Trimming Trees | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trimming Trees

Umm talking about how to shape it not dispose of it.

BTW the transfer stations are closed
Thanks for playing ;)
Shaping those things never goes well, when they get that size.
Cutting the leader / top....doesn't make a happy tree, and never looks right.
This time of yr, (nice moist ground / roots) that tree should pop right out of the ground. Properly placed chain on the stump attached to your vehicle.....take the slack out.......hammer the gas. Cut to desired length, on the ground. I did it with a 73 toyata celica yrs ago....same size, and a few since. (kids are both landscapers & 1 is an arborist)
I just got back from dumping several brown bags 20 minutes ago. Not in a ditch either!
Transfer Station is as open as it ever was........just don't plan on paying with cash (household garbage only).

Take a shot at trimming them, best soon before new shoots/growth start, that is you best chance for it not to be ugly forever. They needles (green) are all on the outside and die off in the middle as they get no light, trimming exposes the inside . Normally I would say just cut them down.... but.... most if not all areas are not picking up yard waste so cutting them all the way down may be a pain in the arse to dispose of them. Nothing to lose but your time to try trimming.

If you end up taking them down yourself. I recommend cutting the trunk about 4 feet up and removing any branches (chainsaw is easiest, but any saw will do) then a pruning blade in a sawsall to cut a circle around the base (in the dirt) severing any horizontal roots then a sideways cut to get as much of the taproot, use the four feet of trunk as leverage to break the rest off. Fill any hole left with dirt, no sign they were ever there without special tools.

Last edited:
I helped someone years ago who wanted to remove a hedge. Damn, do those trees get big inside. The end cedars were ~10" in diameter even though outside was only ~36". Just years of trimming and growing. He was planning on towing the trees away with his long tractor and I brought over a real tractor. The lawn tractor didn't have a chance.

I have mixed feelings about hedges/trimmed bushes. They can look good, but the vast majority get neglected and then you are left with a nightmare as trimming doesn't really work. The current house came with some cedar that are a few feet over the walkway. Trimming back to clear the walkway will take all the greenery off that side. I may just slaughter that side and hope it grows back in a year or two.

I just got back from dumping several brown bags 20 minutes ago. Not in a ditch either!
Transfer Station is as open as it ever was........just don't plan on paying with cash (household garbage only).
Well in Toronto all the Transfer stations are closed. I was going to drop off some oil but I can't
As for greenery/leaves etc, I back onto a ravine so anything like that can be tossed back there.

I helped someone years ago who wanted to remove a hedge. Damn, do those trees get big inside. The end cedars were ~10" in diameter even though outside was only ~36". Just years of trimming and growing. He was planning on towing the trees away with his long tractor and I brought over a real tractor. The lawn tractor didn't have a chance.

I have mixed feelings about hedges/trimmed bushes. They can look good, but the vast majority get neglected and then you are left with a nightmare as trimming doesn't really work. The current house came with some cedar that are a few feet over the walkway. Trimming back to clear the walkway will take all the greenery off that side. I may just slaughter that side and hope it grows back in a year or two.
I'm doing that this spring. I have a 20' cedar hedge between me and the neighbour, the hedge was planted along the fenceline in the early 70s. Over the years it got to be about 8' thick. 3 years ago the neighbour sheared his side back to the trunk of the trees -- killed the damn hedge -- since it's 4" on my side and behind a frost fence it's my job to remove it. Not happy to say the least.

Good news is the guys that service my maple trees are giving me a killer deal -- cutting and chipping the hedge for $250. I'll sit on the deck and have a few cocktails while I watch them sweat.

I'm doing that this spring. I have a 20' cedar hedge between me and the neighbour, the hedge was planted along the fenceline in the early 70s. Over the years it got to be about 8' thick. 3 years ago the neighbour sheared his side back to the trunk of the trees -- killed the damn hedge -- since it's 4" on my side and behind a frost fence it's my job to remove it. Not happy to say the least.

Good news is the guys that service my maple trees are giving me a killer deal -- cutting and chipping the hedge for $250. I'll sit on the deck and have a few cocktails while I watch them sweat.

I've got exactly the same situation but I'm losing more like 6-8 feet at the back and there's fifty feet of the stuff. The neighbour on the other side is decent and we agree we like the privacy so a hedge must remain or be replaced.

Cutting the thing down is easy but removing the stumps and roots, putting in a trench for new plants will be brutal and or expensive. Is a bit more back yard worth a new bike?

Where's shanekingsley? He advised me of the best time of the year to prune back a crab apple tree. Different species have different rules to minimize tree trauma.

I've got exactly the same situation but I'm losing more like 6-8 feet at the back and there's fifty feet of the stuff. The neighbour on the other side is decent and we agree we like the privacy so a hedge must remain or be replaced.

Cutting the thing down is easy but removing the stumps and roots, putting in a trench for new plants will be brutal and or expensive. Is a bit more back yard worth a new bike?
My hedge is 20' tall, about 120' long. It's all pootched after the neighbour shaved it to the fence line. I'm kinda ******, their backyard is 200x150 -- not like he needed more yard space.

Anyhow, removing them isn't that hard. Get a cheep 4000lb tugger winch and snatchblock off ebay ($160), you can pull cedars root and all. The crater left is perfect for replanting, drop the new root in and add soil.

My hedge is 20' tall, about 120' long. It's all pootched after the neighbour shaved it to the fence line. I'm kinda ******, their backyard is 200x150 -- not like he needed more yard space.

Anyhow, removing them isn't that hard. Get a cheep 4000lb tugger winch and snatchblock off ebay ($160), you can pull cedars root and all. The crater left is perfect for replanting, drop the new root in and add soil.

I see myself writing off a cheap chain saw to clean up the roots. It isn't that hard a job just a lot of cutting, bundling and tedium. I can think of better ways to use 2 stroke gas.

Back
Top Bottom