US Prices Vs Canadian Prices | GTAMotorcycle.com

US Prices Vs Canadian Prices

Kuro

Site Supporter
I'm in the market for some new gear and I've been researching on the stuff I want.

So I'll go to a site like revzilla.com or something, check out all their reviews... OK Great. Cart is full of stuff I want and happy with prices. Then I'll go the local store (cuz I'm one of those people who enjoys instant gratification) to buy the gear.. but find that the prices were way higher. So much higher that if I paid for shipping from a store in the states, and paid duty, it would still be cheaper than buying it locally. (Although after all that, not buy that much) Sometimes if you're lucky, your package may slip by without you having to pay duty/customs.

I hear alot of people shipping stuff to a US address near the border and then picking it up there for a nominal storage fee... but what gives? Whats the reason for the huge difference in pricing?

Last time I checked, 1 CAD wasn't far off from parity.

Check a exchange rate site or just type "exchange rate in google" to be able to check daily. We are pretty close today I CAD = 0.97 cents US.

You can buy things in the states and have it ship to a US address close to the border, there are a few services you cna look into.

I think you can also talk to your local vendor about what you are seeing online and see whatthey can do if anything.

You are the consumer, you have the choice and power to put it in motion.

Canadian Distributors hold a monopoly and dictate pricing

Some of it is in the profit margins... but shipping adds a whole other layer. I am lucky i live near the border and work almost right at the border, running over when needed is not a big deal.

I recently bought a juacket an gloves, had it shipped to my buddies US outfit that receives packages and up to skid lots, very cheap. it cost me $12 in shipping to his place, where it would have been almost $50 to my house, plus duty if they could even ship (Licensing restruictions). Jacket was $70 vs $200 here, plus whatever I saved on the gloves. Hoem I would have spent nearly $300.00 where all in to pick up in the US I was under $125

Most local dealers are quite flexible on their pricing if you ask, especially if you're buying multiple items.

But I agree, the difference between US prices vs. CAD prices on moto gear is insane.

On top of great prices you get much better service from online stores. If you think about it all those reviews help you choose the best product, not what the salesmen try to push. They stand behind their products. Try and return a helmet in canada because the visor is terrible. Motorcycle superstore took back my AFX-39 after I used for two days.

If you're buying a few items, most stores will work out a nice bundle for you and the savings could be worth it.

Don't worry about the why it's cheaper because there are so many reasons. Just buy your stuff from the states and save.

Don't worry about the why it's cheaper because there are so many reasons. Just buy your stuff from the states and save.

Well I want to support the local stores... If they have no choice and there is a good reason for it, I might be more inclined to buy locally. If they're just gouging us, then I'll go through a bit more hassle to save a few hundred bucks.

If you're buying a few items, most stores will work out a nice bundle for you and the savings could be worth it.

I wonder if I asked about price match, would they honour it at least somewhat? I think a pair of armoured shorts were like $40 to $50 difference between here and States. If I said "this store in the US is $x amount cheaper. Is there anything you can do on the price?"... what would the likely response would be?

Well I want to support the local stores... If they have no choice and there is a good reason for it, I might be more inclined to buy locally. If they're just gouging us, then I'll go through a bit more hassle to save a few hundred bucks.

I can understand if the prices are only slightly off. The benefit of getting it immediately might be worth the extra. But if it's way off and people stick to the "I want to support the local stores" bs I get slightly irritated. Since you started this thread I'm assuming the price difference is huge.

I wonder if I asked about price match, would they honour it at least somewhat? I think a pair of armoured shorts were like $40 to $50 difference between here and States. If I said "this store in the US is $x amount cheaper. Is there anything you can do on the price?"... what would the likely response would be?

Doesn't hurt to ask. Might get lucky although I doubt it.

For the most part lately I have had zero issue getting local stores to come close to the US retailer pricing with shipping if there is a discrepancy. As an example somethings $20 USD you can expect to pay $29.95+tax CAD. Somebody at some point has to pay the shipping and brokerage fees and exchange. Recently I ordered from Bluestreak and price compared to Motomummy. Bluestreak was almost $100 less for the exact same things.

Mind you with what's being said, there's a couple stores just outside the GTA that can beat, match or come close to US pricing on MOST things...Sturgess and Two Wheel Motosport.

For everything else if you shop around you can find deals

Wish I could buy insurance in the states and have it shipped up here ;)

A coworker just tried to get a Busa shipped to Canada for her husband because he wanted an American Color scheme.Turns out Suzuki wouldn't do it because I was too much hassle for them.When asked they said there wasn't enough riders here for them to bother shipping it to our market and they they would have to go to Detroit and get it themselves.Now Im done with Suzuki and wont be getting another one.It's the same story with everything Canada's market share is to small and not worth it for big companies to go out of there way event at a premium in some cases

For the most part lately I have had zero issue getting local stores to come close to the US retailer pricing with shipping if there is a discrepancy. As an example somethings $20 USD you can expect to pay $29.95+tax CAD. Somebody at some point has to pay the shipping and brokerage fees and exchange. Recently I ordered from Bluestreak and price compared to Motomummy. Bluestreak was almost $100 less for the exact same things.

Must depend what you're buying. I recently did the same, and Motomummy was about 25% cheaper when looking for a chain and sprocket kit. I realize those savings can dissapear in a hurry due to import fees, but I haven't been nailed when buying from mm in the past. Customer service from both stores was great, and I would prefer to buy locally, but the savings is pretty much the exact cost of speedo drd so it's hard to justify it.

That said I have got some SMOKING deals from Dave at Competition Cycle in the past.

If any other local vendors reading this have any good deals on quality chain and sprocket kits, please pm me as I still havent pulled the trigger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom