Trailering: Google time vs actual time | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailering: Google time vs actual time

timtune

Site Supporter
Three of us are planning to tag team the driving while dragging a trailer on a trip google says is 42 hrs. What's a good actual time guesstimate?
With 3 drivers we should be able to keep a steady pace. I was thinking we could add about 30 minutes for every 3hrs drive time making the trip about 48 hrs. Does that sound reasonable?

Anyone whose done this kind of thing before chime in?

Google says 4100km

back in 2015 hubby and I drove from Cambridge to Oceanside CA (4,092 km) in our Santa Fe hauling our 6x10 trailer full of furniture for his son...we left Friday night at 8pm and hit our hotel Monday night at 11pm...we slept Saturday in the back of the SUV on a piece of foam, and Sunday night in a hotel...only he drove as I wasn't comfortable driving while hauling a trailer...

Three of us are planning to tag team the driving while dragging a trailer on a trip google says is 42 hrs. What's a good actual time guesstimate?
With 3 drivers we should be able to keep a steady pace. I was thinking we could add about 30 minutes for every 3hrs drive time making the trip about 48 hrs. Does that sound reasonable?

Anyone whose done this kind of thing before chime in?
I have gone across the country many times, solo, and with trailers. Based based on your time, 42 hrs, you're crossing the western mountains. The mountains hit about 28 hours from TO, till then you'll be able to keep Google time, after that it really slows down. First, you're getting tired, and once you hit the foothills things really slow down with a trailer. Up hill slows you, and down hill it's pretty much speed limit when towing.

Peace river and San Diego are about 42 hours -- I've done both. 49 hours solo in a car, 60 hours non stop driving in a Suburban pulling a 22' boat. .

Are you saying that you intend to drive a base 42 hr / 4,100 km trip in 48 hr by using 3 drivers?

IMHO, I think this is nuts. You arrive, assuming you don't have an accident on the way and kill yourselves, completely exhausted and have to spend a day recuperating from the trip. Far better to do 1,200 - 1,400 km a day, stop and sleep in a motel and take about 3 to 3.5 days to do the trip. This way you arrive relatively rested and can actually enjoy your first day on your bikes.

Everyone I know who drives non stop anywhere for 1.5 to 2 days straight says the next day (minimum) is a complete washout where they feel totally wasted.

Another thing to consider is how rest factors into your trip. If you pull in after driving non stop for 60 hours, you're toast for at least 1 day after you arrive. If you stop at the mountains, 16 hours away from your destination, get a good sleep, then finish up the drive you won't need that down day, and you won't suffer much in the way of fatigue.

The wife and myself will leave Innisfil Wednesday morning a 6:00 am and arrive in Victorville California 4:00 pm (local time) on Thursday . We tow a 5x7 open trailer with our bikes. Our fuel stops are down to a fine science. At gas stops, I get out of the car, check the bikes, lube bearings (as required). The wife is prepaying for gas and rest room and getting supplies. I am now filling the car. I head in for the restroom and pass her. She is then cleaning the windshield and emptying the garbage. I get the change from the fuel and we are out of there. We are both ready to out about Friday morning by 11:00 am. Google says it's 34hrs. It's pretty accurate for us. Our standard travel time is 36 hrs.

The wife and myself will leave Innisfil Wednesday morning a 6:00 am and arrive in Victorville California 4:00 pm (local time) on Thursday . We tow a 5x7 open trailer with our bikes. Our fuel stops are down to a fine science. At gas stops, I get out of the car, check the bikes, lube bearings (as required). The wife is prepaying for gas and rest room and getting supplies. I am now filling the car. I head in for the restroom and pass her. She is then cleaning the windshield and emptying the garbage. I get the change from the fuel and we are out of there. We are both ready to out about Friday morning by 11:00 am. Google says it's 34hrs. It's pretty accurate for us. Our standard travel time is 36 hrs.
That would be a very good clip!. You're covering 4100km - when you factor in 8x10min NASCAR type gas stops, and 30 minutes at the border. You would need to maintain an average speed of 137kmh.

I've driven LA to Toronto more than a dozen times, I doubt I've ever made that pace. You can't maintain that speed on I80 in the winter, plus there's a ton of delay risk in winter weather, road works, rush hour thru Chicagoland... from Denver west the mountains can be slow slugging due to weather and huge road grades.

