Thinking of packing it in on the street... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of packing it in on the street...

Priller

Warning: navel gazing ahoy! This is one of those threads where I'm mulling things over out loud. Any and all input appreciated, particularly from those who've dealt with similar issues.

So I've had my Tuono here for almost two years (holy moly, time flies), and I'm finding I'm just not riding it very much. I absolutely love the bike, miles more than anything I've ever owned. It does everything I ask effortlessly: comfort, handling, looks, acceleration, speed, you name it.

The problem is that I ride for cornering, and there just isn't anything worth riding to nearby (Hamilton is not a sportbike mecca!), especially as all the limits nearby have been lowered to a torturous 40-60 km/h. Even at license-losing speeds, it's just not fast enough to be fun. 110 km/h on most of these roads, even the twistier ones, is still 'one hand on the bars and check out the scenery' speed.

I have thought about trading in for something less overpowered, say an RS660, but I genuinely don't think that really solves the problem. Instead of being bored at 4,000 rpm, I'll be bored at 7,000 rpm.

While getting something in the touring/ADV segment is an option, I don't really have much desire to do much distance stuff. Getting anywhere decent in Ontario from here involves either getting through Toronto all the way from one side to the other, or doing lots of dull zigzag backroads to work my way over the top. Doing that twice in a weekend is no fun, and I don't see myself doing longer tours at this point in my life. If I have a week or more off, I'd rather spend it with my wife and family. And before anyone says to move out of Hamilton, we absolutely love it here, especially as a family, and have no desire to live anywhere else.

So what Ontario does have to offer is a decent selection of tracks to scratch my itch. Four tracks (if I'm kind to TMP) are doable in a day, and Calabogie takes a day and a half, needing to get there the night before. I really enjoy Grand Bend, Mosport/CTMP and Shannonville, each bringing a unique challenge.

For now, I'm happy to do track days. Not fussed about lap times, just having fun carving corners and getting a lean on. The Tuono is still massively overpowered for my needs, though, as I really don't care about top speed at the end of the back straight. Part of the reason I bought an RC51 as a track bike is its relatively modest horsepower numbers, likely around 115-120 at the wheel (80+ lb.ft of torque will help drag my fat arse out of hairpins, though).

While all of the above seems straightforward, it's a bit weird to consider not having a street bike, as I've had one for almost my entire adult life. While I don't actually ride much anymore, I still know I can, which feels normal. To get all dramatic, not being able to feels a bit like amputating a limb.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've got my mind made up, but I just need time to be sure it's the right move. Anyone else done something similar? Any regrets doing so, or did it work out in the end?

Thanks for your indulgence...

I was/am mulling getting a supermoto for the street, I think you'll like it

Im also looking at ADV bikes so who the hell knows?
#add 🤷‍♂️

get the Guzzi, Priller
lots of fun within legal limits
and you never know, may take a liking to gravel roads
and poking around cottage country

I got rid of the Capo as it was troublesome
and zero fun to be had at legal speeds
simply amazed I didn't get any tickets or a tow truck with that bike

Dirt? Trials?
Everyone has their reason for riding, or not riding. If you don’t have any motivation to hit the streets, sell the street bike.

If you’re not itching and scratching next April you’ll know you made the right call.

@Priller I feel your pain...I live in Milton and absolutely love it here and no plans on moving until I retire in 2029...I too have found myself riding less this year and thinking of getting rid of my FZ07...I absolutely love my bike, it fits me like a glove, but as you said, it's getting boring riding the same roads all the time...add in the nutcases in cars, lowered speeds and lack of twisties, hubby and I are thinking of getting dual sports instead...we aren't into riding 3 hours away for some fun roads anymore and think that with a dual sport, we could do any road around including dirt side roads which we currently avoid...one part of me says keep the ones we have and just add to the stable, but then my practical side says no (double insurance and lack of space)...I used to do about 7,000 km a season when I started in 2011, this year I've put on about 1,300...do what you think is best and hey, you can always pick up a cheap road bike if you really miss it...stay safe...

Compared to my west Toronto location Hamilton / Dundas etc is dream country. However at legal speeds there are no challenges or adrenaline rushes. When I got back into riding I kept hearing about "Snake Road" and did it on my Sportster and had to check if everyone was referring to a different "Snake Road". Snake, FOTC and Appleby Line might get granny's pulse rate up a bit.

The worst part is the traffic and driver attacks. My preferred riding is the USA as in touring. That has been soured by covid and the yahoo politics.

