Thinking about a Sena bluetooth | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about a Sena bluetooth

I have a Sena SRL2 and no real complaints about it.
I have not used it for rider to rider communication, so I cannot comment on that.
I mainly used it for listening to music via Bluetooth or taking a call from my wife (primary reason why I got it).
But now that I have tried listening to music while riding, I cannot ride without it. (sort of like my ear plugs)
It also has FM radio for music.

It does have voice activated commands for its own features, but can also work with Siri or Google Assist.
You can store up to 3 contacts in the Sena app as your favourites. However if you enable Google Assist than you can pretty much call any number or anyone.

You are welcome to take a look at it and play around with it. It is intergrated into my Shoei helmet, and cannot be velcro-ed to the outside of any other helmet.
Speakers are actually very loud, but because I wear custom molded ear plugs I have to have it at the highest volume setting. At which point it is a comfortable level and not too loud.

Owned both Cardo and Sena‘s. purchased this Sena 50s recently. No regrets. Works great HD Speakers with Bass boost and you can plug in your own ear buds also.
jay

Having the ability to upgrade the speakers to something much better and then just use earplugs is something I could be interested in, if the sound quality was good.

That's what I like most about my Cardo Packtalk - standard headphone plug for the earpieces. I've tried about 3-4 different setups now from the stock speakers to earbuds to my current Shure SE215's which will be my standard for a long time to come.

On the topic of aftermarket intercoms, my experience was that the buttons were not always straightforward, the documentation often sucked, firmware updates non existent, and the audio quality was often too quiet. The system I had was so quiet that it was useless at speeds over 70kph or so...and no, it wasn't the speaker placement. Went to the Cardo's with speakers in the same spot, boom, clear as day on the 401.

Stripped a screw Phoned Sena they sent me 5 for free. I hear some horror stories about Sena, but our group has has no problems at all in 6yrs. Cant speak to the new stuff though.

That reminds me, the holding tab for the unit broke off the base on my Sena, common problem on the first run of 20S'. They sent me a whole mounting kit for free without asking for a receipt.

I have a Sena SRL2 and no real complaints about it.
I have not used it for rider to rider communication, so I cannot comment on that.
I mainly used it for listening to music via Bluetooth or taking a call from my wife (primary reason why I got it).
But now that I have tried listening to music while riding, I cannot ride without it. (sort of like my ear plugs)
It also has FM radio for music.

It does have voice activated commands for its own features, but can also work with Siri or Google Assist.
You can store up to 3 contacts in the Sena app as your favourites. However if you enable Google Assist than you can pretty much call any number or anyone.

You are welcome to take a look at it and play around with it. It is intergrated into my Shoei helmet, and cannot be velcro-ed to the outside of any other helmet.
Speakers are actually very loud, but because I wear custom molded ear plugs I have to have it at the highest volume setting. At which point it is a comfortable level and not too loud.
Thanks - I also have a Shoei GT-Air, but it's the first gen, so the SRL2 won't work with it.

Owned both Cardo and Sena‘s. purchased this Sena 50s recently. No regrets. Works great HD Speakers with Bass boost and you can plug in your own ear buds also.
jay
Thanks that's a nice unit and seems to have everything I was looking for. The quick charge is also a nice touch when stopping for a break. Also has the passthrough charging and ability to add my own earbuds if I choose. Too many choices.

If that 50 is a first gen then be prepared for headaches. The introduction of the 20 was a nightmare.
I can't recall ever running out of battery on the 20 on all day rides.
Happy to lend it Shane - just sitting there.

That's what I like most about my Cardo Packtalk - standard headphone plug for the earpieces. I've tried about 3-4 different setups now from the stock speakers to earbuds to my current Shure SE215's which will be my standard for a long time to come.

