Trailer noob | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer noob

Some years ago I used to tow a 300kg bike on a light homemade trailer, with a Mazda Protege 5.

First, to answer your question "am I missing anything":
1. You did not mention anything about straps to tie down the bike. It is not very straightforward process and if it's not done right there could be some consequences. If you are not familiar with the process check out some youtube videos about the topic and learn how to do it yourself. Invest in some good quality straps.
2. As was mentioned before, there are several ball standards (1" 7/8, 2", etc.), the trailer's coupler will determine what ball size is needed. Try to find out what ball size is required for your trailer. Before attaching any trailer I lube the ball with vaseline. Might be worth paying a visit to your local u-Haul dealer and see the trailer yourself, measure the coupler's height from the ground when the trailer bed is level and use that value to pick the right hitch receiver.
3. Other accessories that you'll need are hitch pin and clip to secure the hitch receiver. These won't break the bank but without them there will be no towing.

A couple of things you might want to consider:
a. The trailer is pushing down on the ball which is behind the rear axle, and the effect is to lift the weight from the front axle. On one of my trips with the Protege (FWD car), I encountered wet pavement and noticed that at 100km/h the front wheels started slipping in trying to keep up the speed. Then I realized then how light is the front axle and slowed down even more.
b. Proper tongue weight is very important and should be 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight. Too much weight on the tongue and you'll lift the front of the car, not enough weight and the trailer will be very unstable. Where you tie down the bike will determine the tongue weight. Check out this video:

Now strapping your bike to the trailer is part 2
Part 3 is parking your trailer, backing in is not easy. Make sure you can get out your parking spot going forward.

BTW: 200 pound tongue weight limit sounds crazy low, that means a large adult could stand on your trailer hitch or trailer tongue and possibly bend it :| That's a scary concept.

Allowable tongue weight for the vehicle and the physical tongue weight the hitch itself is capable of carrying are two very different things. I guarantee you no hitch will bend with 200# on it, but more than that may have the rear bumper of some cars riding very close to the ground considering the lever effect of weight dropped on a hitch.

That's the reason for tongue weight restrictions. The hitch of course plays a roll, but the vehicles capabilities rule all.

What if you were to put a tarp over the bike?

What that be enough to disguise the item you are transporting?

I am guessing is has something to do registered/unregistered vehicles.

Never tarp a bike on a trailer. The tarp will flap (no matter how hard you try) and will damage the paint, chrome...basically anything it flaps against. Even cheap specific motorcycle covers can do the same over time - ones designed for trailering are typically much tighter and have all sorts of straps and such to minimize flapping, but it's still a risk.

Now strapping your bike to the trailer is part 2
Part 3 is parking your trailer, backing in is not easy. Make sure you can get out your parking spot going forward.

Backing isn't hard once you learn how, and practice, like any acquired skill. Like riding a motorcycle. ;)

Never tarp a bike on a trailer. The tarp will flap (no matter how hard you try) and will damage the paint, chrome...basically anything it flaps against. Even cheap specific motorcycle covers can do the same over time - ones designed for trailering are typically much tighter and have all sorts of straps and such to minimize flapping, but it's still a risk.

I agree with you. Not a good idea.

I was just asking for the purpose of getting around the rule of trailing an un-plated vehicle .

I guess its a good idea to bring a spare plate with you to just slap on the bike so its not so obvious.

If it were me, trailering any distance in the winter months, especially through quebec, I'd either find an enclosed trailer, or rent a uhaul or something it will fit into alternately.

Sometimes the extra hassle and money is worth less potential hassle, and no need to potentially need to power wash the bike when getting it home to get all the grime off....particularly if you hit weather. I don't have an issue with power washing bikes (unlike some people seem to), but doing it in subzero temps is the bigger issue.

U haul trailers are really heavy, well built but heavy since you put a sticker on it that says 2000lb max and buddy puts 4000 lbs of top soil in it. With an 800 lb trailer and a 600lb bike you will notice the trailer 'pushing the car' downhill and at stops.
personally I'd find a lighter trailer or bigger tow vehicle

When you get around to setting up tow height, (ball mount) make sure the trailer is close to level and has positive tongue weight. You don't want the ball too high because if you get swaying from too little tongue weight your in for a treat. Your FWD vehicle wasn't made for that.