If I win a zillion dollars I'm going to buy a golf course and create a moto-golf course. Carry your own clubs. No wheelies on the greens.

I got off street 7 years ago, and went track only for 2 years after.

Someone here told me I was gonna miss the chill riding and they were right. With track you're always using a hyper engaged/focused mindset. On the street you can half ass ride, smile at the snow that somehow appears in June, laugh at the ducks crossing the road, and just be chill.

While I don't regret it, I did miss the chill moments. I totally understand the lack of fun roads; I've told Europeans about ramping and they laughed for days and told me about their mountains lol ******* flat ass Ontario.

With the border effectively closed for last season and probably this as well Toronto area riders have pretty limited options. I usually do 2 trips to the U.S. and then 1 or 2 trips in Ontario each season. Aside from these rides the bike usually lives at the cottage in the Kawarthas where roads are half decent and traffic is minimal much of the time so I relatively little to complain about.

The part about a U.S. trip that I really don't like is the 3 - 4 hour ride to the border, the crossing and then getting past Buffalo. The other part is the agonizing last 90 minutes on the way home along the despised QEW. If I could teleport myself from home to the Ellicottville area and back I'd be a happy camper.

So, if you live in the GTA you're pretty much stuck with many hours of transaction time just to get to areas where the roads get better. It is a bummer.

@Priller - if you do decide to get rid of the Tuono, be sure to ask a friend to put you on as a secondary rider (and foot the bill for it too, of course). Even if you never plan riding it… Why? Because this way you won’t have a gap in insurance coverage…
Alternately, buy A stupid cheap bike like a CBR125 and insure it with the absolute minimum coverage you can. Again, avoids the gap in insurance if you decide you want to start back on the street again and not be classified as ”newbie” by insurance.

Ill echo what others have said, the lockdowns and the border closure has made it worse

#add 🤷‍♂️

If you don't need highway usability, supermoto is stupid amounts of fun without even exceeding speed limits. Can throw on some 80/20 tires to do some dirt trails as well.

I bought my supermoto when I had my FZ1 because it was too fast for casual street riding. 1st gear on that thing topped out at 130km/h or so, just not fun on the street without the risk of getting into serious trouble.

#add 🤷‍♂️
Supermoto is an option, but it'll depend on insurance, I think. They really appeal as city bombers, but I just don't do that kind of riding anymore.
get the Guzzi, Priller
lots of fun within legal limits
and you never know, may take a liking to gravel roads
and poking around cottage country
It's up with the Africa Twin as one of the two choices if I decide to go the ADV route. Love the looks, the brand, the size, the whole lot.

Dirt? Trials?
Definitely in my future at some point, especially trials. Would augment the track stuff, for sure. No interest in MX, but trails/enduro and trials strongly appeal. No idea how to go about it locally, though. Do I need to join a club to make the most of trails etc?

If you’re not itching and scratching next April you’ll know you made the right call.
This is an excellent point, and a great litmus test.

@Priller I feel your pain...I live in Milton and absolutely love it here and no plans on moving until I retire in 2029...I too have found myself riding less this year and thinking of getting rid of my FZ07...I absolutely love my bike, it fits me like a glove, but as you said, it's getting boring riding the same roads all the time...add in the nutcases in cars, lowered speeds and lack of twisties, hubby and I are thinking of getting dual sports instead...we aren't into riding 3 hours away for some fun roads anymore and think that with a dual sport, we could do any road around including dirt side roads which we currently avoid...one part of me says keep the ones we have and just add to the stable, but then my practical side says no (double insurance and lack of space)...I used to do about 7,000 km a season when I started in 2011, this year I've put on about 1,300...do what you think is best and hey, you can always pick up a cheap road bike if you really miss it...stay safe...
The nutcases in cars is one of the reasons why I don't commute on a bike anymore, and a huge obstacle to the day-to-day riding I just don't do anymore. I sometimes commute to our office in Mississauga, but it's more frustrating than fun these days. When you add schlepping all the gear etc, it's something I do less and less. I think my mileage this year is under 1000 km total!

Compared to my west Toronto location Hamilton / Dundas etc is dream country. However at legal speeds there are no challenges or adrenaline rushes. When I got back into riding I kept hearing about "Snake Road" and did it on my Sportster and had to check if everyone was referring to a different "Snake Road". Snake, FOTC and Appleby Line might get granny's pulse rate up a bit.

The worst part is the traffic and driver attacks. My preferred riding is the USA as in touring. That has been soured by covid and the yahoo politics.

If I win a zillion dollars I'm going to buy a golf course and create a moto-golf course. Carry your own clubs. No wheelies on the greens.
Having gotten used to some of the better roads in BC (not the best riding in the world, but definitely better than here), it was a real disappointment to hit the old hot spots and discover they were about five corners all told. Add the reduced limits and roadside convictions, and that's the main reason I'm in this conundrum. I got some good Niagara route tips from @theassassin, but the limits are all lowered so far now. I absolutely need to be able to drive for work, as visiting different sites is critical, so I just can't take the risk of a suspension.

Someone here told me I was gonna miss the chill riding and they were right. With track you're always using a hyper engaged/focused mindset. On the street you can half ass ride, smile at the snow that somehow appears in June, laugh at the ducks crossing the road, and just be chill.
Yeah, maybe the @Evoex route of getting a cruiser is another option, but that's not really why I ride, if I'm honest.

With the border effectively closed for last season and probably this as well Toronto area riders have pretty limited options. I usually do 2 trips to the U.S. and then 1 or 2 trips in Ontario each season. Aside from these rides the bike usually lives at the cottage in the Kawarthas where roads are half decent and traffic is minimal much of the time so I relatively little to complain about.

The part about a U.S. trip that I really don't like is the 3 - 4 hour ride to the border, the crossing and then getting past Buffalo. The other part is the agonizing last 90 minutes on the way home along the despised QEW. If I could teleport myself from home to the Ellicottville area and back I'd be a happy camper.

So, if you live in the GTA you're pretty much stuck with many hours of transaction time just to get to areas where the roads get better. It is a bummer.
Trips down to Ohio and Pennsylvania would be great, but I'm not really looking to do longer tours. Maximum length would be Friday evening to Sunday evening, and with that limitation, the 'transaction time', as you call it, starts to become just too high a percentage. Whether it's navigating the GTA or the border, Hamilton isn't a great spot for weekend tours to twisty roads...

@Priller - if you do decide to get rid of the Tuono, be sure to ask a friend to put you on as a secondary rider (and foot the bill for it too, of course). Even if you never plan riding it… Why? Because this way you won’t have a gap in insurance coverage…
Alternately, buy A stupid cheap bike like a CBR125 and insure it with the absolute minimum coverage you can. Again, avoids the gap in insurance if you decide you want to start back on the street again and not be classified as ”newbie” by insurance.
Yeah, part of me gets this, and part of me really resents the way Ontario motorcycle insurance finds a way to squeeze you even if you don't ride. Stopping their overpayment cycle is a huge appeal of getting off the road. It's such a broken system in this province.

Supermoto is an option, but it'll depend on insurance, I think. They really appeal as city bombers, but I just don't do that kind of riding anymore.
I was looking at a klx300sm, at 300lbs wet, with half decent suspension and breaks, it sounds hella fun
Yeah, maybe the @Evoex route of getting a cruiser is another option
the v85 basically fulfills this role, its an italian harley adv bike, that you can chill and cruise on, but can also rip around on and do mild offroad on

I have a better idea - don’t sell the bike. Drop it off at my place. I’ll take care of it till next April. I’ll provide her regular exercise, and a safe place to rest. No charge.

Then decide in April.

I have a better idea - don’t sell the bike. Drop it off at my place. I’ll take care of it till next April. I’ll provide her regular exercise, and a safe place to rest. No charge.

Then decide in April.
but then all the ugly bikes in your garage will get jealous and give you a divorce

I know where you're coming from, especially since you made the opposite move I did, coming from BC to Toronto. I can see how the city congestion, lack of any good riding roads close-by, HTA172 and just general urban asshattery on the streets can quickly kill the joy of riding in the GTA.

I did a fair amount of street riding when I lived in Toronto, but track days and dirt biking really made motorcycles enjoyable. The street riding became mainly a social thing to hang out with other riders at the Timmies or one of the many weekly meets. An all-day ride north or east on the weekends became such a major planning chore since everyone was so spread out and getting out of the GTA became an obstacle course.

Swapping to cruiser is really only viable because that’s more or less the riding I want to move toward.

If you’re in it for the corners then it’s either make the trek to find some or take it to the track.

Only had a street glide out for 10 minutes yesterday but it handled better than I thought it was going to

Back
Top Bottom