On the topic of aftermarket intercoms, my experience was that the buttons were not always straightforward, the documentation often sucked, firmware updates non existent, and the audio quality was often too quiet. The system I had was so quiet that it was useless at speeds over 70kph or so...and no, it wasn't the speaker placement. Went to the Cardo's with speakers in the same spot, boom, clear as day on the 401.
Have you noticed the volume increases about 60kmh automatically? Then quietens down when you drop below it. Probably one of my favourite things.

Also yes, agreed the standard JBL speakers are worlds above what most comms seem to offer, you can also upgrade them to true HD speakers for $80 (comes in a kit).

If that 50 is a first gen then be prepared for headaches. The introduction of the 20 was a nightmare.
I can't recall ever running out of battery on the 20 on all day rides.
Happy to lend it Shane - just sitting there.
Appreciate the offer - many thanks!
Happy to try it out then. If it works for you I’ll grab it before this weekend so I can try it out on Saturday.

Sure ....I'll charge it up and find all the parts ..as mentioned above the 20s had "birthing pangs" and SENA had to resend fixed ones out ending with a plethora of extra parts.
Black mark on SENA as they denied the problem for too long. Then took a while to sort software glitches.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I just bought the Packtalk. I hope I don't regret it.

I really want to wear my GT-Air helmet on an upcoming trip, but I can't get the Shure earphones to fit properly in that helmet without carving grooves in my skull after a few hours of use. So now it's disposable earplugs and the Packtalk. Hopefully it arrives by Monday and I can test it out.

Do you folks that have the Pactalk also pair it with your GPS?
I have Zumo 590, so I was hoping to pair it with that and my iPhone 6s to listen music, see who's calling etc...

Also, anyone want my Scala G9's with speakers that don't work? I figure you replace the speakers and you have 2 nice units. Maybe trade me some chain lube for them or something...

don't want to try the SENA

really surprised you can't get the shures to fit
Yeah, I was fully planning on trying your Sena, but today my wife asked me to wear my better helmet on my trip because it would make her feel a lot better.

The Shures fit great in my RF1100, but the GTAir’s have a different inner shell design that is really snug at the top of my ears and it’s not foam, but the hard shell that presses tight. Since the se215’s are over the ear designs, the cords press super hard against my skull and upper ears. I can deal with it for shorter rides, but nothing over 2hrs.
I’m due for a new helmet next year and will bring my Shure’s with me to make sure the next one better supports the over the ear design.

She wanted to get the same helmet communicator too, so I just bought the dual pack.

Last edited:
Do you folks that have the Pactalk also pair it with your GPS?
I have Zumo 590, so I was hoping to pair it with that and my iPhone 6s to listen music, see who's calling etc...

For what it's worth, I run an iPhone X + Zumo 590/595 + Sena 20S. Not sure if the pactalk can do this better, but the Sena can't activate Siri when connected to the GPS, also audio quality is degraded if passing through the GPS. I have the 20S paired with my iPhone, and iPhone paired with the GPS. Allows me to control my music through the GPS, and activate Siri when I want from the 20S. I lose the phonebook function from the GPS, but Siri takes care of that, albeit sometimes not great.

I’m due for a new helmet next year and will bring my Shure’s with me to make sure the next one better supports the over the ear design.
I found the new cables for the Shure more comfortable than the stock ones but my staff had a really thin pair that I could not feel at all - I had to give them back and he can't recall where he got them. :cry:

Packtalk arrived and all set up - 18hrs from order to delivery.
JBL speakers sound really good in my living room with no earplugs in.
The voice commands are quite responsive too.

Thanks for all the suggestions and input.
Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow on a proper ride!

Packtalk arrived and all set up - 18hrs from order to delivery.
JBL speakers sound really good in my living room with no earplugs in.
The voice commands are quite responsive too.

Thanks for all the suggestions and input.
Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow on a proper ride!
What did you get, bold ? slim ?

i picked up a U-CLEAR in Guelph at the dealer there, never read anything about it, but it seems to be ok so far iv'e owned for a couple of months

Back
Top Bottom