UVIP kicks *** | GTAMotorcycle.com

UVIP kicks ***

RodneyBR

Site Supporter
I just had a UVIP (Used Vehicle Information Package) done on a Yamaha FZ6 this questionable dealer was selling. Guess what, it's shows as UNFIT and 1 lien.

Maybe this dealer is unaware, but I'm glad I got a UVIP done :) Saved my butt. The best $20 I've ever spent, expect for that time in Vegas... j/k

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Newsflash: every vehicle is 'unfit' until a safety inspection is done and a certificate given

Second newsflash: liens can be removed, and at times the change isn't even updated on the UVIP until the financial institution is 'reminded' to do so.

Newsflash: every vehicle is 'unfit' until a safety inspection is done and a certificate given

Second newsflash: liens can be removed, and at times the change isn't even updated on the UVIP until the financial institution is 'reminded' to do so.

We'll in that case a UVIP is useless. Hmm

Its not useless. It can tell you if the vehicle has a branded title, if it was in an accident, if you might be dealing with odometer fraud, how many previous owners there have been, if there's a lien (that you further look into) and the list goes on...

But the "unfit" part is common. If you transfer a vehicle title without a safety, it gets registered as unfit until a safety is performed.

First one incorrect it's only unfit if you register it without a plate and no certification. Vehicle will remain fit under the previous registration and a temporary sticker. Certification is required to permanently attach a plate.

We'll in that case a UVIP is useless. Hmm

Not useless. You weren't taking the dealer's word for it without proof. That's smart. He's a stranger with zero obligations to you, other than take your money for a potentially damaged bike.

I would double check the dealer is actually registered so with omvic. When a vehicle is transferred into a dealers name as long as it was FIT prior and they have a current dealer number it will remain fit. If the dealer is registered I would look further into the history of the bike and question why it was transferred unfit.

Rodney, are you talking about the ZZR600 that you were interested in recently or is this another find?

dont dealers provide uvip???

name of dealer???

No, they don't have to. When I bought the TW200 from GP Bikes and the 650R from Motosports Pickering, no UVIP. These are reputable dealers though. Even so, maybe buyers should have a UVIP done. I would imagine though reputable dealers do their own checks before they accept a trades or buy used bikes.

A good reputable dealer will provide the UVIP. Kinda lame to close a deal then say to the customer, "Oh, BTW you need to get the UVIP and come back before I can transfer ownership to you."

dont dealers provide uvip???

name of dealer???

Is the UVIP required for all sales and transfers? No. The following situations are exempt:
Business-related:

• Registered motor vehicle dealers
  • Multiple transfers (2 or more) between corporations
  • TTA and taxi licensing
  • Corporation to shareholder
  • Transfers of wrecked/stolen vehicles to insurance companies
  • Transfers of repossessed vehicles
http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_residents/053408

+1 JJ. Someone who actually checks the freely available information on the inter web.

Evidently I was mistaken. But I assume the dealer has already done a proper background check for the bike he's selling?
The dealer should check the history but it doesn't help as much as you think.

1. Dealer cannot sell a vehicle with a lien, if so they are responsible to release it or provide you with a lien release letter.
2. UVIP does not disclose accidents, it only tells if you if it's a clean title, branded, salvaged, etc...
- If a dealer is plating the bike, he will not be able to do so if it's salvaged.
3. Owner history... the dealer could care less about how many owners it has had in it's history simply because it's an item to be resold... you as a buyer should look into it though because if it has been transferred too many times in a short period of time, it's usually a tell-tale of a lemon.

The dealer should check the history but it doesn't help as much as you think.

1. Dealer cannot sell a vehicle with a lien, if so they are responsible to release it or provide you with a lien release letter.
2. UVIP does not disclose accidents, it only tells if you if it's a clean title, branded, salvaged, etc...
- If a dealer is plating the bike, he will not be able to do so if it's salvaged.
3. Owner history... the dealer could care less about how many owners it has had in it's history simply because it's an item to be resold... you as a buyer should look into it though because if it has been transferred too many times in a short period of time, it's usually a tell-tale of a lemon.

Apparently they CAN sell a vehicle with a lien ... I've seen one story where a dealer sold a bike to a member on GTAM with a lien, albeit "unintentionally". It was resolved easily in the end. I think the main reason that dealer's aren't required to provide UVIPs is that there are already repercussions for them if they try to pull funny stuff (see: OMVIC). Private sales that involve funny stuff will probably require a lawsuit to resolve, a simple UVIP check can sidestep some basic problems.

Back
Top Bottom