Tobogganing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tobogganing

Do the signs actually say 'No Tobogganing'?

Since a sled is NOT a toboggan its ok to sled down the hill?

Do they still sell saucers??
Signs at east Lynn that people already took down

toboganning-signs-banned-pulled-out-1024x576.png

NoTobogganingSign-e1705358105323.jpg

Not sure if they are inconsistent with sign design or if this was older.
20220202-christie-pits-1.jpg

I was just curious since in a lot of the US a toboggan is a knitted hat. Is 'toboggan' a word that immigrants would instantly recognize?

Broke my scapula into 3 pieces when i was about 20 on a closed ski hill in the Don Valley.
Lesson learned? ER nurses don't like intoxicated people with broken bones.
One of my favorite spots as a teenager! I had a high school job at Don Valley Oxygen at the top of that hill. We would fire up the rope tow after dark then ride down the hill on a truck tubes.

One of my favorite spots as a teenager! I had a high school job at Don Valley Oxygen at the top of that hill. We would fire up the rope tow after dark then ride down the hill on a truck tubes.
Went down the hill on a mini tobaggan with a very cute girl that was as drunk as i was. Hit a big bump, she landed on top of me. Crunch! Never saw her again. Lol.

Fairmount Park which is relatively near East Lynn, is filled with more obstacles than East Lynn, not to mention a three foot drop, yet is sanctioned.
Wife ran into one of the snow fences tobogganing when we were dating, and I don't think she's been since.
If you really get going and make it through the playground alive, you can slide all the way onto the skating rink, and hopefully stop before you hit the boards.
This is Walter Baker Park, one of the hills in Ottawa near us.
They have a separated area for you to climb the hill so that you don't get taken back down:
p48098.jpg

Last edited:
While the signs are short on details, they reference the municipal code which provides a more thorough description. Seems like similar problems to motorcycle mufflers where some bureaucrat with no experience in the real world banned hollywood mufflers. It seems like magive carpets, magic saucers, fast food trays, inner tubes, etc all escape the grasp of the by-law.

§ 608-22. Skiing, tobogganing and sledding. While in a park, no person shall:
A. Ski, toboggan, snowboard, skibob or sled in an area in a park where it is posted to prohibit it;
orB. Fasten or attach a ski, toboggan, snowboard, skibob or sled to any vehicle, motorized vehicle or motorized recreational vehicle for the purpose of being towed, dragged or otherwise pulled.

In other interesting news, Citynews interviewed city staff and not a single person ever has been given a tobogganing ticket. So you have a toboggan hill inspection program with tons of staff time allocated, you have signs made up for 45 hills with tons of money required to do that and you never ever enforce the by-law? That seems like an easy win in court where they can show that the city was pretending and the by-law has no force. How many people go tobogganing on closed hills in the city every year? Probably tens of thousands. And zero tickets. That would be a very hard win for the city and they would be covered in mud and eggs. It's hard to tell quickly, but it looks like that wording has existed for 20 years with tens of thousands of violations a year with zero tickets. Sounds like a by-law that should be repealed as inactive rather than wasting money on signs.

It's a way to get off the hook. "We told you, so we aren't liable if you hurt yourself."
Sort of. There is legal precedent for non-enforcement invalidating your argument (similar to squatters rights). If you keep saying something but never do anything to enforce it, your words mean nothing. If they want the by-law to be useful, they need to hand out a decent number of tickets each year to prop it up. There are probably enough drunk people that you could meet the quota without the media firestorm of ticketing a family with their kids.

The best hills by us had the signs for years. The hills are busy when there is snow and we took our kids there, they did not die. In the end I am not going to drive all over hell's half acre looking for a hill for the kids to sled for half an hour when they can go down a hill that is safe nearby.... Technically there are only two hills on the not-prohibited list for all of Etobicoke (well one of the two is technically just across the Humber, so only one).

The best hills by us had the signs for years. The hills are busy when there is snow and we took our kids there, they did not die. In the end I am not going to drive all over hell's half acre looking for a hill for the kids to sled for half an hour when they can go down a hill that is safe nearby.... Technically there are only two hills on the not-prohibited list for all of Etobicoke (well one of the two is technically just across the Humber, so only one).
As some east lynn residents said, they could walk to riverdale but that is most of an hour each way (and given the size of that hill, I have serious doubts it is any safer). Parking near the riverdale hill is quite unlikely so driving doesn't work well. TTC with toboggans would suck for many reasons. People will toboggan on their closest hill. City either needs to live with that or eliminate the hills (spend tens of millions on retaining walls and fences).

Last edited:
if thing to teach any kid toboganning is the roll off bail out, you can see it coming , your know your going to hit it , roll the F off . You'll get some snow scrapes and snow up the back of your jacket , but not a concussion or spinal injury. Dum parents .
Teaching is banned. It interferes with freedoms and the right to be a self entitled twit.

While the signs are short on details, they reference the municipal code which provides a more thorough description. Seems like similar problems to motorcycle mufflers where some bureaucrat with no experience in the real world banned hollywood mufflers. It seems like magive carpets, magic saucers, fast food trays, inner tubes, etc all escape the grasp of the by-law.

§ 608-22. Skiing, tobogganing and sledding. While in a park, no person shall:
A. Ski, toboggan, snowboard, skibob or sled in an area in a park where it is posted to prohibit it;
orB. Fasten or attach a ski, toboggan, snowboard, skibob or sled to any vehicle, motorized vehicle or motorized recreational vehicle for the purpose of being towed, dragged or otherwise pulled.

In other interesting news, Citynews interviewed city staff and not a single person ever has been given a tobogganing ticket. So you have a toboggan hill inspection program with tons of staff time allocated, you have signs made up for 45 hills with tons of money required to do that and you never ever enforce the by-law? That seems like an easy win in court where they can show that the city was pretending and the by-law has no force. How many people go tobogganing on closed hills in the city every year? Probably tens of thousands. And zero tickets. That would be a very hard win for the city and they would be covered in mud and eggs. It's hard to tell quickly, but it looks like that wording has existed for 20 years with tens of thousands of violations a year with zero tickets. Sounds like a by-law that should be repealed as inactive rather than wasting money on signs.
Nothing to stop an E-bike and the lack of enforcement is set.

Signs at east Lynn that people already took down

toboganning-signs-banned-pulled-out-1024x576.png

NoTobogganingSign-e1705358105323.jpg

Not sure if they are inconsistent with sign design or if this was older.
20220202-christie-pits-1.jpg
What's the problem with that last site? Looks perfectly clear to me unless the City's expecting people to slide all the way to the skate park...

Back
Top Bottom