Toronto to Halifax on a Ninja 250! (?) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to Halifax on a Ninja 250! (?)

Esquire

Hi, I'm planning for my first serious trip at the end of June. The plan is to get to Halifax in two days after a nights stopover in Montreal. The problem is my bike has a small engine and don't know if it will go the distance. I haven't had any overheating problems so far. It revs at about 7k going 100km/h. I think I'll keep a steady 115 the whole way down.

So far I'm packing a lighter helmet, some extra padding, a tail bag, headset (scala rider q2 for my buddy and I), and a lot of caffeine pills hah. Is there anything else I should pack to make this endurable? I just got a tune up, double bubble windshield, and cruising tires.

Cheers and thanks,
ACF

The caffeine pills are a bad idea. How many hours a day were you planning on riding? The bike should make it, provided it's in good shape. If anything is marginal (tires, chain, brakes) they may fail on the trip, so it would be good insurance to replace those things now.

From Trenton to Cornwall there is construction and you will run into delays .

Just a heads up have a safe trip

Make sure to take chain lube.

Consider riding to Hfx through the states. The route is more interesting and it would be more enjoyable on your 250 then fighting freeway boredom on the Canadian route. just a thought.

Make sure to take chain lube.

Consider riding to Hfx through the states. The route is more interesting and it would be more enjoyable on your 250 then fighting freeway boredom on the Canadian route. just a thought.

+1 on the lube :agave: lol

Would have to agree with you, the trip though the US would be better.

If your going to do a bike trip to Nova Scotia, make the extra effort and do the Cabot Trail.

Try to avoid Montreal and Quebec City in the rush hour if you can. Make sure to have rain gear and make your *** comfortable :)

I do that trip every year, Everybody bitches about Montreal, and how bad it is, Pffff, It's no big deal, Know were you are going and drive though it, it's that simple. Speeds will be in the 120 range, its posted 110 in N.B. You will Not likely make it in two days if you stop over in Montreal, Edmonton N.B is were you want to be for a two day run. I would plan on a 2 1/2 day run on your bike, it will make it much more enjoyable. If you run the U.S route make sure you buy insurance and watch out for moose.

I wouldn't recommend riding to Halifax in a 250; you need to rev it quite high to get to normal hwy speeds; and it is not the most comfortable highway bike; especially for distance.

I would do it, it can be done, but obviously a bigger bike would be better. Depending on what your comfortable with, for me thats an easy 2 day ride, but my GS is larger and a way more comfortable touring bike for trips like this.

If you always wait for the perfect bike, or the perfect this and that, you will never get anywhere. Its an adventure, enjoy it with what you have!

Last edited:
I have to agree with doing this trip via the US route. It is far more interesting and more enjoyable than being on the Trans Canada getting a new a-hole beat into you. It is also less expensive - fuel costs alone!

The option of running a two lane highway with some corners beats the crap out of super slab any day.

go for it as long as your bike is in good shape it will be no problem. Good luck with the trip.

You shouldn't have an issue doing it on a 250, I've been to Quebec on a 125 carrying camping gear. If you're concerned about revving your engine (they are designed to be high revving) think about taking highway 2 to Quebec (although I would 401 it to at least Oshawa, it's not the easiest road to follow before that) it's very scenic, runs mainly along the lake + you get a free ferry trip in.

Road trips on small bikes are fun, you just have to accept that they have a few limitations and either live with it or wait until you have a bigger bike. On that note there is a guy who has just ridden from Key West FL to Deadhorse AL on a 125, and is riding back, so it's definitely doable.

Broskeeee been to Montreal twice on my KLR 250. just under 7K doing 110. Just take some frequent breaks and stuff. Getting off the bike for like 5 minutes every 50 K really helps. Stretch out and stuff. You'll make it, have fun!

What's the longest span of time you've spent highway riding on your 250 so far? It gets uncomfortable quickly... Personally after 3 hours on my zzr, it's time to take a break.

Broskeeee been to Montreal twice on my KLR 250. just under 7K doing 110. Just take some frequent breaks and stuff. Getting off the bike for like 5 minutes every 50 K really helps. Stretch out and stuff. You'll make it, have fun!

5 min every 50k? You'll be doing more stopping then anything.

Back
Top Bottom