To Censor or not to Censor? | GTAMotorcycle.com

To Censor or not to Censor?

Mad Mike

Over the last couple of years a lot of active forums get buried in the "Trash Talk" section of the site.

Often the stated reason is this is a motorcycle forum, which I'd say OK to except it's not a discussion forum about motorcycles, it's a forum frequented by a community of motorcyclists who largely discuss non-motorcycle things. Look at the main page, most of the time 70% of the discussion are non-motorcycle, and if you look at the post count it probably goes toward 90%.

1701805142908.png

If you look at the threads in Trash Talk, they are mostly moved when the banter shifts to politics -- and almost always when it's poking fun at one particular party.

I get moving forums that become pointless because of conspiracies, vulgarism, hate, trolls, and meaningless political mudwallowing. Not so much when the discussion carries vibrant yet dissenting views or opinions.

Rant over.

I think the forum is well moderated. Things have a way of going off topic or going beyond the initial post, the move to trash makes sense.

I don‘t see it censoring as much as moderating.

I'm okay with them getting moved to "Trash Talk" personally ... to be honest I don't even look at the section. I click on the 'New Posts' and go from there.

There's a good bunch of intelligent and mature people here unlike I've seen on any other forum.

You can ask a question about anything really and someone will likely have experience on it. Yeah, we're mostly an "older" crowd I'm guessing so we've gotten a little crotchety and miss simpler days when men were men and women were women but it's all good in my mind.

Good discussions and no personal attacks that I've come across and hey, sometimes we even start to move forward a bit in our thinking and become a tad more progressive when we hear others viewpoints.

Oh, I like the romper room discussions. Not a fan of the trash talk. Rather have my opinions open to the masses than a small group.
Not sure how we come to censoring political and health opinions of others. Got to stop calling hate or conspiracy with opinions you don't agree with.

Last edited:
This forum seems good to me, I think that's why enough of us hang out here. Yeah there were a few bad eggs during the Pandemic stirring up chit, somewhat expected, but things are back to normal. I think the mods do ok, they let things slide enough to allow the discussion to be organic, and see if things can be kept civil before stepping in. But there is always room for improvement.

I'm not a fan of Politics because there is nothing good about it. As @Wingboy pointed out, and lots of other forums do this, they just don't allow it.

@Mad Mike what triggered this response?

@Mad Mike what triggered this response?
A few of reasons.

I like to both read and sometimes engage in an energetic debate. Some discussions have made points that swayed my typically conservative thinking.

I don’t see how discussing politics is any further from motorcycles than a Jokes thread with 108 pages.

That challenges to left ideology get a VIP lane to Trash talk. A Dofo joke won’t get you there, a Blackface comment might.

I could be I’m just feeling cantankerous because I haven’t ridden for a few weeks.

Got to stop calling hate or conspiracy with opinions you don't agree with.

Problem is finding the line. Comments promoting YouTube fodder such as: nanobot laced mosquitos being released to mass vaccinate the population MUST be beaten down with a large stick. Then ridiculed.

At a point , and it’s has happened on forums , even with a user name , people have been held responsible and accountable in court for things said on a forum . Scott Tempesta , owner of a forum about 300 times larger than this one settled for millions in a slander suit .
Censorship in many cases is to keep legal dept happy. An open forum is not open season.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Obviously, every once in a while someone stirs the pot, but relative to forum traffic, this forum requires rather little moderation. The 20 thread titles in the front page of "trash talk" right now, date back 3 months, and I'm pretty sure some of those were started there. And, the moderators-only discussion that the rest of you don't see, doesn't have much in it.

This is thanks to YOU people ... not us!

Back
Top Bottom