Thoughts on armoured shirts/hoodies | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on armoured shirts/hoodies

Vontwowheels

I'm looking for something new, I've got a few jackets that work well across most temperatures but they're all obviously motorcycle jackets.

Looking for something more casual I see a ton of hoodies and plaid style shirts with Armour, and Kevlar in the elbows and shoulders, and spine.
I'm only looking at ones that have Armour as they're are tons that are just reinforced in elbows and likely contact areas.

Any experience? Do they give close or the same protection?
Any I should look into or shy away from?

I have an Alpinestars Chrome Sports Hoodie. There's armor in the shoulder, elbows and there's a pocket in the back which will fit a back protector (not included).

The fabric is supposed to be abrasion-resistant with aramid reinforcements where your pointy bits are - elbow, shoulders and back.

Looks very casual, and the hoodie snaps off to make it a more jacket like. The fabric is very thick and not meant for summer days. I've been wearing it with a mid-layer in 10°-15° weather.

I have a Kevlar work shirt, but it's too short, which I feel is a design flaw.

Check out Knox. They've been refining this type of clothing for a while now:

Lots out there
When it is really hot they are great ....go to armour for the off road and dirt racing crowd with a cool graphic overshirt but I wear with a thin technical shirt under it.
BILT Amped Jacket
Black

Some have better armour than my jackets
The kidney belt section is removable on the one I wear. They break in nicely

Last edited:
Mostly for the fashion imo, but likely better than a tshirt or regular hoodie I guess.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I'm looking for something new, I've got a few jackets that work well across most temperatures but they're all obviously motorcycle jackets.

Looking for something more casual I see a ton of hoodies and plaid style shirts with Armour, and Kevlar in the elbows and shoulders, and spine.
I'm only looking at ones that have Armour as they're are tons that are just reinforced in elbows and likely contact areas.

Any experience? Do they give close or the same protection?
Any I should look into or shy away from?
I have a Resurgence armored hoodie, it's comfortable and I use it around town. Great armor, comfortable -- the hood does catch a bit of wind. No experience when it comes to hitting the ground. I don't think it would be as good as my regular textile jacket at speed, it does stretch more and I'd expect the armor would shift quite a bit.

Check out Knox. They've been refining this type of clothing for a while now:

This, the knox urbane pro is class AA with impact and abrasion resistance comparable to dedicated moto jackets.
Is slim enough to be worn under most hoodies or jackets.

Upgraded armour and jacket both on sale.

This, the knox urbane pro is class AA with impact and abrasion resistance comparable to dedicated moto jackets.
Is slim enough to be worn under most hoodies or jackets.

+1 to that.
I was thinking exactly the same - Knox stuff not as bulky as those motocross armored shirts. The only requirement for Knox Pro I think that one has to be in shape/fit to make it work as intended as a base for loose clothes or to be worn alone.

Upgraded armour and jacket both on sale.

No any sizes available so this sale is over :(

I understand for your intended usage @Evoex , but I do not understand why anyone wants a hoodie on a motorcycle. It just blows around in the wind.

Ooh…will this become a douchevest thread?
Pfft... it has long been know that just a leather vest is the pinnacle of protection.

Moto Gp is testing them for next year. If you have less skin and bones after a crash, it means you go faster because rider weight goes down.

You think hoodies is the latest. Nope. Armored Sweats is the new hot ****. Rev'it's Parabolica

Or if you are a sweats purist and need ribbed cuffs, they have the Spark set https://www.revitsport.com/media/ca...it=bounds&height=700&width=700&canvas=700:700

In all honesty, its nice to be able to wear something that's protective in a fall but is also casual enough that you won't be mistaken for hi-vis uncle. The pricing is bonkers because of the fancy fabrics though.

If the armour has enough room to move around it's not going to do much in a crash
Can't say on the hoodie etc but the mesh on the armored shirt holds the armor very tight in place which is why I said "breaks in".....a ***** to get on when new. I don't push hard anymore and value a certain degree of comfort tho the HWK jacket I'm currently using has such good cooling flow that I have not missed the armored shirt ( besides it's stuck in Canada ). :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom