Transitions visors | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transitions visors

I listen to music while riding and wearing earplugs with no issues...using a Scala solo and in-helmet speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. Thanks. I guess i have a lot of homework to do with this stuff. Have never really looked close enough.

Interesting. Thanks. I guess i have a lot of homework to do with this stuff. Have never really looked close enough.
Nothing new under the sun; Photochromic plastic was Invented at Corning laboratories more then half a century ago and this thread is rapidly turning into, fourteen ways to make your motorcycle helmet heavier and cancel out wind noise by filling your ears with even more noise.

I have a Bell with the Transition Visor. I love it, the only annoyance is if you get a stone chip you lose the transition on the spot and it just stays clear.

why not put the tint coating inside the of visor?

You'd have to ask Bell. I assume that the UV may not activate the coating inside the visor, but not really sure.

No helmet is quiet enough not to wear earplugs the wind noise is damaging your ears everytime. It is actually easier to listen to music etc with earplugs in for me. Or I also use plugphones.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Apparently using headphones in both ears while driving has now been elevated to distracted driving (with convictions registered). Be very careful/do some investigation/make sure you pull the plugs with the helmet if talking to a cop. I don't agree with the decision, but knowledge is power.

The problem with those drop down visors if you wear glasses, you are now looking through 3 layers a good distance apart. Could be a bit weird & distorted.

I had heard that the transition shields did deteriorate over time. Saw Bells acoupla years ago for a decent price that came with them for free.. Bells don't fit my head shape though.

I'd have no probs with a regular visor & my glasses with a sunglass clip, 'cept they don't clip anymore. They are magnetic, & if you have to lift you visor ; the wind blows the "clip" off.

Arai is working on a transition visor, I can't wait. (y)

Too late.

I'll definitely get an Icon Airflite as my next one. With a tinted visor those look sleek as hell.
Don't ride at night often so I just use a tinted visor 95% of the time as is, my current HJC Rpha 70 uses a plastic pinlock or rubber. I'm pretty sure it will last forever and can easily be removed as well.

I've been using Arai helmets just because I was told that they are the safest and quiet. However, SHARK rated Arai helmet 3 out of 5 stars and entry level HJC helmet rated 5 stars. I also tested HJC Rpha 70 and it was noticeably quiet than my Arai. My helmet costs nearly 2x the Rpha 70!!

I'm going to get Rpha 70 next.

Always wanted to try one... but it's $200 for one for my Bell Star. Can almost get a new helmet for that (mid-range, eg scorpion, joe rocket, etc).

I find I can only get 3 riding seasons out of a visor before all the little scratches add up to the point it reduces my visibility to unsafe levels.

I've worn transition glasses for probably 20 years now so my perspective is from those, accordingly:

- I love them for bright sunny days because, hey, automatic sunglasses. Cool.

- I hate them on mostly dull cloudy days as they get too dark and make things feel even more gloomy. Personal preference - if you're someone who wears sunglasses on dull days and likes it this probably won't bother you, but unless the sun is out I don't like any extra level of darkness.

- They take time to change both ways. Clear to dark is fairly quick but the other way around can take time. However, don't mistake "Dark" for "impossible to see" - the earlier mentioned tunnel discussion isn't really a major issue as you'll still be able to see through it even when it's at full darkness. Or just flip up the visor.

Would I want it in a helmet visor? Nope. On dull cloudy days reality is it's going to be too dark for my liking, and there's no way to turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom