Tinted visor law? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tinted visor law?

rider1106

I know cars can get ticketed in Ontario at the cops discretion if the tint is so dark they can not see the driver. Can you get ticketed for having a tinted visor?

Tinted Visors clearly say for daytime only, so I'll assume that if using one at night you could get a ticket by a officer.

I know cars can get ticketed in Ontario at the cops discretion if the tint is so dark they can not see the driver. Can you get ticketed for having a tinted visor?

I was thinking about this just recently actually. I've ridden past cops with my tinted visor and never got bothered for it.
I think the main reason it's illegal to have extremely dark tints on a car, is to make sure you're visible in case you were drinking/doing drugs/no seat belt and things of that nature.
A helmet visor just covers your face and protects your eyes from the sun while your body is perfectly visible.
Can't see why it would be illegal.

Last edited:
Illegal or not, why would you wear a tinted visor at night...

I can understand riders leave it up when they forget their visor at home, but having it down?.. lol

It's not so bad with a tinted visor at night.
I had to do it with pitch black roads from perry sound because a fellow rider bike broke down and by the time the tow truck came it was dark.

Ever since then I don't even swap out my visors. In the GTA on well lit roads it isn't a problem. But if I know I'm going to ride hard all night I will switch

Last edited:
The reason for it being illegal in cars is because cops can't see you when they approach your car. you can be digging around for a weapon etc. the cops want to see who and how many are i. the car when pulling someone over. dark tints hide that.

on a bike you can see the whole person. no one is hiding. so its fine.

Mine says NOT DOT APPROVED on a sticker right on it and even on my M2X course where they were sticklers about having the right gear and everything, they didn't care.

There is no law against tinted visor in Ontario. Tented windows on cars is an officer safety issue.<o:p></o:p>

There is no law against tinted visor in Ontario. Tented windows on cars is an officer safety issue.<o:p></o>

Well you'd have a hard time seeing out your windows if you tented them. Tinting on the other hand... :D

Then again I keep seeing Asian ladies with those stick on window covers that almost completely block your vision on their front side windows (meant to create a sunshade in the back for your kids)... something tells me that's not legal.

Then again I keep seeing Asian ladies with those stick on window covers that almost completely block your vision on their front side windows (meant to create a sunshade in the back for your kids)... something tells me that's not legal.

It is illegal to drive the way they drive and no one is stopping them.

original.gif

I can understand riders leave it up when they forget their visor at home, but having it down?.. lol

well you must not have gotten too many bugs or other **** in your eyes especially at night...
probably haven't ridden fast enough to get teary eyed without a visor either...

Bell Transition Visor... never have this problem again!

Bell Transition Visor... never have this problem again!

+1 Love this thing. My old helmet had a dark tint and I rode with it down, at night and in the middle of nowhere. I could see just fine but was careful not to overdrive the headlights.

+1 Love this thing. My old helmet had a dark tint and I rode with it down, at night and in the middle of nowhere. I could see just fine but was careful not to overdrive the headlights.

I love mine. Not quite as dark as a regular dark tint visor but plenty good and is constantly adjusting to the light. Darkens very fast too.

I was thinking about this just recently actually. I've ridden past cops with my tinted visor and never got bothered for it.
I think the main reason it's illegal to have extremely dark tints on a car, is to make sure you're visible in case you were drinking/doing drugs/no seat belt and things of that nature.
A helmet visor just covers your face and protects your eyes from the sun while your body is perfectly visible.
Can't see why it would be illegal.

Unless the visor has UV protection it doesn't protect your eyes. Without UV protection a tinted lens or visor fools your eyes into opening the pupils because the light is dimmed. However the UV goes through and damages the eye because of the larger pupil.

No, they aren't illegal. There are places in which a level of tint over a certain percentage is illegal for visors, but not here.

*EDIT* The UK regs can be seen here: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publicatio...ets/motorcycle-helmets-visors-and-goggles.pdf

The cops over here don't bother us to much, few years ago they had a purge on tinted visors and race cans. The ruling is they won't give tinted visors a B.S. kite mark so this makes them illegal to fit. You can wear sunglasses tho, i ride all the time with a tinted visor and i'd be really unlucky if i got a ticket. Its illegal to sell tinted visors here, so we get them through the internet , and there sent from outside the UK from places like Jersey or Guernsey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom