Tucking on highway - wind noise etc | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tucking on highway - wind noise etc

ok, so its only about my 3rd month on my 2008 250r. im getting used to maintaining highway speeds (120+) but find if im not almost resting my chin on the tank, i take a beating from the wind. i also find if i turn my head to shoulder check, theres quite a bit of turbulence from the wind over the stock windscreen. i know it definately looks funny to be full tucked on a 250 but i find its the only way i can ride comfortably for longer periods of time on the highway. any suggestions outside a double bubble ?

Wear ear plugs

Some people ride without a windscreen at all.
I found the wind to be less on my 650 without the screen or front fairings on it. The windscreen directs all the wind from the front of the bike right into your head which makes more turbulence than having no wind protection at all (because the air is spread out over the whole body instead of just aimed at your head).

Just tuck. Who cares what others think. I do if I'm going over about 120ish.

Can you really be charged for racing if a cop sees you tucking? You're just ducking out of wind...

did a 6 hour ride a few weeks ago. my ears took a beating from the wind.

on the way back i wore ear plugs. I will never do long highway rides without them again! I should have listed to my friend and wore them on the first ride.

For me, my tank bag seems to do the trick. Takes a tiny bit of wind off of me, and I can also rest my chest on it and relax a bit on my SV.

Mights be worth looking into

Wear ear plugs

Yes. You should wear ear plugs for any ride. Wind and engine noise will easily cause permanent damage. I usually forget to grab 'em before I head out though... really should stop doing that.

Tucking behind the windscreen is a pretty decent way to draw police attention to yourself.
It's also a good way to significantly reduce your silhouette and therefore visibility.
It goes without saying that it also reduces your field/reach of vision and makes shoulder checks exactly that - checking your shoulders.

I've read some good advice here so I won't repeat it. Leave the racing tuck for the track and adapt yourself, the bike, gear or all of the above for a comfortable ride in the upright position (as much as your bike allows, of course).

I tuck on the hwy all the time (when im riding alone) saves gas in a big way and is a lot less tiring. Oh and someone said you "could get a street racing ticket if the right officer saw you", I invite any cop to **** around like that, please do lol.

If your riding with others then dont tuck, it makes it harder to keep your position in the group and does attract attention. Imagine seeing 10+ bikers go down the hwy in full tuck hahahha

For me, my tank bag seems to do the trick. Takes a tiny bit of wind off of me, and I can also rest my chest on it and relax a bit on my SV.

Mights be worth looking into

I lean on my tank bag too. I'll keep a sweater in there to make it nice and full, yet soft, and once I am at speed I just lean forward and "relax".
Keeps me from having to hold myself up with my thighs on the tank or with my back.
Love it.

I tuck on the hwy all the time (when im riding alone) saves gas in a big way and is a lot less tiring. Oh and someone said you "could get a street racing ticket if the right officer saw you", I invite any cop to **** around like that, please do lol.

Yes, I was the one who posted that statement. It's an accurate statement.

What I don't understand is why you would "invite any cop to **** around like that". At worst it's his word against yours and more likely than not I'm predicting the court system would rule in favour of him.

I'm not saying tuck or don't tuck, I'm saying I was explicitly told by OPP that if you tuck it can be construed as racing (of course that is dependent on the officer's perception) and then it's a different ballgame. If you get a 7 day and tow fees, you're already down.

Big balls, bad attitude and fast motorcycles is usually a bad combination.

Cheers,
Two

I'm not saying tuck or don't tuck, I'm saying I was explicitly told by OPP that if you tuck it can be construed as racing (of course that is dependent on the officer's perception) and then it's a different ballgame.

I agree. Gotta judge when you feel it's ok to do it.
I am sure that for smaller bike owners (such as a CBR125 for example) they can just explain that in order to maintain a proper highway speed with the other motorists, it helps a lot to reduce wind drag simply by tucking.
The officer will be able to tell if you're just tucking and slowly overtaking a truck, or if you're tucking and passing 5 cars in 2 seconds (which would strongly indicate you're speeding).

I was tucked in on the highway not long ago and there was an OPP cruiser right behind me and nothing came of it...
Did I get lucky? I don't think so...

That's completely retarded that "tucking" somehow has any relation to whether you are speeding/racing. Heck, I've tucked at 60 KPH before just to get out of the wind.

That's completely retarded that "tucking" somehow has any relation to whether you are speeding/racing.

It is retarded, but so is associating bikes with top cases with mature and responsible riders. That's what people do, whether you understand and accept it or not, and cops are people too. I decide to use misconceptions/stereotypes to my advantage whenever possible. That includes riding in a comfortable position and with plenty of room for various baggage while those riding in shorts and sneakers tucked behind their windscreens attract all negative attention. Given the same speed and riding style, they are considerably more likely to be pulled over and end up with a ticket, even if they are not guilty of anything.

Yes. You should wear ear plugs for any ride. Wind and engine noise will easily cause permanent damage. I usually forget to grab 'em before I head out though... really should stop doing that.

I notice at the end of my ride on the way home my exhaust never sounds as loud as it did when i left, I should deff get some ear plugs cause m ***** loud.

Wow this thread is still alive!

Ill sum it up...
1. Wear ear plugs, unless you like hearing loss
2. Grip the tank with your knees
3. Ya, the wind is hitting you in the chest, head, etc... get over it or sell your bike

NEXT TOPIC!!!!

Yes, I was the one who posted that statement. It's an accurate statement.

What I don't understand is why you would "invite any cop to **** around like that". At worst it's his word against yours and more likely than not I'm predicting the court system would rule in favour of him.

I'm not saying tuck or don't tuck, I'm saying I was explicitly told by OPP that if you tuck it can be construed as racing (of course that is dependent on the officer's perception) and then it's a different ballgame. If you get a 7 day and tow fees, you're already down.

Big balls, bad attitude and fast motorcycles is usually a bad combination.

Cheers,
Two

Thats like saying... having your seat in your car leaned back is illegal. Body position does not determine speed or riding style. I said I invite a pig to play that game with me. I meant it. I would love to embarrass a cop infront of a judge and his fellow officers.

Wow this thread is still alive!

Ill sum it up...
1. Wear ear plugs, unless you like hearing loss
2. Grip the tank with your knees
3. Ya, the wind is hitting you in the chest, head, etc... get over it or sell your bike

NEXT TOPIC!!!!

+1000000. Stop being nancys. Take your dresses off and ride

Back
Top Bottom