I was an offshore owner wouldn't I just tick the boxes for all of my properties?

If you weren't telling the truth. I don't know what mechanism is in place to check up.

It could be the "online only" method is so they can check for multiple single owner properties with the same IP and/or match IPs to addresses easily.

the answer is yes you are. and no they won't, you'll just get a bill in the mail.

the answer is yes you are. and no they won't, you'll just get a bill in the mail.

I can't see how that doesn't violate out automatic billing laws.

Back
Top Bottom