V Star 1100 mods/upgrade advice needed. | GTAMotorcycle.com

V Star 1100 mods/upgrade advice needed.

thegamb8

Hi guys,

Happy New Year!

I own a 2003 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom which is untouched i.e. everything stock.

I want to get some work done on the bike this year and the list is as follows:

1. Replace stock pipes with slip-ons or change the exhaust system completely.

Ive done some research and the decision is still not clear. Should I change the full pipe or should I get the slip-ons. The reason I want to do this is because the motorcycle sounds dangerously soft on the road.

If I get slip-ons, do I re-jet the carbs? Is that recommended or a necessity?

I assume it would be a necessity if the entire exhaust system is changed.

2. Add new tires.

This is long overdue and ive got 30k on the stock Dunlops. Any suggestions on a decent pair of tires? I was thinking Metzeler 880. I was looking at motorcycle-superstore.com but other websites / stores welcome.

3. Install Hypercharger or change Air Filter

This one may be more cosmetic than helpful but id love some input. I read a lot online about how these increase the power in a bike but wouldn’t a K&N air filter do almost exactly that? Maybe not as much but pretty close? If you have added a hypercharger on your bike and noticed a world of difference - I wanna know.

Also, would it be better to get 1. and 3. done together since re-jetting the carbs will definitely need to be done if a Hypercharger is installed? Am I right?

Last but not least I need a decent mechanic or shop who can do all this for me. I would just need labor (I think). I’ll buy the parts online and get them shipped to my buddy in the States who would bring them over. On the flip side Im open to the buying the part from the mechanic / store if the price is comparable.

I would usually go to GP bikes since thats where I bought the bike from but I don’t want to pay 100 bucks an hour. I don't want to go to Rosey Toes because they quote one price on the phone and then after waiting a long long time in line and most of the day killed you end up paying a different price (usually higher).

Your responses and comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Hi, I ride a VStar1100 Classic and did mods last year, parts from the States, shipped to shipping warehouse across the border, then took it all to Oakville Yamaha to install. Wanted to use a Yamaha Dealer to do all the mods to specs just in case I had issues.
1. Chubby Air Kit Pods from http://www.sscustomcycle.com
2. V&H Slip On Exhaust
3. AIS disabled (less popping on decel)
4. Michelin Commander II Tires front and rear, I just absolutely love those tires, great grip on wet surface
My bike sounds great now, gained about 10 more HP also. Vance and Hines are LOUD though so if you don't like that go with another brand.
All in all I am very happy with the performance and sound of the bike now and as far as I know, if you only want your bike to sound better and no other mods are done to it you don't need to re jet, if you do the air intake mods then you have to.

Hope this helps :)

http://www.starbikeforums.com/

There are TONS of people with all the technical knowledge you would ever need for your bike on there. It is one of the BEST Yamaha Star bike forums, I have found.

I hear what your saying with the pipes being too soft, my buddy with his 110 VStar changed for louder pipes and now riding with him I have to leave MUCH more space as it is simply too loud and annoying.

I know others will counter but loud pipes do not save lives, riding within your ability and proactively/defensively, will save you more than ANY exhaust will. Just don't like people lapsing into a "false sense of security" just because their bike is louder. If loud pipes made that much of a difference then Harleys would NEVER be involved in crashes..lol (other than because their owners are too busy wrenching to ride)..lol

first question is why ? are you looking for performance ? or just to make it look cool ?

all of the work you ask about can be done by yourself, with no experience needed ( 'cept for tires , those can be tricky )

i wouldnt bother with the hypercharger, just for looks pretty much.

first question is why ? are you looking for performance ? or just to make it look cool ?

all of the work you ask about can be done by yourself, with no experience needed ( 'cept for tires , those can be tricky )

i wouldnt bother with the hypercharger, just for looks pretty much.

I disagree on the Hypercharger being just for looks. I made a difference on mine. Better response and a little more get up and go. Was worth it.

The reason I chose the under the tank pods is that I wasn't sure about the Hyperchargers during rain. I used my old filtercover (dog bowl) to cover up the empty space but there is a ton of covers out there, all a question of personal taste. And yes, Hyperchargers and other Pod Kits make a ton of difference in performance :)

switching exhaust, you should re-jet.

what i meant with the hypercharger, is that if you've already done air filter, AIS, Pipes and a Re-jet, the Hypercharger wont really be that noticable, ( on top of all that )
for comparing $$ to performance. *

* my opinion only. and hyperchargers dont like rain

For exhaust, if your just looking to change the sound then I would go with slip ons. There's lots of clips on youtube so pick whatever looks/sounds the best to you.

Tires - I have a set of ME880's and I like them. Much better then the stock Dunlops on my bike. I bought them from Pete's superbike and had them install at Heritage Auto. I would buy from and install with both of them again.

As for air intake, try looking at a Big Air kit from Barron's cycle. Nice looking units, and come with a rain sock.

Folks, thanks for the responses so far.

From what I gather above, hyperchargers / air filters seem like a hit and miss. I think I'll have to research this a bit more.

As for the pipes - yes its mostly to bump up the sound so I think I'll go with Jardine Drag Slip-ons. I like their sound. Youtube link here. I agree that loud pipes do not save lives - that's a myth. I just want my bike to sound a little manlier.. lol. I'm comparing it to my 883 Sportster with Screaming Eagles and my V Star is nothing louder than a friggin whisper!

If im changing pipes and air then I might as well re-jet. I think a Dyno Stage 1 Kit should do just fine. Thoughts?

For the tires - I want to go for the Commander II by Michelin but I don't think the exact config for my bike is available in a pair.

The tires on my bike are as follows:

Front tire
110/90-18 M/C 61 H

Rear tire
170/80-15 M/C 77 H

So far I've found a decent pair only with Metzeler. Will keep looking.

Any other shops around the GTA or independent mechanics anyone know of?

I really appreciate the responses. Thank you!

I have the 650, but you can still get Coibra Slash Cuts, or V&H bigshots.

I dont know if the cruzers will fit the 1100.

If you are doing pipe and filter you are most likely going to have to rejet. Sometimes you can get away without depending on the pipe choice. As for tires its a real personal choice I suggest talking with others and get a feeling I mount all kinds of different brands people seem to like most. If your looking for someone to do the work give me a shout I can hook you up. Many threads on here about me :D

Back
Top Bottom