tight clutch. need advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

tight clutch. need advice

chin.r

Hi everyone,

Over the long weekend, went on a long ride, stuck in horrible 'expected' traffic.

The constant use of the clutch exhausted my left hand to a great degree. (CBR600)

I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice on how to fix my problem.

Is there some kind of way to adjust the clutch less tight or something.:confused:

Oil the clutch cable would be the first thing I'd try.

Made a world of difference on my bike.

Give it 24hours to soak in for full effect

wrist-strengthening-exercise-equipement-9604147.jpg

as mentioned cleaning out the cable makes quite a big difference, adjust clutch cable top and bottom. Thats about it

This, or get a second smaller bike for horrible expected traffic.

Can always think of getting stuck in traffic as exercise for your left hand if your dominant hand is your right. xD

I lube my cable but if it's a couple years old or has lots of mielage on it, it's time to cough up the $30 and replace it. You can lube it all you want but it won't feel anywhere near as good as a new cable.

You may be able to use adjustable levers to set the lever at a more comfortable spot for your hand. Personally, I try to leave it in gear and cruise along at idle, but that's why I like twins, I've never tried it on a 600 ss, I don't know if they can do it.

Good advice above.

It may also be possible to rotate the controls so the clutch lever is at the best angle for your riding position/grip-angle.

In traffic, I usually stop with my right foot down and my left foot on the peg (footboard for the Harley). That way I can put the bike in neutral and release the clutch, but be ready to engage first gear again if traffic starts to move or a threat comes up behind.

As part of my winter maintenance, I lube the clutch cable each year.
Squeeze the clutch handle as far as it will go, then lube the exposed cable.
I read years ago the best thing to use is beeswax.
Chemical lubricants can degrade the plastic housing of the clutch cable.

Hi everyone,

Over the long weekend, went on a long ride, stuck in horrible 'expected' traffic.

The constant use of the clutch exhausted my left hand to a great degree. (CBR600)

Is there some kind of way to adjust the clutch less tight or something.:confused:

what levers do you have on? full length or shorty?

You need to change the clutch engagement point & see what works best for you

I don't think it's a lube problem but more of a "I'm not used to this much clutch pulling." Give it a couple weeks and your hand will be strong enough to crush a baby's head.

Hi everyone,

Is your lever OEM or aftermarket? I have heard that aftermarket levers like Pazzos etc do help with the tension, so try that out if it becomes too annoying.

thank you very much for all your inputs.

i will go buy some lube, probably have to google youtube on how and where to lube my cable.

i do have shorty levers.

btw, some ppl mention about adjusting the dial :confused:...........yes or no?

much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom