Useless oil filter wrench | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Useless oil filter wrench

Not sure if it would make a difference, but would those longer filters stress the oil pump more than the engineers expected? It doesn't seem like much, but when they get dirty...I could definitely fit one on the Burgman since the filter sit parallel to the motor and is nowhere near the headers/exhaust.

For some of us, the cap wrench is the only option.

04_r1200gs_engine_oil_change.jpg

Very similar to mine actually (not my pic but same bike):

hqdefault.jpg

The funny part though is with the right tools, oil changes on this bike are pretty much a dream -- Don't have to remove any fairings or anything...just access the filter from below, pop the drain plug or use a valve, then close it up and screw on a new filter, then ride.

This subject is too controversial for my taste. I'm out.

Not sure if it would make a difference, but would those longer filters stress the oil pump more than the engineers expected? It doesn't seem like much, but when they get dirty...I could definitely fit one on the Burgman since the filter sit parallel to the motor and is nowhere near the headers/exhaust.

Bigger filter should equal no more pressure on the oil pump than a small one, and if it gets too high the bypass will come into play anyways regardless of filter size.

Pressure is apt to build a lot slower actually because there's more filter material that would have to become dirty before that'd even be an issue.

Its generally accepted that if you can fit a longer filter than stock without any fitment issues or risk of road damage (if it hung too low for example) then it's win-win to go with it. I run a filter on my VTX that's about 50% longer than the Honda stock one.

LOL, inreb. As per NeilV's reply to my suggestion of the Channelock tool - I think you're on to something. I think it just boils down to the bike and the filter location. So it's nice for everyone to offer up different suggestions/tools and hopefully one of them works for the person. On my FZ8 nothing worked for me except for that tool. Nothing fit in the space, but that Channellock tool worked a treat.

I suppose the K&N filter with the welded nut for the socket is the only foolproof option, but you'd just have to source out your supply of that filter.

Bigger filter should equal no more pressure on the oil pump than a small one, and if it gets too high the bypass will come into play anyways regardless of filter size.

Pressure is apt to build a lot slower actually because there's more filter material that would have to become dirty before that'd even be an issue.

Its generally accepted that if you can fit a longer filter than stock without any fitment issues or risk of road damage (if it hung too low for example) then it's win-win to go with it. I run a filter on my VTX that's about 50% longer than the Honda stock one.

+1 ... I use one 3/4" longer.

channellock-B00004SBCU-440-profile-lg.jpg

Works for me, every time.

Excellent choice. I used an 18" long version of that to get at car filters via reaching in past the tire and wheel well. Leverage and reach in one. Then you have a big friggin set of pliers for the other odd jobs the rest of the time.

I've actually had filters rip apart and still stay threaded hard when trying the screwdriver stab method. Then it's a real mess to sort out.

This subject is too controversial for my taste. I'm out.

I think you mean controversOIL.

@Private Pilot: I guess that makes sense about the larger surface area, though you would need to add slightly more oil to the motor overall (not a big deal obviously). As for clearance, my filter is parallel to the ground, marginally higher than the oil drain plug. If the cases ever bottomed out on something, the filter would hit too, regardless of the length.

Last edited:
I think you mean controversOIL.

Just when you think you're out they suck you back in. I use an oversize orange spin on Fram on the front of the Buell HD motor because a) it's in your face anti chrome b) it's shear size indicates I'm not to be trifled with and c) it holds more oil. But what a mess changing oil on that beast! That's on HD, I'm just the operator.

You guys go nuts with oversize filters and diesel truck oil.I'll stay with the educated more than me engineers that designed these things.Just saying.

prol.. mentioned already, but, lube that seal with virgin oil first..

hands on & off for usual stuff ..or whatever

safety wire is +1

Last edited:

i call the usual bs

You guys go nuts with oversize filters and diesel truck oil.I'll stay with the educated more than me engineers that designed these things.Just saying.

You have absolutely nothing to loose and everything to gain by using a larger filter - the filter picks up more contaminants (less bypass) and will still be effectively filtering your oil beyond the point where a smaller filter would have gone into partial or full bypass because the elements have reached capacity and can't effectively pass oil any longer.

As for choice of oil, well, that's another topic.

i call the usual bs

And your info to backup your argument? Or you just don't understand therefore disagree simply because of such?

You have absolutely nothing to loose and everything to gain by using a larger filter - the filter picks up more contaminants (less bypass) and will still be effectively filtering your oil beyond the point where a smaller filter would have gone into partial or full bypass because the elements have reached capacity and can't effectively pass oil any longer.

As for choice of oil, well, that's another topic.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by yodude

i call the usual bs
And your info to backup your argument? ?
your words, of which you happen to speak volumes, repeated ad nauseam

Last edited:
Who doesn't like a big filter hanging out in the breeze? Most engineering is a compromise at the best of times. Ever ridden a cruiser? I rest my case.

Back
Top Bottom