Tire changer mounting options | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire changer mounting options

coyo

Site Supporter
I just picked up a Cycle Hill motorcycle tire changer.

I'd rather not drill into my garage floor as I don't want the changer permanently mounted (it will live folded up and out of the way). My thought is to sandwich two sheets of 4x4 plywood, countersink bolts from the bottom and mount the changer to it (as pictured below). When not in use the changer could be removed from the sheets and stored while the sheets could be leaned up against the wall and out of the way.

Before doing this I'm just wondering if anyone has any other options or ideas.

Cheers

DSCN0909.jpg

DSCN0860.jpg

I put 3/8 threaded shots(4) into the concrete floor. When not in use tire changer is hung up in rafters. I fill shot holes with short bolts leaving the heads proud. I take those out and mount the tire changer with longer bolts. 10 minutes. You're idea is good tho.

edit, I made a square box of 2 layers of 2x4 for the wheel to lay on keeping the rotor of ground for breaking the bead.......

Last edited:
I put 3/8 threaded shots(4) into the concrete floor. When not in use tire changer is hung up in rafters. I fill shot holes with short bolts leaving the heads proud. I take those out and mount the tire changer with longer bolts. 10 minutes. You're idea is good tho.

edit, I made a square box of 2 layers of 2x4 for the wheel to lay on keeping the rotor of ground for breaking the bead.......

No issues continually threading into the inserts? I guess I am just leery about drilling into the floor. I read somewhere that instead of threading bolts into the holes to use those squeezable ear plugs, that way there's nothing protruding from the floor at all.

As for the box; I'm thinking the same, just as in the 2nd pic posted above.

Looks like you're running a pretty clean operation there. I can see why you don't want to mar the floor. As far as continually threading the shots, I never really thought of that, they're steel and I don't need stupid torque to hold it steady.
The ear plug idea would work but I'd be more inclined to slot a short piece of threaded rod and screw it in with flat blade screw driver flush to floor. I actually have tripped on the bolt heads.

Regarding the box, you got the idea....now that I look at the base of your changer I see that the protruding leg is a plate where mine is 1 1/2 c channel. I built my box 2 layers so I could leave one piece out to bridge the leg, if that makes sense.

Using the bead breaker I found spring loading it with a bungee cord helps hold it up. I think you'll see what I mean when you try it.

Well, please explain to me the difference of using that machine and just using two tire levers?????

If you need that thing to break a bead, you don't deserve that tool.

Well, please explain to me the difference of using that machine and just using two tire levers?????

Honestly, I don't need the big bar but I have it so I use it for tire removal. One smooth move. I use three tire irons and a bead buddy for mounting. The bead breaker is pretty damn handy.

I like how the machine locks the wheel down, one less thing to fumble with.

Ok, but if you are a private bike owner changing his own tires, you might use it a few times a year.
Is it really worth it?

I CAN change my own tires, but choose to bring it to Rosey.

Ok, but if you are a private bike owner changing his own tires, you might use it a few times a year.
Is it really worth it?

I get a buzz from it. I also change my own oil.

I can do the tire changes without but this is a slicker, quicker method and why not treat myself?

I do all my own maintenance on all three of my bikes and do a bunch of maintenance on friend's bikes and for years I've been slowly accumulating tools to do the job properly.

I didn't realize I had to justify it to you.

I'm of two minds, I do like the idea of inset threads and bolt it down when you want. But the plywood would give you options of where to sit it. The reason most stuff at my house is bolted in place is so it cant be borrowed for "just an hour" that lasts three months and four phone calls...

Is it really worth it?

Where do you buy your tires and at what cost? What does Rosey charge to mount each tire?

I usually order online, delivered to my door and save money. Then to install myself is free and done on my time, day or night. My friends will order their tires online and ship them to my house, then they just show up with their bikes for the change.

Very convenient.

Last edited:
I can do the tire changes without but this is a slicker, quicker method and why not treat myself?

I do all my own maintenance on all three of my bikes and do a bunch of maintenance on friend's bikes and for years I've been slowly accumulating tools to do the job properly.

I didn't realize I had to justify it to you.

Yes, please provide your bank card pin # and your wifes measurements too :)

perhaps you can mount it to the wall in a slide/swing out kinda a deal therefore the entire thing is always out of the way.
If you must mount on the floor, is it possible to put a threaded sleeve into the floor (drill a hole first). When not in use put a washer on top of it and put some silicone on top of washer.

Just some ideas.

To clarify; the pics above are not of my changer, just where I got the idea. I'm hearing on another forum that there may not be enough stability when mounted on plywood depending on the tires being mounted. I'm thinking that, for the cost of a sheet of plywood, and barring any other suggestions, I'll just try that and see.

As for the suggestion to hinge it out from the wall; I like the idea, but I've no wall space left that I'd want to commit to it, as you can see in this panoramic;

IMG_0946_zps2afbe3d5.jpg

To clarify; the pics above are not of my changer, just where I got the idea. I'm hearing on another forum that there may not be enough stability when mounted on plywood depending on the tires being mounted. I'm thinking that, for the cost of a sheet of plywood, and barring any other suggestions, I'll just try that and see.

As for the suggestion to hinge it out from the wall; I like the idea, but I've no wall space left that I'd want to commit to it, as you can see in this panoramic;

IMG_0946_zps2afbe3d5.jpg

you should mark those snow tire positions with bigger caulk letters, guy could miss that from across the street , in a balloon. ...... I kid....

I have a friend that has his tire changer mounted to a heavy duty skid which he store outside when not using it.
The skid provide a very secure mount.

you should mark those snow tire positions with bigger caulk letters, guy could miss that from across the street , in a balloon. ...... I kid....

Yeah, it is LARGE. I use my son's sidewalk chalk which rubbed off easy. I should get a tire marker.

What are the measurements of the box? And 2 layers? Got a pic?

Sorry no pic. The box is 21x21. Yes 2 layers so that I could delete 1 of the 4 bottom pieces. That way it will slide over the changer stand. If you're ever in Westdale I'd be happy to show you my setup. I have a modified HarborFreight unit.

Sorry no pic. The box is 21x21. Yes 2 layers so that I could delete 1 of the 4 bottom pieces. That way it will slide over the changer stand. If you're ever in Westdale I'd be happy to show you my setup. I have a modified HarborFreight unit.

So the 2x4's are stacked flat or on end?

So the 2x4's are stacked flat or on end?

Flat, 3 inch high total. I only did that because it made it easy to relieve space for the stand leg. You may well have different requirements. But the 21x21 outside measurements are good for 17-19 in. wheels.

Back
Top Bottom