Track bike build | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track bike build

Fair enough, I suppose my risk aversion is higher! I've seen some pretty catastrophic damage from seemingly minor low sides, and other bikes look near immaculate. Luck of the draw, sometimes. My paddock neighbour had his heavily done-up R1 get shoveled out of the crash wagon in September at Shannonville after washing out the front on cold tires over the bump leading into turn 13. No highsides or walls involved, it just barrel rolled when it dug into the grass. Only the swingarm, frame and maybe the top end of the motor survived. I'm happy to deal with that on a $3,000 bike, less so on a $17,000 one...

As for the Tuono, the plan is to put on a set of the modified SW Motech Blaze luggage (or Hepco and Becker if I want hard luggage) and use it to do weekends and shorter tours to better riding roads. Ottawa Valley and eastern Ontario for now, then down through Ohio, Pennsylvania and as far south as the Carolinas when Covid loosens its grip on our lives. Puttering will still happen, as will the occasional track day when I want the high-tech experience, but it'll be kept to a minimum...

I went the other way...
I’ll be tracking my Tuono this year and bought a Kawasaki Versys 1000 for longer rides and touring. The Tuono will still be street-ridden this year but if something happens then it will become my dedicated track bike. Hopefully that doesn’t happen though....

I went the other way...
I’ll be tracking my Tuono this year and bought a Kawasaki Versys 1000 for longer rides and touring. The Tuono will still be street-ridden this year but if something happens then it will become my dedicated track bike. Hopefully that doesn’t happen though....
Just saw a 2012 Versys for sale locally for $5500 with reasonably low miles. Very tempting. Also saw a recent magazine comparison with the new S model against the XR that gave the Kawi the nod as the better bike. It's incredible value. I think you'll be quite happy.

As for tracking the Tuono, will you leave it as-is or put on clip-ons and a track fairing? (Basically making it a torquey RSV4...)

Just saw a 2012 Versys for sale locally for $5500 with reasonably low miles. Very tempting. Also saw a recent magazine comparison with the new S model against the XR that gave the Kawi the nod as the better bike. It's incredible value. I think you'll be quite happy.

As for tracking the Tuono, will you leave it as-is or put on clip-ons and a track fairing? (Basically making it a torquey RSV4...)

I haven’t ridden the Versys yet but it sounds pretty decent with the slipon and I really like what I’ve read. I have high hopes!
The Tuono will stay in street form and I’ll just tape off the lights. It’s got bar risers on it that will stay on as well. I’ve got nerve damage in my neck and a buggered shoulder so I can’t ride in the tucked sport position anymore. I swapped rides with @BigEvilDoer for a few minutes this past season and I was in pain for a few days afterwards....
The Tuono has the race tune, Hindle pipe and Aprilia’s lightweight forged wheels off an RSV4 so it should be pretty good as a track weapon!
This is kind of like my test season for track riding to see if my neck and shoulder can handle it again. If all goes well then I’ll either turn the Tuono into my dedicated track bike or get another bike with similar ergonomics as a track only bike.

vrooom vroom

ttt any new pics for us?
Progress has been tortuously slow, partly because work demands have kicked into high gear, and partly because summer means more household and family duties on weekends.

I've also been stuck by a few things needed to complete the engine that are taking ages to arrive, including some Samco 90 degree elbows to get the thermostat delete installed that are taking absolutely ages to arrive. Once that's done, I can reinstall the throttle bodies and airbox and button up the motor. I need to get that done so I can finish the coolant hoses and install the side mounted rads to make sure the race fairing lines up over them before I drill the holes, which I then need to do before I can finish the front brake reservoir install to make sure it clears the fairing and fairing stay.

Since the last update I've done the following:

- valve clearances
- replaced a Power Commander III with a PCV
- installed CBR600RR coil-on-plugs, replacing the known weak stock coils (no pics)
- completed the clutch master and slave update including bleeding (waiting for a normal lever, as it came with a cheapo ripoff of a Pazzo shorty (I hate shorty levers)
- installed a 520 chain conversion with shorter gearing (-1/+1)
- replaced the dollar store battery that came with it (and would die after one crank) with a proper Yuasa AGM battery
- drilled, tapped and installed a sharkfin under the swingarm
- drilled, tapped and installed the triple-clamp mount for the Scotts damper (old style)
- finished the rear brake install with a PSR mini reservoir (getting the TSR rearset to work up with the master took a lot more work than expected, as it required disassembly and replacing the threaded portion of the piston with an M6x30 bolt, and the instructions were all in Japanese. The Google Translate app is incredible.)
- Installed TSS slipper clutch (I got a good deal, but it still officially took the bike from budget track hack to needlessly expensive track hack.
- installed Factory Pro shift star and spring (of course, I forgot to take a pic)

Here's a few more pics, please excuse the shocking mess in the garage. Winter to summer transition meant total chaos for a while...