Measure your hitch's distance to the ground and then get a 200lb friend to sit on the edge of the truck to simulate maximum tongue weight and then remeasure. With the corresponding measurement from the U Haul trailer you can calculate the rise or drop you're going to need to keep the rig level. I've never rented from U Haul but maybe they have a range of drawbars available for you to select.

This trailer looks to me like the bike is very far forward and would put a significant % of the trailer loaded weight on the tongue, certainly more than 10% and maybe even 20% - 25%. Not an issue for an SUV or a mid size pickup, but probably a big issue for a small ford Focus. If the trailer is 800 lb and the bike 400 lb then you may well have more than 200 lb tongue weight. You may have to position the bike further back in the trailer to not exceed you 200 lb tongue weight limit.
1582832040103.png

From U Haul web page.

Tongue weight
This guideline is to help you make sure the trailer is loaded properly by checking the tongue weight. DO NOT disconnect the trailer to do the following.

Step 1: With the tow vehicle and trailer empty, and the trailer attached to your tow vehicle, measure the distance from the ground to the top of the trailer coupler handwheel.

Step 2: With the trailer fully loaded and the tow vehicle empty, measure the distance from the ground to the top of the trailer coupler handwheel.

Step 3: Subtract the answer in Step 2 from the answer in Step 1. (Answer 1 – Answer 2)

If your answer in Step 3 is greater than or equal to 1 inch, your trailer has enough tongue weight. If your answer is less than 1 inch, it is recommended that you reload your trailer, and put more weight in the front of the trailer. An answer less than 1-inch can cause sway or WHIPPING.

Above aside, IMHO I think this is a large load for a small vehicle and I'd be in the right lane under the speed limit to be safe.

I didn't read the whole thread so not sure if anyone mentioned that!

One thing about UHaul's motorcycle trailers. Their speed limit is 88km/h and it is written VERY big on the fenders. So technically police can stop you if be seen on highways going 100 km/h (other than the danger to you and cars around you).

Sometimes it's cheaper and easier to just rent a small van.
This. Obviously won't work for bigger heavier bikes but things like a DRZ or most sportbikes a full sized van is the way to go 100%.
Buyer of my last GSXR1000 arrived with a rented van. I helped him load and secure it and good to go.

Measure your hitch's distance to the ground and then get a 200lb friend to sit on the edge of the truck to simulate maximum tongue weight and then remeasure.

^---- This. The Curt video posted above is static measurement. Ballpark at best, but still not right.

That height will be good enough for the type of trailer you need to tow and the weight of the bike.

The wiring hardness should be more plug and play type of thing.

Probably little more pricey than a splice in type but much easier and faster to do.

Yes, either a floor jack or axle stands work very well. You will know for next time.

Double check the plug and play bit on the wiring. I'm not sure if this is a wild goose chase or not but I recall something about Fords doing expensive things to electronics if you hack into a wiring harness for trailer lights as was done in the good old days. Maybe an auto wizz can confirm or deny.

Also there was a suggestion about sticking an old plate on the bike to avoid hassle. If you get caught it won't go well if the plate doesn't match the ownership. Police think riding dirty, getaway vehicle, stolen vehicle etc.

I think that wheel chock would hold it pretty well

You can always strap to the bench mounting points in the floor of the van.

Here's my 998 in my Odyssey. It would fit with the bodywork on as well.

View attachment 41952

View attachment 41953

When the funky looking but very practical Honda Element was around, this was a very popular thing to do with race guys going to the track.

It was spacious and would fit a race bike perfectly.

I do wish they still produced them.

1582984545714.png 1582984584380.png

Seeing all these pics, I'd love to have a cube van converted to a camper that can also carry a bike inside.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Even those really tiny ones with the extra headroom are nice, friend has one that hauls and stores his 2 trials bikes, you don't need windows.

Back
Top Bottom