I40 adds about 200 KM but the chances of weather, city traffic, and roadwork delays is much lower. Western speed li It's also an easier way to cross the mountains with a trailer.

I'll bet 40 hours. Let us know by sending updates along the way!

So long as weather and the mechanical bits keep going you should be good.

But add weather, toilet breaks, and the unforeseen it could add a boatload of time.

Did the drive from Toronto to Tampa in something like 20hours or so back in 2003. 3 drivers that switched each fuel stop.

Sure we got there. But we’re out for the first day.

Good luck!

One of the more interesting threads on gtam.

Good post OP.

Fora few moments. I thought you might be inquiring as to trailering a bunch of stranded covid partiers from Cancun back home. 😂

I was thinking we'd switch drivers about every 3 hrs.
MM our destination is Dawson Creek. Is that in the mountains?
Also we are not taking this trip in winter but rather early June.
Thanks for the input.

West coast is about 50-52 hrs from here across Canada. Faster on US roads, but then you throw in the unknown of the border crossing.
The fastest I've done it was 44hr with 3 professional drivers... in a PINTO.

Yes Dawson Creek in in mountains.. not THE mountains, but mountains.

50ish hours would be what I'd estimate given what you've said and things like bathroom and food stops that run long....BUT...there's variables:

- Weather. Thats impossible to forecast and can throw a hammer in the best laid plans, especially in the winter when a major snowstorm might put you in a motel because the roads are physically closed.

- Breakdowns - make sure your trailer tires are in excellent shape...if ANY doubts whatsoever, replace them before leaving with a quality high end set of ST (no Chinese bombs), or appropriate 8 or 10 ply LT's better yet), and have the bearings repacked before leaving. The only thing sucks more than being stuck on the side of the road somewhere at 3AM trying to crank on a spare tire as traffic flies past you only feet away is being stuck on the side of the road somewhere at 3AM realizing you've fried a bearing and the race is now welded to the spindle.

- The ability for your team of drivers to maintain a tight schedule and actually do this. This means everyone being on the same page so far as eating, bathroom breaks, and fuel stops...all of those must be rapid, and whenever physically possible, combined. If you have one person who needs to go to the bathroom every hour and refuses to piss on the side of the road somewhere in the middle of the night versus insisting on getting off the highway and finding something open so they can use a bathroom instead, well, that's going to hose you up. If you have people along for the ride that have never done something like this before they may not be super into it after the first 24 hours, realizing they've got full 24 hours to go.. Eating, sleeping, and moving nonstop for basically 2 full days isn't something

To equate it to something on 2 wheels, consider it like an iron butt - there's a schedule and expectations that must be agreed upon and met in order for the whole thing to be successful in the end.

Take two bearing kits , spare tire, the tools to fit them (and grease) , and a jack capable of lifting the trailer .

If you find the pace is wearing , take a break , and don't be afeared to be the guy that calls it . Nodding off at the wheel in Buckkwheat Sask will add a lot of time to the trip.

The above is great, and know how to do the bearings, plan on it being at night, in the middle of nowhere.
Also a plug kit and a compressor, plugged tires without taking them off.
Once you pass Denver it is either a 10 km climb or descent, over and over. Make sure your truck is ready for that.
Some of that scenery is so nice I would not want to pass it in the dark.
We pushed to Denver then slept overnight to be fresh for the mountains.

Was going to ask about the trailer - skinny little 10-12" donuts? This does impact overall road speed. Heavy load on the trailer? Also, buy bearing buddies. I'm thoroughly amazed not all trailers have them.

I was thinking we'd switch drivers about every 3 hrs.
MM our destination is Dawson Creek. Is that in the mountains?
Also we are not taking this trip in winter but rather early June.
Thanks for the input.
I find 5-6 hours at the wheel to be better shifts, that gives the relieved driver a bit of time relax and fall asleep -- it's a bit harder getting to sleep AND getting a restful sleep in a car.

The road to Dawson City is about the only 4000km drive you can make without big mountains as you're more or less following the edge of the prairies. That will help with time and make the last 12 hours less stressful driving.

If I were doing it I'd prefer a full size pickup or a minivan as the tow vehicle for one reason -- room to sleep. Fold the back seats of a Caravan and have as much room as a 2 man tent -- sleeping is a lot easier than the back of a Q7.

Back
Top Bottom