Touring Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring Tires

Merkid

Is there any downside to installing a set of touring tires on a sport-touring bike?

Reason to ask is my Bandit is eating up the tires I had installed 7Km ago and I don't run the bike hard .

Probably depends on how hard you push the bike and I would think that warm up times will also increase a bit.

More than likely you will be fine with modern touring tires, unless you are talking about something like ME880's which I found pretty hard all the way around, but I was using them on a cruiser.

Which touring tires were you thinking of?

Which touring tires were you thinking of?
Haven't decided on any touring brands yet so would appreciate any some recommendations.

Your point about tire hardness is good. For work purposes I do ride quite early in the spring and well into October and in the past needed to warm up the tires that are presently mounted to avoid slippage on cold mornings so too hard a compound might not work for me

Haven't decided on any touring brands yet so would appreciate any some recommendations.

Your point about tire hardness is good. For work purposes I do ride quite early in the spring and well into October and in the past needed to warm up the tires that are presently mounted to avoid slippage on cold mornings so too hard a compound might not work for me
Switch to the GT version of a good tire, they have a harder center - my Road Pilot 4 GTs lasted 15,000 on my FJR (compared to 8000 for regular RP4s). Ive also used Avon GTs, they had 12'000 km on my Busa and passed safety when I sold it. A riding buddy on an ST1300 gets long life out of Dunlop Roadsmarts, he rides them to the belts and gets 18000km.

They cost about $100 more a pair, but considering you can expect 50 to 100% more miles they are a steal.

Is there any downside to installing a set of touring tires on a sport-touring bike?

Reason to ask is my Bandit is eating up the tires I had installed 7Km ago and I don't run the bike hard .

Pilot Road 5 tires will handle anything you throw at them. I had them on my Tuono and Versys 1000, even used the Versys on the track at Calabogie as my rain bike and they performed flawlessly.

8896e2e4a3ec085c6cc36acff4d881ff.jpg

Pilot road 4’s on my current ride. Hate them. The front is cupping noticeably. The 4’s are older now so maybe this has gotten better with the 5/6?

But also, I think the tread design is just plain ugly. Yes I’m that superficial.

Pilot 5s are proven, are there any Pilot 6s out there yet ?
Yup - I just rode with a set on trip down south. They are outstanding for grip - and I rode in very heavy rain for one day and twisty wet roads on other days - never had any unwanted slippage. Warm up time feels like it almost immediate, especially when it's above 15 degrees out and dry..

I run metzeler z8 roadtecs, on a gsxr. Never been a michelin fan.

Back
Top Bottom