Thoughts on under armour? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on under armour?

Jampy00

Site Supporter
While I have always wore armoured jackets, I typically wear riding jeans without armour as I find the armour to be either flimsy and/or ill fitting.

I've considered looking at under armour. Knee and hip pads etc.
Minimum CE level 1 or 2

Anyone have experience with this, any problems or positive feedback?
Lastly, any brands you've had experience with?

Knee armor gets hot and sticky underneath, but stays in place better. Bulky, so you'll need to find pants wide enough at the knee to fit over. I've seen guys wear knee armor over their jeans, which looks weird, but solves both problems.

If you do wear them under pants, then they're going to eventually stink like hockey equipment and you'll have to wash them often without the family dog wretching every time you come back from a ride.

1-Leat-dual-axis.jpg

I first started out using Alpinestars knee armor, but those only had a single hinge and was uncomfortable when I bent my knee. They were also the sleeve design with material behind the knee which bunched up uncomfortably when bent.

Now I use Leatt Dual Axis for better flexibility, and MX/ADV pants (which are designed with more knee room) over them. They have multiple straps instead of a sleeve which leaves the back of the knee free of encumbrance. I think most manufacturers offer dual axis knee armor these days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Yea, know all about stinky knee pads from my skateboarding days.

I was looking into these: Revit Scram Knee Protector
SEEFLEX™ Level 2 CE protection
1692019423437.png
While I suspect they are more geared for off road use, I think they would provide the same if not better protection than what comes standard in riding jeans. (really only have to protect me once...)

To be fair I've ordered and returned a few pairs of pants now, simply because of the sloppy fit in the armor.
I have yet to find something that is decent for riding but also somewhat functional/fashionable when off the bike.

I wore Draggin jeans. Not as good as proper gear but more convenient access to pockets and zippers. The pockets were extra deep so I didn't feel like I was about to lose my wallet. A bit warm but not like leather.

I wore Draggin jeans. Not as good as proper gear but more convenient access to pockets and zippers. The pockets were extra deep so I didn't feel like I was about to lose my wallet. A bit warm but not like leather.
I typically wear my Scorpion Covert Jeans.
  • Traditional 5 pocket design
  • 165GSM DuPont Kevlar lining from knee to waist
Just would like to beef them up with some armor that didn't slide all over the place.

Might try the following pants:

Klim K Fifty 2 Straight Riding Pants
Klim Switchback Cargo Pants
Revit Lombard 3 Jeans
Revit Dean Pants

Last edited:
I wear a Olympia Moab jacket and Airglide pants and have wondered just how effective the "armour" would be in an actual accident scenario. Its got to stay in place to work and would it if you're tumbling down the road? I'll be watching this thread.

I wear a Olympia Moab jacket and Airglide pants and have wondered just how effective the "armour" would be in an actual accident scenario. Its got to stay in place to work and would it if you're tumbling down the road? I'll be watching this thread.
That is exactly what my thoughts are. Also, with under armor you could (in theory) wear almost any pants you wish...

If the jacket / pants are loose...they MAY help with the initial hit as there's not much tumbling b/w the front wheel hitting and your body slamming into something.

After that...we are nothing more than
1692021088193.jpeg
Twisting and twirling as we slow down.

I have a set of Forcefield Body Armour knee pads that I've had for a decade plus and they're fairly comfortable. Only issue I have with them is the straps are now loose, and the velcro doesn't stick as well, but still does.

Need to figure out how to make those velcro straps better / tighter. But these fit very well under my loose kevlar jeans.

Forcefield.jpg

That is exactly what my thoughts are. Also, with under armor you could (in theory) wear almost any pants you wish...

Depending on how tight your pants are, most knee armor is quite bulky and may not fit if you plan on using it as under armor. If it's a tight squeeze and you manage to get your pants over the armor, they might be uncomfortable when you bend the knee. You may have to remove the existing armor in the pants for it to even fit.

I think that's why I see a lot of guys wear their knee guards over the pants instead of under.

I have pair of KTM Defender pants with armor in it. When I go serious off-roading, I remove the built-in armor and it's got enough room to wear knee guards underneath.

D30 armour has allowed for thinner designs.
26430-001_fox_launch_d30_knee_guards.png

I take out the smaller knee pads wih the Rev'it riding pants and use a slip on which stays in place. Downside is it can be hot.
I find 511 tactical pants offer decent protection with an under armour knee rig
Can be worn as regular jeans, lots of pockets and roomy enough in the knees.

For normal riding I have a couple of elastic straps on the top and bottom of each knee to stop the integrated armour moving up and down.
I made them out of 2" black elastic fabric, just sewn in a loop.
I tried using Fox Titan Pro knee guards, that were similar to Lightcycle's Leatt ones, but they slide down too far as I ride.
I then bought your Revit Scram ones above and they work much better.

For normal riding I have a couple of elastic straps on the top and bottom of each knee to stop the integrated armour moving up and down.
I made them out of 2" black elastic fabric, just sewn in a loop.
I tried using Fox Titan Pro knee guards, that were similar to Lightcycle's Leatt ones, but they slide down too far as I ride.
I then bought your Revit Scram ones above and they work much better.
Good to know, I'm still undecided as to which direction I want to go but I appreciate your input.

I've never liked the armour built into the pants, they move around just lifting my leg onto the pegs, not keen to see how they fare in a tumble.

Started using the Dainese knee guards 3 seasons ago. The straps take a bit of getting used to fit properly and can on occasion pinch bare skin but they provide great articulated coverage from over the knee to almost the ankle and once strapped on properly you tend to forget they are there. they fit with my tall Alpinestars boots with no interference, and can be worn under or over jeans.

I paid 90 back then, they're now at 125 for the pair but still a worthwhile addition to the gear collection IMO.

I've never liked the armour built into the pants, they move around just lifting my leg onto the pegs, not keen to see how they fare in a tumble.

Started using the Dainese knee guards 3 seasons ago. The straps take a bit of getting used to fit properly and can on occasion pinch bare skin but they provide great articulated coverage from over the knee to almost the ankle and once strapped on properly you tend to forget they are there. they fit with my tall Alpinestars boots with no interference, and can be worn under or over jeans.

I paid 90 back then, they're now at 125 for the pair but still a worthwhile addition to the gear collection IMO.

My only issue with these types is they run so low they actually interfere with my boots. Otherwise it’d be great to have coverage from my toes to above the knee.

My only issue with these types is they run so low they actually interfere with my boots. Otherwise it’d be great to have coverage from my toes to above the knee.
keep the bike, spend the next cheque on longer legs!

I was concerned about that as well, but they are narrow and fairly low profile at the bottom, only a few inches into my smx boots and I can't feel any interference. Having said that I have long and skinny legs, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom