Too many Cops chasing to little crime | GTAMotorcycle.com

Too many Cops chasing to little crime

Icbones

Site Supporter
I read an interesting article in Maclean magazine regarding the law of diminishing returns on increasing police budgets and how the current trend in increasing court and law enforcement budgets is unsustainable.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/08/25/too-many-cops/#more-210105

It basically says what many members on this forum have said for years. The police issue tickets to create revenue to justify their ever increasing budgets.

Last edited:
"write" tickets. Link doesn't work. But yes. Spot on.

Sorry, corrected.

What people dont seem to realize is, Policing is a trade the same as say a car mechanic. You start as an apprentice and you can read every car manual and have the knowledge but it still takes a number of years of hands on expirence and working on cars to actually be considered a qualified/licensed mechanic.

The reason every service went on a massive hiring blitz is because a very large number of officers are getting close to retirement. You cant replace an officer with 30 years of expirence with someone fresh out of the college. So right now the forces might be swollen but those numbers will diminish again gradually.

As for the article and "tickets" ,seriously, on your next ride or drive. Look around and see how many people you think deserve a ticket, if you can't spot one then I wanna live where you live.

More police on the road = more eyes on the road to see crappy drivers.

man I'm glad the eyes weren't looking at me this morning!

What people dont seem to realize is, Policing is a trade the same as say a car mechanic. You start as an apprentice and you can read every car manual and have the knowledge but it still takes a number of years of hands on expirence and working on cars to actually be considered a qualified/licensed mechanic.

The reason every service went on a massive hiring blitz is because a very large number of officers are getting close to retirement. You cant replace an officer with 30 years of expirence with someone fresh out of the college. So right now the forces might be swollen but those numbers will diminish again gradually.

As for the article and "tickets" ,seriously, on your next ride or drive. Look around and see how many people you think deserve a ticket, if you can't spot one then I wanna live where you live.

In my area... it just means more police cars hidden behind plazas and/or in the parks.... where they are gathered every morning.

In my area... it just means more police cars hidden behind plazas and/or in the parks.... where they are gathered every morning.

Yep. Watching DVDs on their media players.

Might be a salary issue......even in New York their salaries have been rising much faster than the private sector which of course can't go on forever. I think the cops here still make alot more than in the USA.

New York Police:
After years of bitter wrangling that saw starting pay for new officers fall to as low as $25,100 a year, the city and the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association on August 21, 2008 reached agreement on a new four-year contract.[7]

The contract that runs fro August 1, 2006 to July 31, 2010, gives police officers a 17 percent pay raise over its four-year life, and raises starting pay from $35,881 to $41,975, and top pay from $65,382 to approximately $76,000 annually

Detroit seems to have reduced it's police force drastically:
As of 2011, the department has 33% fewer sworn officers than in 2001, falling from a force of 4,093 to 2,770.[12]

Last edited:
No making fun of Detroit. They are living in Mad Max times.

But seriously...declines in Policing in Detroit are being influenced mostly by the fact that the town is bankrupt(or close to) and the population is the lowest level it's been in over 100 years.

COPS are working for the banks now.
We have been conditioned to be scared of the common crook, while in fact the bankers are stealing indirectly from us through inflation and taxation. People need to wake up to this.

And why do they need to have a cop at every construction site all day everyday???
Its not like all the sites need traffic to be redirected??

And why do they need to have a cop at every construction site all day everyday???

That's part 2 of the scam, > Overtime!! :p

I've always questioned this. A fully armed officer standing around a construction site. I guess they expect a lot of high risk takedowns while watching traffic go by. How much are they paid to stand around?

I've always questioned this. A fully armed officer standing around a construction site. I guess they expect a lot of high risk takedowns while watching traffic go by. How much are they paid to stand around?

The City insists.. The police don't care..other than they're making gravy..

That's pay duty. Company doing the construction will pay for that.

That'd be all well and good if the police actually targetted crappy drivers. Instead all I see is unmarked cruisers hidden behind bushes catching people doing a harmless 65 in a 50 zone that should be a 60 anyway...

I used to have to contract them and like 5 years ago they charged 50 bucks an hr and most times you had to get two of them, that was paid to the cops cash, then you got the bill from the police department charging you a few hundred more for admin fees.

and yes they are pay duty not paid by tax payers, good for them for making some extra money on their time off but been paid overtime for going to court I don't agree with.

Last edited:

Ya they get paid too much for doing sweet dick all usually, but occasionally they come in handy.

Construction workers yelling and arguing with the public usually will just escalate into something ugly.

Also, after pointing out a crack head to one cop, he kept her away from "us" and endagering herself. Also told us she had hepititis and to stay away from her frothy ***! haha

So they do come in handy sometimes, mostly just for their visual presense.

I used to have to contract them and like 5 years ago they charged 50 bucks an hr and most times you had to get two of them, that was paid to the cops cash, then you got the bill from the police department charging you a few hundred more for admin fees.

and yes they are pay duty not paid by tax payers, good for them for making some extra money on their time off but been paid overtime for going to court I don't agree with.

since their standard rate is $40 something an hour their OT rate is over $60 an hour. Since they are working on construction sites for the city (TTC etc) the tax payer pays the bill.

A lot of people whining about them being paid too much to do nothing, why doesn't everyone just sign up ?.

Back
Top Bottom