Time to replace my 'uninspiring' motorcycle... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time to replace my 'uninspiring' motorcycle...

Moto Guzzi is very Italian.

They are all easy enough to work on.
Moto Guzzi is particularly easy to work on considering the cylinder heads are hanging out both sides and there are only 2 of them. Good cooling, shaft drive too and that suits the longitudinal engine layout. Great brakes and suspension in a slightly heavier engine bike then some.
But you`re talking about wrenching yourself. What about those for the less inclined? Dealer support?

But you`re talking about wrenching yourself. What about those for the less inclined? Dealer support?
Is the only way I've known it since I bought my first bike at age 10,
buy a proper service manual, get hands dirty, learn to wrench, afford to ride (y)

Years ago I found myself at some gravel roads after travelling on pavement and thought “it would be nice not to end my trip here and turn around”, so I got a bike that can do both and wouldn’t have it any other way now. Ontario has so many trails and gravel roads to places that you’re only getting the pick of a fraction of what it can offer if you stay on pavement. That’s my 2c.

There is a bonus....extra suspension travel helps with the god awful roads we have in general.

Not 100% sure but I think I know the current owner of that green Guzzi; there aren't exactly a whole lot of them around. If it's who I think it is, the current owner is a real Guzzi enthusiast, and that is a good thing.

Still... place bet whether this or a Yamaha is still running after 100,000 km, my money is on the Yamaha...

Nothing wrong with a VFR for what it is but "Honda" and "character" haven't been synonymous in a very long time.

What italian or spanish bikes would you recommend for long comfortable hwy trips?
On a long trip? I'd choose Bianchi, Colagno, Campagnolo, or Orbea because they are light and the easiest Italian and Spanish bikes to push home.

Not 100% sure but I think I know the current owner of that green Guzzi; there aren't exactly a whole lot of them around. If it's who I think it is, the current owner is a real Guzzi enthusiast, and that is a good thing.

Still... place bet whether this or a Yamaha is still running after 100,000 km, my money is on the Yamaha...
I think today you can say that about all Japanese bikes. You can keep anything running forever, the real test is the cost of ownership through 100,000Km, the nice thing about the Japanese brands is they can all hit that mark with out major repairs as long as you do routine maintenance.

Spain makes the best competition dirt bikes, they don't need to make anything else ;)

Honda likes them so much they bought the company.

Guzzi will still be on the first drive shaft, the Yamaha went through how many chains?

If you got one day a month to ride, I'll assume you dont want to dedicate a lot of time to maintenance days, stay Japanese.
If you owned two different honda 500's, an sv650 will feel much sportier, more powerful, and the vtwin sounds and feels like it has much more character than the parallel twin.
If it were my money though, I'd be looking at an mt07, they've done great things with that engine.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I have an FZ07 with 14,600 km on it and have had to do nothing other than oil changes, cleaning and lubing my chain...now I'm not an aggressive rider at all and I'm very lightweight (103 lbs) so that may have an effect as well, but my tires have tons of tread (stock tires) and my brake pads are in great shape too...I added a Puig windscreen and Barkbusters hand guards (my hands get cold easily)...I'm 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam and pretty much flat foot it...very light, nimble and fun to ride...go for it...?

Last edited:
You might consider a Yamaha Fazer 800. Inline 4 with good power, decent torque and sound. Friendly ergos and enough fairing and windscreen for comfortable highway riding. Reliable as basalt (I had an '11 before my Tuono and all it needed was fork seals after 40000kms.) Looking at Autotrader .ca there's an '11 with 15KMs on it for $5800:

https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/yamah...ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_5_5&pc=N2K 3S7&sprx=-2

i would recommend Triumph Street Triple. I was looking at that bike for a while however i ended up with the MV Brutale.

The CB500x is a sister to the Rebel 500,
just plain no.

You should know better than to comment on a bike you don't ride. A marginal cruiser versus one of Honda's top selling bikes.
You want uninspiring ...try a Honda 700x
•••

OP
Your first issue is seat height
The next insurance.

An FZ6 should fit you nicely and give you an inline four experience with reasonable insurance.

You are okay with a CBF1000 for seat height ( it's adjustable ) and you won't lack for go fast but you can still tour it.
I put 3000k on in four days going to and from Ohio and having a ball on the twists there and you can keep up with the faster bikes easily ...torque is just a hoot and terrific brakes... the newer version which is lighter and has some nice improvements is in your budget.

This is a deal
$_59.JPG

Pearl White 2012 Honda CBF 1000 Sport Touring Bike. Excellent condition, 4 cylinders, fuel injected, ABS, low kilometers, 2nd additional style windshield and racks for side bags included, , very well maintained, original owners manual. Must be seen.
24,000 km ...bit of a steal IMNSHO considering people are asking more for the previous gen versions.
2012 Honda CBF 1000 Sport Touring Bike | Sport Touring | Trenton | Kijiji

I've always had my eye on a VFR800 but never pulled the trigger and seating position now would not work for me.
Many seem to love them.

For your budget you can get a new ( or last year ) CB500x but not sure that is what you are after and certainly no thrill machine. Just a comfortable long range solo ride ....not so much two up.

Vstrom 650 is too top heavy for your height and no thrills tho a bullet proof ride. I think the FZ8 and FZ9 ( MT9 ) both will feel top heavy for you but no lack of zoom zoom.

I've heard good things about the Triumph Street Triples...if you can find a 3 or 4 cylinder machine that you can ride in comfort that will give you your thrills yet still allow you longer riders.

This is a beaut
$_59.JPG

Red and white 2014 Yamaha fz6r, 24,000kms. 4 cylinder fuel injected crotch rocket. Fantastic looking bike in perfect shape including new tires and saddle bags. Upgraded taller windshield and padded seat for longer trips. Excellent gas mileage, 20kms. per liter,17 liter tank. Selling because I'm looking to get a bigger cruising bike.
also 24,000 km, good range on a 17 liter tank.

good info here
2014 Yamaha FZ6R @ Top Speed

Might be a keeper for you and better fuel milage than the CBF1000 - likely lower insurance too.

My Italian bike hasn't needed anything in 25,000km. Oil change schedule is 12,000km and major service is at 30,000. Certainly hasn't required more maintenance than the dozen modern Japanese bikes I've had which have all been good. Recalls about equal across the board.

My Italian bike hasn't needed anything in 25,000km. Oil change schedule is 12,000km and major service is at 30,000. Certainly hasn't required more maintenance than the dozen modern Japanese bikes I've had which have all been good. Recalls about equal across the board.
Good to hear. Which make & model?

You know who promotes the notion that modern Italian motorcycles are unreliable and terrible to service! <- Motorcycle sales people that promote the sales and service of some other brand of motorcycle. The prevailing notion of people who have never and will never likely own one.

Back
Top Bottom