V-Strom 650 vs Kawi Versys 650 | GTAMotorcycle.com

V-Strom 650 vs Kawi Versys 650

Old Suzy

Site Supporter
I'm looking at replacing my Suzuki M50 with a 650. The M50 is the bike my son rides (several years riding). I have been informed that I pay a huge insurance premium for my son to ride anything larger than a 650cc bike as he is under 25. He has always liked the adventure touring bikes and he is tall enough to handle the higher seat height (6'2"). The Versys and the V-strom look like good choices.
Looking for constructive criticism or praise for these two bikes.

Chatted to a nice guy In Panama recently who'd ridden his VStrom 650 from Alberta all the way there and was heading off to Argentina. He seemed very happy with it as do most people.

I've been looking for a vstrom for awhile now, owners seem to a)love them and b)keep them forever.

Loyal bunch it seems

How much are you looking to spend? Or what year roughly you looking at?

Either way I would say VStrom hands down, typically more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Top quality sport tourer

Bought a klr windshield off a guy who had one, he said all day rides are easy on the body with his v strom

It’s hard to wrong with either one; they’re both gr8 machines,
assuming that this is the type of bike you are looking for

The Versys is noticeably better-looking (to my sense of aesthetics).
In the end, however, the clear choice for me was the V-Strom.
No regrets or second thoughts at all; IMHO, it's one heck of a bike!

And yes, meme is absolutely right ...

I've been looking for a vstrom for awhile now, owners seem to a)love them and b)keep them forever.

Loyal bunch it seems

From what i understand V-strom is more capable and versatile.....more adventurous.

Whereas while still versatile, the versys is more on the sport tourer side of things

How much are you looking to spend? Or what year roughly you looking at?

Either way I would say VStrom hands down, typically more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Top quality sport tourer

I would think 2007 and newer due to the introduction of ABS, Thinking I should be able to get a good condition for under 5K.

There is currently one for sale for $5250 - A 2009 w/ ABS and only 23000kms. Seems like a good deal. Read more here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/3030353-post17.html

I own a 2012 V-Strom 650 bought new in 2013. As people here have said it's a good bike and it's my 2nd one. I've got about 70k on it and it still rides like the day I bought it - I fully expect it to last well over 300k. It's very comfortable, and very capable. It's really great to be able to ride a 14 hour day on the slab, followed by a 12 hour day on twisty mountain roads and followed still by a 12 hour day on twisty dirt and gravel roads. I just can't really do that on any other bike in this same price point. And I can ride 2up on this bike all day as well.

Things I dislike: the stock seat, mirrors, handlebars and windscreen - there are tons of aftermarket solutions. If your son is going to be riding off pavement, the a skid plate is useful to protect the strangely exposed oil cooler.

Thanks all
The winner is by 8 posts......... WEE Strom!!!!

There is currently one for sale for $5250 - A 2009 w/ ABS and only 23000kms. Seems like a good deal. Read more here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/3030353-post17.html

I own a 2012 V-Strom 650 bought new in 2013. As people here have said it's a good bike and it's my 2nd one. I've got about 70k on it and it still rides like the day I bought it - I fully expect it to last well over 300k. It's very comfortable, and very capable. It's really great to be able to ride a 14 hour day on the slab, followed by a 12 hour day on twisty mountain roads and followed still by a 12 hour day on twisty dirt and gravel roads. I just can't really do that on any other bike in this same price point. And I can ride 2up on this bike all day as well.

Things I dislike: the stock seat, mirrors, handlebars and windscreen - there are tons of aftermarket solutions. If your son is going to be riding off pavement, the a skid plate is useful to protect the strangely exposed oil cooler.

That's a good price! I got more than that when I traded in my 2008 Wee Strom with 38,000 kms.

K9 versys didn't have abs, and it was fugly, so I got a wee.
I had a clutch issue, but it might have been a dealer issue.
it wasn't fastened properly on the lower end.
someone from there still has the manual I paid for.
local shop made the same installation error.
maybe the manual was wrong?
Kawasaki probably has better dealers.

Versys is a great bike, unfortunately not very popular here compared to Europe.
I own it for 5 years and absolutely have no complain. At 39k km I did only regular maintenance - no mechanical issue at all.
Modified ninja engine 100% compatible with city commuters and tourer needs.
I'm 6'6" and it is one of the kind bike I feel comfortable in.

I had a vstrom 1000, fantastic bike. My only complaint is that the engine was a little "boring" for a 1000cc vtwin. Bought a 2009 versys 650 recently and I love it. The power delivery is a bit more sporty than the strom. The strom(IMO) is smoother and has better fairings/windscreen. For me, the versys was a better fit and the fuglyness speaks to me.
The versys however, is more of a road bike I think, and mine won't see more than gravel.

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

Back
Top Bottom