throw out your arais and shoeis boys, cardboard protects your head better | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

throw out your arais and shoeis boys, cardboard protects your head better

It's stupid to buy expensive motorcycle helmets, they are more delicate than normal ones, you drop one on the floor and you have to buy another one, how smart is that?

Are you telling me that my shoei is more brittle and less protective then your HJC? Well... at least I have airflow

Some of you make me wany to delete my GTAM account . . . . (><)

The feeling creeps up on me too, especially when I hear about replacing helmets after a 4 ft drop.

Now either these people are paid shills for the helmet manufacturers or they have x-ray vision so they can see the cracks in the foam they keep talking about. If the helmet was involved in a crash where your head impacted the ground, then by all means replace it. Your head will press against the foam and potentially deform it. But an empty helmet, made of a pastic or fibre glass shell and foam core will not crack on its own because these materials do have a fair amount of elasticity built in.

The same goes for puncture damage in tires. Did ANYONE have a blowout in a motorcycle tire due to a plug repair? I'm not asking if a friend of a friend of my fourth cousin had one. I'm asking if YOU experienced it, or saw it happen first hand AND you can prove the tire blew up because of the repair and not some other reason.

With that all said, suppose after falling, you decide to use that already compromised helmet again. As stated above the outer surface acts to spread the area of the impact, and the inner lining will crush around this area to cushion your head; it could be a pretty big area. If there's any engineers reading this, you'll also know how serious cracks and crack propagation can be, and how easily it can lead to the compromising the strength and integrity of any material. During your next fall, not only will you not have the ability to cushion your fall, there's a pretty good chance the outter shell can break wide open, leaving you pretty vulnerable to whatever you're about to collide with.

This damage can occur with most helmets from just a 4 foot fall. With that said, if I ever accidently dropped my helmet off the kitchen counter, I rather not take the risk :D

Look up the SNELL tests and THEIR suggestions. I'm pretty sure their experience with dropped helmets is superior to yours, what with their sole purpose being testing helmets being dropped or crashed.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aDroppedHelmet

drive around with cardboard...who cares lol

I'll wear a helmet because its cool, and I have smashed my head on the ice without one, and have with one on my snow mobile. With the helmet hurt considerably less (no pain at all).

Look up the SNELL tests and THEIR suggestions. I'm pretty sure their experience with dropped helmets is superior to yours, what with their sole purpose being testing helmets being dropped or crashed.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aDroppedHelmet

I should've been replying in regards to this one instead >_<

K I crashed at ~130km/h in my Joe Rocket helmet.

I crashed again at ~40km/h stunting with that helmet.

Both times my head smashed the ground. Both times I felt nothing nor did I suffer any damage to the head.

I still wear it (occasionally). I trust it more than anything. GO JOE!

Don't care what anyone says I'm never letting it go.

Fixed it. My bad!

Aparently the little drop is not enough to damage the helmet. Jay Leno on his garage site has a vid up with a rep from Arai that says so. Seen it on here but not sure where to find it.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...pped-from-waist-height&highlight=helmet+waist

I had dropped an ICON from about waist height after a case of butter fingers... There is some useful information, including the video of the ARAI guy saying you need to have a head in it for it to deform as well as the ICON rep saying that it's most likely OK. If you're really worried about it I know that Arai and SHOEI will actually X-Ray the EPS to make sure it hasn't deformed. You have to ship it to them though.

Actually, you're supposed to replace ANY helmet that's dropped. Since you don't know if it's compromised or not...and you'd potentially find out in a manner you don't want to I suppose.

I hope you don't mean if you drop your helmet on the floor to replace it. I am hoping you are saying if you crash it.

Because there is a video floating around out there of Mr. Arai himself saying it's ok to use a helmet that has fell a couple feet of your bike seat or whatever.

I should've been replying in regards to this one instead >_<

Fixed it. My bad!

That explains a lot. :) Yes, replacing a helmet after a crash (that is your head is inside the helmet when it hits the ground) makes sense.

The same goes for puncture damage in tires. Did ANYONE have a blowout in a motorcycle tire due to a plug repair? I'm not asking if a friend of a friend of my fourth cousin had one. I'm asking if YOU experienced it, or saw it happen first hand AND you can prove the tire blew up because of the repair and not some other reason.

Threadjack - yes, I have, and it was 100% plug failure.

Hello? Where did I say any of that? Um...yeah. Didn't. Try not reading anything and everything into my post. My point is, once a helmet is compromised (and it may be once dropped without you realising it)...it may not protect your head in the manner it's supposed to...and guess what? You won't know until you NEED IT. Then after it fails and breaks apart or something stupid...you'll perhaps have the opportunity (if you're lucky and your head doesn't break apart with it) to look back and think "Ohhhh....". My point with the photo is that if your helmet is compromised and you don't know it....you could end up injured because of it. Is it worth it?

Wow! Its like the government fear propaganda (I will make a outlandish claim... and heres a picture **but i wont tell you they are not related**)

Wow! Its like the government fear propaganda (I will make a outlandish claim... and heres a picture **but i wont tell you they are not related**)

That's what Fox News does!!

I also don't intend to ride like an idiot and recklessly, thus the reason why I don't put on leather armor all over.

I assume you also intend for others out on the road with you to also not drive like and idiot or wrecklessly? do you control them with the power of your mind?

I assume you also intend for others out on the road with you to also not drive like and idiot or wrecklessly? do you control them with the power of your mind?

You mean the force isn't strong with you? Psshh.. you're missing out ;)

It's stupid to buy expensive motorcycle helmets, they are more delicate than normal ones, you drop one on the floor and you have to buy another one, how smart is that?

So, if you drop a "normal" helmet on the floor accidently, you could just continue wearing it as opposed to an expensive helmet that you gotta throw out? :rolleyes:

The helmet thing keeps coming up. Of course Motorcyclist Magazine did an excellent test of helmets many moons back (2005) that showed the more expensive helmets tend to transfer MORE energy to the head than the cheaper ones (in general here, not cut and dry). One rough conclusion (I am giving the coles notes version) was the Snell standard was unrealistic in preparing for super high G crashes--ie racing (requiring stiffer internals) and in lower speed real world crashes the stiffer internals just transfer more energy to the brain.

Of course the people who run Snell, the people who sell expensive lids and the people who bought expensive lids hate this article... and will rant all over this. But they cannot say "post the data" if disagree with the article POST THE DATA.... Post the data that shows a correlation between money spent and safety.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Even if you do not agree with the conclusions, one important point is that helmets meeting a certain certification are all built to a min standard so tripling what you pay does not make it three times better when it comes to safety (in fact odds are it is exactly the same). Of course it may look better, it may be lighter, it may be quieter, and it may be more comfortable.

As for dropping your lid, there are two key layers of protection. The internal energy absorbing liner and the outer shell. If there is no weight in the helmet (you did not drop it with your head inside, or you were not storing your bowling ball inside) when it drops the energy absorbing liner will be intact. So you need to worry about the shell. You can decide from their on your own.

Back to the OP, I bet beefed up the cardboard concept could work in a motorcycle helmet, but seriously beefed up. My guess is no one would buy it.

The box for my Arai is WAY lighter than the box for my HJC.

Sweet! I'm spending $650+tax on an Arai RX-Q tonight at Rider's Choice! Wooo!!

Back
Top Bottom