20210215_165647.jpg
Scratching my head puzzling out shim thicknesses.

20210411_173506.jpg
Complete Oberon slave, cut cover and 520 conversion, race-shift shaft orientation.

20210411_173521.jpg
Complete rearset, master and PSR mini-reservoir install

20210411_173529.jpg
Full rear brake assembly with stupid, needless, Race Torx titanium axle nut.

20210417_224245.jpg
TSR slipper clutch. So pretty, such a shame it gets covered up...

Next steps are:
- finish the thermostat delete
- reassemble the cooling system with the Samco hoses
- complete the fairing install (It has not fitted well so far - Flexi-Glass has a great rep in BC, so this isn't indicative of their stuff, but these have needed major mods to fit, with the seat cowl being particularly poor and needing major sanding right through the CF reinforcement just to barely fit over the subframe)
- locate, bend and install the front reservoir bracket for 19x18 Brembo master
- install race undertail
- replace fuel filter and reinstall pump in tank with new gasket (old one was brittle and leaking)
- finish motor, including airbox and fuel tank reinstall
- start the bloody thing
- find a big parking lot to do some 2nd gear laps, start bedding in the brakes, and check the slipper clutch is adjusted properly

There's some time pressure to complete, as I have an appointment with Accelerated Technologies to do a base suspension setup on June 23rd. I may have to save the thermostat delete for another time if those hoses don't arrive...

Last edited:
It looks like a motorbike!

20210711_231838.jpg

Lots of progress over the last few weekends, getting close to being 'done', though the suspension setup had to be delayed...

Since last time, the biggest step has been getting the motor back together, topping up fluids, and firing it up. This wasn't without drama, as the first try revealed a herky jerky turnover that I initially thought might be a dying battery or loose starter motor cable. Those checked out okay, as did the replacement coils (on plug - so much simpler and lighter) with good spark. Further testing revealed it turned over just fine with the kill switch engaged, and a compression test should have topped out around 175 psi, which it did on the front. On the rear, though, I got this:

20210708_211728.jpg

205 psi suggested something funky with the valves, so after singing "What an Idiot He Is" to myself, I popped the valve cover to discover both cams off by one tooth in the gears (gear driven cam). My only defense is that the cam gears are split and sprung, and so what looked right when just laid in place was actually off when torqued down. I wouldn't have even noticed until I rotated the crank 360 degrees so the cam index marks were pointing at each other instead of away, and it was instantly obvious I f**ked up. All I can say is I'm super grateful that valves and piston never tried to occupy the same space (I did rotate it by hand first to be sure)...

Once done, that legendary Honda reliability came into play, and she fired up instantly and beautifully. The compression on the rear cylinder is now bang on after being a bit low, so the valve work was worth the hassle.

Here's a few more pics:

20210605_142910.jpg
Sharkfin drilled and tapped into swingarm

20210626_213217.jpg
Samco rad hose kit and Durbahn frame slider. Durbahn is long gone, so these sliders are unobtanium. Paid a fortune for them, but took a mountain of dimensions so I can have them made if broken in a crash. The reason they're so special is other sliders mount under the rad at a forward motor mount, which is too low and often rolls the bike onto the tank in a crash.

20210703_223642.jpg
Best way to get the holes lined up is using a laser to set the location of the slider, remove the slider, install the fairing, mark where the laser is set, break out the hole saw. Worked like a champ, and way easier that the Playdough method...

20210703_180334.jpg
Airbox back in place. One piece of bad design is the airbox is held down by the screws on either side of the velocity stacks. The front screw on the front stack can only be turned by an extra long screwdriver through that hole just above the centre cover hole at the front. What happens is folks strip this screw because their driver isn't long enough (and they're made of cheese). Mine came stripped, and it took some creative tool destroying to get it loose. After a variety of frustratingly ineffective attempts, I ended up grinding down the tip of my long Phillips so the edges could bite into the unstripped outside portion. Needless to say, I bought multiple replacement screws so it won't happen again...

20210711_224708.jpg
Brembo master and reservoir bracket on Apex GP clip-ons. Would have loved to push everything out wider, but the throttle cables only let me go so far. Vortex lever guard will soak up some of that blank space by clamping onto the bar instead of going in the bar end.

20210711_224744.jpg
Replaced the stock coolant overflow tank to give the motor more room to throw off heat. The air intake snorkel has a perfect bracket moulded into the side, so some plate aluminum and a few rivets later, we have a bracket.

20210711_224815.jpg
Scotts damper installed. Scotts is sold out of the brackets that clamp onto the stem nut, and nobody could guarantee a time that they'd make more. So after waiting six months with no answer, I reluctantly used the bracket that came with the damper, as it required drilling and tapping the top triple clamp. Part of my aim with this bike is to make it as easy as possible to revert to street form while also stripping as many of the pricey aftermarket bits as possible for resale if need be. Drilling into obvious and visible spots doesn't help that plan...

20210711_231054.jpg
Another shot of the near-finished bike. I know I'm showing my age, but I love how these bikes look.

What's left:

- Take bike up to Hindle in Port Perry for new slip-ons and some dyno tuning. Much as I love the period correct Jardines, the carbon is getting brittle, they're banged up, and the link pipes have a few dents. Hindle offers very crashable slip-ons for a budget price, so it's an easy call.
- Set up basic suspension, sag and damping
- Finish HealTech gear indicator install
- Re-cover tired seat with new Luimoto cover
- Install RaceTorx clutch cover with replaceable crash bracket
- Figure out undertail. I bought a race one, but it doesn't have a spot for the tip-over sensor and a number of other bits tucked in the tail. Will get to this eventually, as there's currently a big gap where the stock undertail was hacked off for a Hot Bodies unit, but only after everything else is working

Hopefully the next post is after a successful track day. Thanks for the indulgence if you got this far...

One more update before the inevitable bad-line, miles-from-the-apex, both-cheeks-off-the-seat, A-frame track photos...

Took the bike out to Port Perry for new slip-ons and a dyno tune with Hindle. Ended up spending the better part of the day there, as my PCV wasn't cooperating with their Dynojet software, but they got it done in the end. Power ended up at a reasonable 118 whp, which I'm satisfied with considering their dyno is pessimistic and the bike has over 40,000 kms on the motor. It's a pretty average number for an RC51 with a slip-on, and it's the 80 lb.ft of torque in the midrange that I really want anyway...

Got to have a good chat with Lang himself, as well as Lee and Scott. Definitely a great bunch of guys, and such an integral part of the Canadian racing world.

I think the pipes look great, even if the look isn't quite period correct. I also popped on a heavy-duty Racetorx clutch cover, just for that little bit of added crashability. Here's a few more pics:

20210803_183012.jpg

20210803_183107.jpg

20210731_212420.jpg

Should bring that out to race at SOAR, lots of these RC51's racing now.
It's looking likely for next year. Going to spend the rest of this summer doing track days and working out the bugs, and we'll take it from there. It's inevitable that I'll get bored of just riding around and will want to go racing. Looks like I'd qualify for heavyweight twins, Lost Era, Old Folks Club, and Vintage classes.

With the age of them (mine's past 20 years old now), I figure it's not too long before the VRRA has a class, too...

It's looking likely for next year. Going to spend the rest of this summer doing track days and working out the bugs, and we'll take it from there. It's inevitable that I'll get bored of just riding around and will want to go racing. Looks like I'd qualify for heavyweight twins, Lost Era, Old Folks Club, and Vintage classes.

With the age of them (mine's past 20 years old now), I figure it's not too long before the VRRA has a class, too...
Lots of classes for it to race in, maybe see you out there next year.

Nice build. When is your first or next track day to test it out?
Monday with KSR if there's room and I can get away from work, or the Wednesday evening lapping if not...

Excluding TMP, GB is closest to me and the best spot to do a shakedown. I'm comfortable with the layout, too, so I can focus on the bike more and where I'm going less...

Back
Top Bottom