US421 - The Snake | GTAMotorcycle.com

US421 - The Snake

ifiddles

found this on one of my lady riding group websites...looks cool...anyone every gone?

~http://www.421thesnake.com/links.html

Lots of good reviews about the area.
Generally a cross between Dragon and Cherohala is the general consensus.

Doing a 4 Day at the Dragon (been there 4 times already, more to come!), 3 Days at the Snake trip later this summer.

Fantastic road, on the day I ran it, there was almost no traffic on it.

Bring extra pegs!!!

Go up one side of a mountain and down the other, road rises up to meet you on some corners (cambered). So even though you are not pushing too hard the pegs on the zx6 always took a beating. First year down there I ended up with just a stub, subsequently the next year's I brought extras.

Don't speed through Mountain City. Bunch of schools on the way in and out and the cops mean business when they threaten to toss your arse in jail....

We do Deals for a few days and play on 129, move over and stay in Abingdon to enjoy the 421.

Have a blast, I like this place better than the Gap, less busy and more corners. I need another street bike dammit.

There are many roads off the blue ridge that are excellent. Shady valley is one of the meeting points where many sportbikes gather on any given summer day. Pick up MAD MAPS for the area, best riding maps available.

The snake still is still the best single riding road in the south east.

Here is a shot of my previous touring rig, lol at shady valley. No it is NOT the Honda.

Weight truly is the enemy.... I dropped ( lost) close to 70 lbs on my latest rig.

Abingdon is a good spot to stay in to check out the area including the snake as "meme' pointed out.

Google earth 421 and compare it to US129

20140817_115531.jpg

BB

Last edited:
I head down to the Snake every year. It's a great road to get into a rhythm on and +1 on the good souvenir shop / gas bar right in the middle at Shady Valley. Not too far away is the "Back of the Dragon" and also check out Linville Falls Hwy which is very nearby - the whole area is simply fantastic. I'm hoping to run this route next time I head down: https://goo.gl/maps/YTEHzVMsQjG2

Here's a vid of the southern section, riding north to the Shady Valley Store from last year.
[video=youtube;oo-DeYXKPXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-DeYXKPXU[/video]

I head down to the Snake every year. It's a great road to get into a rhythm on and +1 on the good souvenir shop / gas bar right in the middle at Shady Valley. Not too far away is the "Back of the Dragon" and also check out Linville Falls Hwy which is very nearby - the whole area is simply fantastic. I'm hoping to run this route next time I head down: https://goo.gl/maps/YTEHzVMsQjG2

Nice choice of music. Man do I wish it were summer....

See how much work it is for the FJR, long wheelbase and too much weight. One year I went down on the blue ridge on my zx-11. The next year on a 99 R1. Same speed and the lean angle on the zx-11 was so much greater.

You can see how different this road is from the dragon, you can catch your breath.

Back of dragon is ok, not as good as 421. Below is a picture at the entrance to the back of the dragon.

20140821_105147_1_1.jpg

BB

Last edited:
great video shane...looks awesome but exhausting at the same time...curious how fast (KPH) you guys were going (and you don't have to be exact if you don't want to)...

It's not exhausting at all - it's exhilarating! Once you know how to move around on your bike, then it becomes really enjoyable. If you haven't learned how to do that, then take an advanced riding course of some sort and you will be able to be able to ride twisty roads with much less effort. And this isn't a race, so we're not going all out, but riding at a spirited, but safe pace. Some go slow and enjoy the scenery and others push the pace a little more. If you are going slow and someone comes up behind you, then just move over and let them pass and everyone enjoys it at their pace.

As for the speeds, we are generally staying pretty close to the speed limits I think. In the curves were are probably doing between 40-80kph depending on the degree of curve. In the straights we are generally going about 20% above the speed limit. You can see my speedometer in the vid and I don't think I ever really go below 40kph or much over 100kph.

edit - turns out the speed limit on the Snake is 35mph, so we are speeding most of the time:) who knew!

Last edited:
Thanks for the google maps link shane, I'll save it for our trip. Bigevil and I decided to change the trip up this year and try something new with the snake after quite a few years at the gap. We'll see how it pans out. I hear busabim about weight being the enemy. Wore through a set of tires in a week on a VFR1200, interestingly the front faster than the rear. I guess its a fair bit of weight to slow down. Was a little bit jealous of evil's RC8 last year, it was a blast to ride on the gap itself. The VFR was still good, but you have to lay it on the deck in pretty much every corner to make it fun, which is quite the work out. We'll be bringing a street-legalized version of the track only RR this time around :) Fortunately both the CBR and VFR have folding pegs, which has been quite handy.

Ridden it dozens of time, great road, flows well. Better than the GAP, because fewer cruisers, clowns and cops. If you go to the area, get a good map, tons of GREAT small roads. The "named" roads are popular, but that is also their downfall. I know roads that make Deals Gap look like an expressway.

Be careful when riding this road. Unlike the Dragon the trucks keep on coming. Last year one of my buddies was run right off the road into the ditch by an oncoming semi using every inch of the road on a blind curve, with a sheer rock face. So pay attention, don't let the locals, who ride like Rossi goad you into a mistake.

Interesting, think this'll be on the route on the next NC trip

Be careful when riding this road. Unlike the Dragon the trucks keep on coming. Last year one of my buddies was run right off the road into the ditch by an oncoming semi using every inch of the road on a blind curve, with a sheer rock face. So pay attention, don't let the locals, who ride like Rossi goad you into a mistake.

Good to know

I recently bought some side cases from a guy in Asheville, NC and instead of having them shipped up here, I'm going to ride down and pick them up on the first weekend I can get away. Hoping to get enough time off work to make it a fun trip, like 3 days down and 3 days back would be nice, but doubt that will happen.

Anyone ever go down that way in late May or June and see the rhodo's in bloom?

oh and here's another route for the area south of the Snake. https://goo.gl/maps/XwNadvjtydJ2

We'll be there end of July, but thanks for the route, looks fun

Did most of this today, stopped at Burnsville NC to look for a motel. Great route, some iffy road conditions with the storms lately but overall it was awesome.

Just returned from a rip down there, and just like last year a blind corner and a semi with a 53ft. trailer coming the other way. So be aware that unlike the Dragon, trucks use this road all the time and you won't see them coming and there is very little room to get out of the way. Heads up.

Back
Top Bottom