Useless oil filter wrench | GTAMotorcycle.com

Useless oil filter wrench

ungoloth

Site Supporter
Upon oil filter removal attempt, the cheap crappy tire strap type oil filter wrench just slips. When I installed the filter I followed the manufacturers torque requirements (3/4 turn from finger tight) but the cheesy wrench just isn't up to the task for removal. I just ordered a small oil filter chain wrench on Amazon. I now have to wait weeks to remove the filter. Good thing it's winter cause apparently I have time :) I was looking forward to farting around the garage eh. I guess I'll find something else to do until the bike show this weekend. Happy Apexes.

I know CT sells those cap-style wrenches which makes life easier in some cases. Didn't they have them? I've used them in pretty tight spaces, so they should work fine unless your bike is a bit odd.

I've had the Crap Tire cap style crap style. Lisle 63600 ftw.

I just spent the extra few $$$ on the K&N filters with hexnuts on the end. Saved massive headaches and was a lot cleaner that what I used to do which was ram a screwdriver through the filter body and twist it off. Mind you, I never had one stick with the last method.

I just spent the extra few $$$ on the K&N filters with hexnuts on the end. Saved massive headaches and was a lot cleaner that what I used to do which was ram a screwdriver through the filter body and twist it off. Mind you, I never had one stick with the last method.

Probably the best option, i had the same issues OP is having with oil filter caps/wrenches

In the end i just ended up using my hands to twist it lose

8002216.jpg

Comes in three sizes from Princess Auto. They go on sale for as little as $5. Works with a 3/8 drive ratchet

Never had a spin on this style couldn't remove.

I saw a piece on YouTube by BMW guru Chris Harris.
He drilled 3 holes into his BMW wrench. He then uses screws to attach the wrench head to the filter.
It then screws out with little difficulty.
He uses this procedure to remove after market oil filters that never should have been used on a BMW.

Last edited:
The most simple solution is to slam a screw driver through the filter and twist away....don't be afraid of damaging the filter, as it's going in the garbage anyways.

Comes in three sizes from Princess Auto. They go on sale for as little as $5. Works with a 3/8 drive ratchet

Never had a spin on this style couldn't remove.

That looks interesting... trying to think if it would have worked on a Ninja 1000/Z1000 (not much clearance, I think)

Never had an issue with the strap style unless it was the cheap rubber pos. Leathet belt works too. Screwdriver is a last resort, hit the thread for the filter and you'll be sorry. K+N filters fail so that's risky. This isn't rocket science.

couple wraps of duct tape around filter, the CTC cheapo strap wrench gets some traction

then watch for PA sale and get a better wrench

I really hate that jammed screwdriver mess and oil all over, but it does work.

Why not get the proper filter wrench for the size of filter you have and save all the headaches. A rubber strap style is going to slip unless the filter is clean and has no oil or dirt on it. What bike do you have? Just get the correct one for your bike : https://fortnine.ca/en/bikemaster-oil-filter-wrench Kawasaki uses the 65mm btw!

3c1c133c9c154b58269dfa168283ac22.jpg

Last edited:
That looks interesting... trying to think if it would have worked on a Ninja 1000/Z1000 (not much clearance, I think)

You need about 3-5 mm around the circumference of the filter, but as you turn the tool, it has a slide mechanism which bites down into the filter, so that reduces. I looked at a google image; looks like no issue.

Why not get the proper filter wrench for the size of filter you have and save all the headaches. A rubber strap style is going to slip unless the filter is clean and has no oil or dirt on it. What bike do you have? Just get the correct one for your bike : https://fortnine.ca/en/bikemaster-oil-filter-wrench Kawasaki uses the 65mm btw!

3c1c133c9c154b58269dfa168283ac22.jpg

Never seen a "stuck" filter that wasn't over tightened to begin with. A 3/4 turn after finger tight seems excessive to me. The OEM manual says this is correct?? If they give you a specific torque spec and you have room for a torque wrench you can use your new filter wrench (something similar to above) to install to a specified torque value. Once you get it seated (finger tight) I'd be surprised if it turned 3/4 before you hit the torque setting.

They usually aren't over tightened, but rubber gasket ends up stuck to the block over time and heat cycles, due to not being pre-lubed. I use the useless type tool, lined with some cork gasket material, she's goot now.

Take a strip of course sandpaper and double it over with the sand exposed to the outside, then wrap the strip around the filter so that the sand rests up against the filter. Then on the exposed sand side wrap your crappy tire strap wrench, bob's your uncle the filter will spin off. ;)

Take a strip of course sandpaper and double it over with the sand exposed to the outside, then wrap the strip around the filter so that the sand rests up against the filter. Then on the exposed sand side wrap your crappy tire strap wrench, bob's your uncle the filter will spin off. ;)
Thank you. Did that ever work well. The filter torque was not excessive at all, the wrench just needed a tad more grip. mission accomplished. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom