Touring Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring Tires

Merkid

Has anyone had any negative experiences in mounting touring type tires on their sport bikes?

My Bandit (sport tourer) is going thru it's latest set in less than 8K km and I don't ride aggressively.

If you ride within the limits of the tires ( no track days, etc.) I doubt you'd notice any difference. If anything, they may be better in the wet. The number of machines I see with chicken strips a mile wide suggests to me that most folks cannot use the potential of a sport tire on the street.

It depends on the definition of sport. Multi compound sport touring tires will have less grip when upright, but comparable grip when fully leant over when compared to a sport tire. There are multiple classes of sport tires as well. I would never choose an ST tire for maximum lean angle maximum attack on the track, the same way I would not use a bone cold racing slick in the rain.

Sport Touring tires will handle everything on the street and then some. I've taken a set of fresh set of Road 5's for two week at the gap and had no tire events, though I wrecked the tire profile and had to change them out. They won't handle what you need a real sport tire for though. If your sport tires look like a flat U with the centre bald and the sides not even at the wear bars, you need sport touring tires.

Has anyone had any negative experiences in mounting touring type tires on their sport bikes?

My Bandit (sport tourer) is going thru it's latest set in less than 8K km and I don't ride aggressively.
You'll have to be more specific

Are you not happy with the grip?
Or not happy with the mileage?
Which tire are you using?

If I recall correctly, Nick Ienatsch's track school now uses Michelin Road tires for their bikes. Apparently they offer almost all the grip of a dedicated track tire, minus warm-up issues, and without the need for a fast rider to generate enough heat. I seem to remember him saying that they had a lot fewer crashes *and* lower lap times when they moved away from the top-tier tires. Plus, they last longer.

The Road's are still pretty sporty, but the lesson to me is that very few people actually hit the limits of most tires, and most of us shop for tires based on fantasies about how fast we might be as well as marketing rather than actual need.

I had Road 5's on the Wee, nice tire but they didn't last long at all.

8K doesn't seem great, and Bandits are still in normal motorcycle weight class. What tires?

Touring tires are fine maybe better. I have done trackdays on metzeler roadtecs. On the street no issues at all.

You'll have to be more specific

Are you not happy with the grip?
Or not happy with the mileage?
Which tire are you using?
Only concern is the rate of wear. I guess I was used to my Goldwing's tire duration of about 20+K km.

Present tires that came with then bike are Shenko Sport Radials, just over a year old, now past the wear bars (7700km) and a bit slick on wet roads.

Grip has been fine until lately as I only tour with the bike, no track activity or burnouts.

Only concern is the rate of wear. I guess I was used to my Goldwing's tire duration of about 20+K km.

Present tires that came with then bike are Shenko Sport Radials, just over a year old, now past the wear bars (7700km) and a bit slick on wet roads.

Grip has been fine until lately as I only tour with the bike, no track activity or burnouts.
I feel like shinko makes better offroad tires than on road

There's nothing WRONG with Shinkos, but I think their "sport" tires use the same carcass as their 008, which is a drag slick, which is pretty soft... and wear pretty fast.
Sooooo after you factor in the mileage, they're not really cheaper.

There's nothing WRONG with Shinkos, but I think their "sport" tires use the same carcass as their 008, which is a drag slick, which is pretty soft... and wear pretty fast.
Sooooo after you factor in the mileage, they're not really cheaper.
They last as long as anyone else's.

Not for me they don't. The last ones I had lasted two track days and about 1000km and they were shagged. RIGHT shagged. They still had lots of tread, but they would do the WUGGAWUGGA at speed. Fine for a street bike, a little disconcerting at the top of the straight at Mosport.
The Michelin Pilots I have on the same bike now have 4 track days and about 3500km... the rear is worn flat down the middle... but they're still OK.
i figure if i can get 4500-5000km out of a set of sport tires I am doing well.
(I am ONLY talking about the "sport" Shinkos, I've used the 008, 006 and 010) (... and I also found you have to take a TON of spring out to get them to work, but once I figured out the setup, they worked great).

I feel like shinko makes better offroad tires than on road
I bought my first set of Shinkos this year, 705s for the Wee. They are noisy, got 5k on them and they still look new.

I'm impressed.

Got new Shinko touring tires recently installed on the Bandit.

I was told to expect up to 12K km with them but who knows. That would work out to two summers worth of riding as I have a 2nd bike to alternate altho I had a recent foot injury and as luck would have it, it was my shifting foot so that should slow me down for awhile..... damn.

Got new Shinko touring tires recently installed on the Bandit.

I was told to expect up to 12K km with them but who knows. That would work out to two summers worth of riding as I have a 2nd bike to alternate altho I had a recent foot injury and as luck would have it, it was my shifting foot so that should slow me down for awhile..... damn.
What pressures are you using?
I've got over 11,000kms on a set of 009's atm. (42F 40R psi).
I never got more than 12K kms from a set. Used on 2 bandits, a gsxr, and 2 hayabusas.
The current set will be replaced in a few days with Bstones. The front still looks new, but it's starting to cup, and the rear is squared off, and nearly to the wear bars.
Rain tested ok. Grip tested ok, 1/16th inch "responsibility strips".
But, these tires are noisy, and they send ALL feeling to the bars.....I can feel a dime, if I ride over one. I don't recall that on any of my suzi's.
The oem stones didn't do all that, and still had life at 17K kms when I ditched them.

What pressures are you using?
I've got over 11,000kms on a set of 009's atm. (42F 40R psi).
I never got more than 12K kms from a set. Used on 2 bandits, a gsxr, and 2 hayabusas.
The current set will be replaced in a few days with Bstones. The front still looks new, but it's starting to cup, and the rear is squared off, and nearly to the wear bars.
Rain tested ok. Grip tested ok, 1/16th inch "responsibility strips".
But, these tires are noisy, and they send ALL feeling to the bars.....I can feel a dime, if I ride over one. I don't recall that on any of my suzi's.
The oem stones didn't do all that, and still had life at 17K kms when I ditched them.
The new ones are also 009's. I am maintaining the same air pressures.

Interesting on the noise and road feel comments. I'll report back on that.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom