Tire contingency? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire contingency?

Still no contingency announcement from Bridgestone, but I found out from Dave that the prices are going up this year, due to the CDN$ being down. $439 per set for either V01-Rs or rains. That compares to $350 per set for Dunlop slicks, $399 for Dunlop rains (2015 pricing from Pro 6 website).

Kinda on the fence here...liked the Bridgestones last year, and I also like that Ripp Racing sponsors a SOAR class...but then again contingency is support too and B'stone has announced squat, as of mid April.

Any comments on durability of the B'stone slicks vs the Dunlops? I got the impression last year that the V01-Rs lasted longer than the KRs, but that's not based on much.

I would be VERY surprised if Bstone didn't offer a contingency program. I'm sure it's coming...

Dunlop fronts last forever. Dunlop rear longevity is ok but they are very sensitive to being off temp or a bad set up, the BStones are a bit easier to work with.

I would be VERY surprised if Bstone didn't offer a contingency program. I'm sure it's coming... Dunlop fronts last forever. Dunlop rear longevity is ok but they are very sensitive to being off temp or a bad set up, the BStones are a bit easier to work with.
I was just about to ask where your getting Dunlop slicks for $350 but I realized your not using the 200 rear. I was excited for about 2.5s.

I don't care what they cost, I wouldn't use anything but Dunlops in the rain.

I've been in touch with Dave via email, but he is pretty slow in responding. Last I communicated with him (late last week) he was on the road - not sure if he is back yet.

Ripp racing has confirmed ton their FB page hat there is no Bridgestone contingency money for SOAR this year, beyond their sponsorship of the Bridgestone Cup. I also notice that Pro 6 has removed the 2015 SOAR contingency info from their web page. I hope that doesn't mean...

Yes, and Bridgestone is still doing the Bridgestone Cup at SOAR, but obviously there has been a big scale-back.

Yes, and Bridgestone is still doing the Bridgestone Cup at SOAR, but obviously there has been a big scale-back.

I think there's other reasons and it's none of my buisness but I don't think it's Dunlop scaling back.

I think there's other reasons and it's none of my buisness but I don't think it's Dunlop scaling back.
Like what?

Just as an example of scaling back, soar lost era light/heavy was $150 for a win. Now at race it's $100.

Like what?

Just as an example of scaling back, soar lost era light/heavy was $150 for a win. Now at race it's $100.

Well they have definitly scaled back but cutting out a whole series is more of what I was getting at. AM SBK used to be $500 now it's $200. If you only show up for race day and win you come out even lol.

There is plenty of opportunity for backroom politics when you consider who is involved with what and how.

I can shed some light here. There was recently a racer who had been arguing with both Pro 6 and Dunlop regarding unpaid contingency from last year. SOAR was brought into the conflict even though we have nothing to do with it outside of putting on the event and making results available to Dunlop for their processing through the at track agent.
Recently I was approached by Pro6 regarding the "new" way of processing Dunlop contingency for the upcoming season. They wanted SOAR to hand out and collect the forms, have our tech control the decal and patch placement, fill in results, sign off and then mail to Dunlop for processing. Basically relieving the Dunlop tire rep of any process outside of selling tires. I told them that SOAR does not have the staff to control their program and would not be doing it.
Our position is simple.
SOAR provides their market free of charge (DUNLOP does not pay any vendor fees)
SOAR is not obligated to police a policy of another company especially when we have no control over the end results.
There is an appointed Dunlop rep at our events who is both knowledgeable of the system,paperwork, decals etc who is more qualified and capable of administering it.
We do not want to be dragged into rider disputes especially if something isnt processed properly or timely (our door will be the first stop).
Apparently RACE and CSBK have agreed to do this but there are major differences. RACE does not have our numbers. CSBK is a spec tire where EVERYONE is on Dunlop. Pro 6 is at both RACE and CSBK as well.
I suspect that Dunlop/Pro6 is not happy with our position and removed our contingency eligibility. This puts me in a precarious position as all the tire manufacturers have all been told for the past few years that if SOAR is not on equal footing with RACE then that manufacturer will not be welcome to market at our events. I will be discussing this with some other people involved and that may soon be implemented.
Bottom line here is Dunlop is given a FREE market. We are not there to administer their contingency that they use to market their products and compete with other brands. I offered to do as always and sign off on results and thats it. Wayne has the forms, knows what rider is on what brand, has the decals and patches and can certify compliance and is profiting from the market. There is no upside for SOAR and dumping more work on an already overworked admin staff is not fair and I am not prepared to do that to relieve Dunlop of their responsibilities.
The ONLY reason that I am making this public is to head off the "speculators" if you are a Dunlop rider or wish to be I suggest that you contact Dunlop/Pro6 with your concerns. They are aware of our position and are welcome to participate at SOAR but it will be with our rules not theirs.

Ok, I, Sheena, me, messed up and posted the wrong contingency file.
I posted my proposed file to the website rather than the approved file from Dunlop which I received back in March. It was an oversight on my part, and I am sorry if this has led to any upset or confusion for our riders.
After speaking with Ken (which he has so kindly posted for you all) this week, and I was getting everything in order to discuss with Wayne and best prepare him for 2015, when I noticed my mistake. So I deleted the file off our website. I then emailed Dunlop to confirm my error, and did not get confirmation until Friday. I didn't want to make another mistake.
Since I was at Shannonville all weekend, and today is my Birthday, I had hoped to take today off (like a normal person) and post the correct file and beg for SOAR forgiveness from Ken via email and online to the public tomorrow. But alas, here I am on GTAM once again.
It was not intentional, nor malicious. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with Kens very clear stance on the aforementioned, separate conversation that I had via email with him last week.
Yes, Dunlop is the only tire manufacture paying contingency prize money in open competition classes at the regional level. Everyone else has cancelled their programs. We made sure this did not happen.
SOAR contingency still remains HIGHER than RACE, CSBK and all other clubs in the country.
RACE and CSBK as well as EMRA and ARL will be handling the forms and verifying their own results.
In fact, every club series (over 20 clubs) in the USA does this as well, and always has. We have been asked to get in-line with this.
Wayne at Kennedy Motorsports along with me, will be handling the program for 2015 at SOAR to the best of our abilities, as always.
It had nothing to do with the SOAR rider contingency dispute that Ken has brought up. He was not the only rider who disputed this season, mistakes happen and we do all in our power to resolve them. I am embracing the new form format as I know it will be better for the riders.
I assure you, I am not allergic to more work. If the old way was the best way, it would remain the way.
We made a commitment to provide contingency to SOAR riders for 2015 and that is what will happen.

Now I am going to go and try to enjoy what's left of my Birthday and leave you to your speculations.

Happy birthday Sheena!

Hope the rest of your day is drama free and fun.

Ok, I, Sheena, me, messed up and posted the wrong contingency file.
I posted my proposed file to the website rather than the approved file from Dunlop which I received back in March. It was an oversight on my part, and I am sorry if this has led to any upset or confusion for our riders.
After speaking with Ken (which he has so kindly posted for you all) this week, and I was getting everything in order to discuss with Wayne and best prepare him for 2015, when I noticed my mistake. So I deleted the file off our website. I then emailed Dunlop to confirm my error, and did not get confirmation until Friday. I didn't want to make another mistake.
Since I was at Shannonville all weekend, and today is my Birthday, I had hoped to take today off (like a normal person) and post the correct file and beg for SOAR forgiveness from Ken via email and online to the public tomorrow. But alas, here I am on GTAM once again.
It was not intentional, nor malicious. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with Kens very clear stance on the aforementioned, separate conversation that I had via email with him last week.
Yes, Dunlop is the only tire manufacture paying contingency prize money in open competition classes at the regional level. Everyone else has cancelled their programs. We made sure this did not happen.
SOAR contingency still remains HIGHER than RACE, CSBK and all other clubs in the country.
RACE and CSBK as well as EMRA and ARL will be handling the forms and verifying their own results.
In fact, every club series (over 20 clubs) in the USA does this as well, and always has. We have been asked to get in-line with this.
Wayne at Kennedy Motorsports along with me, will be handling the program for 2015 at SOAR to the best of our abilities, as always.
It had nothing to do with the SOAR rider contingency dispute that Ken has brought up. He was not the only rider who disputed this season, mistakes happen and we do all in our power to resolve them. I am embracing the new form format as I know it will be better for the riders.
I assure you, I am not allergic to more work. If the old way was the best way, it would remain the way.
We made a commitment to provide contingency to SOAR riders for 2015 and that is what will happen.

Now I am going to go and try to enjoy what's left of my Birthday and leave you to your speculations.
Thank you very much for continuing to support SOAR racers! Dunlop ftw!

Good job Sheena! Happy Birthday!
Not many of us have the stones to do what she just did!

Back
Top Bottom