U.S. Driver's Licence | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

U.S. Driver's Licence

As is typical in the US, each state approaches it differently. You can hold a FLA and ONT license at the same time. You need a FLA dirvers permit to get insurance in the state of FLA and you need proof of insurance to get a vehicle plate in FLA. There is no drivers test if you have a valid CDN permit. But each state is different.

As is typical in the US, each state approaches it differently. You can hold a FLA and ONT license at the same time. You need a FLA dirvers permit to get insurance in the state of FLA and you need proof of insurance to get a vehicle plate in FLA. There is no drivers test if you have a valid CDN permit. But each state is different.
That's a restricted FL licence, you cannot use it outside the state of Florida. Florida issues these to make it easier for snowbirds who need to register cars/bikes and get insurance in the state.

If you do attempt to use an in-state FL licence outside FL, you are subject to whatever state/provincial penalty exists for carrying 2 licences. In Ontario that would be up to a Judge as there is no set fine, if your ON licence is suspended and you present another licence, you're gonna see at least a $1000 fine + up to 6 mo jail if there are aggravating circumstances.

The op's question was A. anybody have a US and ontario license, B. is your bike insured in the state which issued the license.

The insurance follows the registration of the motorcycle, not the driver's license. So, if the bike is registered (has a permit) in Ontario, it must be insured in Ontario.

This is not entirely true. I lived in the USA for 3 years on a temporary visa. I took my bike down with me when I was there. I had to get an American Drivers License. However since I was only in the USA Temporarily I was not required to to register the bike in the USA. I had Ontario Plates but was insured using an american insurance company.

This is not entirely true. I lived in the USA for 3 years on a temporary visa. I took my bike down with me when I was there. I had to get an American Drivers License. However since I was only in the USA Temporarily I was not required to to register the bike in the USA. I had Ontario Plates but was insured using an american insurance company.
That differs by state.

In most states and provinces, if you live in that state or province (even temporarily) you legally have 60-90 days to switch the plates (and insurance) to the new jurisdiction. Did the American insurance company ask you where the vehicle was plated? Probably not, as they assume it was plated in the state you lived.

My neighbour lady drives a van with New Jersey plates for the last 6 years. Her exhusband lives there and may have given it to her. Have no idea how this will pan out if she is in a serious accident. A claim that she is a visitor? I think not. I know NJ insurance rates are about half of Ontario but mandatory liability coverage is $50,000 or $100,000. Somehow I don't think she has entirely thought this out. Certainly the law in Ontario is that residents are given a few weeks in which to license and register the vehicle, and obviously that hasn't been done.

Our friend has a company car with Illinios plates for three years now, he has a house in Chicago. Car spends at least 2/3rds of its time in Ontario at his other house. I've asked him 'how does that work?' . His answer, the car was 10K less , ins is 1/2 price , and its registered to a US business. There can be a lot of layers on these onions.

Our friend has a company car with Illinios plates for three years now, he has a house in Chicago. Car spends at least 2/3rds of its time in Ontario at his other house. I've asked him 'how does that work?' . His answer, the car was 10K less , ins is 1/2 price , and its registered to a US business. There can be a lot of layers on these onions.

That type of thing works as long as there is no claim...the test is if there is an issue.

Back
Top Bottom