There be Pirates ! | GTAMotorcycle.com

There be Pirates !

We had a 13th for Dover back in March. It was discussed and cancelled. Nobody came. The town of Sturgis had a meeting and vote. Sixty percent voted nay. But they went ahead anyway because people would come anyway and they need the sanitation etc. The town has no balls. Block all the roads and highways and crack some skulls if necessary.

I had to google map where Sturgis was. I had to google map where South Dakota was!
It's a very nice place,
or at least it used to be. I'm resolved to the possibility of never getting to see it again. I'll miss Utah and California a lot more, those are way better travel destinations imho.

We had a 13th for Dover back in March. It was discussed and cancelled. Nobody came.

People came. Just less. The fact it rained in the AM and the high temperature was 8 degrees probably had a lot to do with that....although I don't doubt that Covid concerns also kept a lot of people away, as it rightfully should have.

The town of Sturgis had a meeting and vote. Sixty percent voted nay. But they went ahead anyway because people would come anyway and they need the sanitation etc. The town has no balls. Block all the roads and highways and crack some skulls if necessary.

Where did you hear 60% voted no? Council voted 8 to 1 FOR it.

Make fun of the 'Murican pirates all you want, but what about all the bike meets that happen in Timmies parking lots all over the GTA every week?
:unsure: none of those are sanctioned.

:LOL: those are purely coincidental meetings

People came. Just less. The fact it rained in the AM and the high temperature was 8 degrees probably had a lot to do with that....although I don't doubt that Covid concerns also kept a lot of people away, as it rightfully should have.

Where did you hear 60% voted no? Council voted 8 to 1 FOR it.
Was on the news this morning. CTV i think.

It was an interview with the mayor oof Sturgis. He said the town voted to cancel, but they had no choice because people would come anyway.

It’ll all be fine .

Just buy some “Full Throttle Hand Sanitizer” $15.99 a half gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked webcams. It's raining. Doesn't look like there are a whole lot of people around.

Make fun of the 'Murican pirates all you want, but what about all the bike meets that happen in Timmies parking lots all over the GTA every week?
Well, 30ish people doesn't compare to 250,000ish people...

Checked webcams. It's raining. Doesn't look like there are a whole lot of people around.

Harley's can't get wet, don't you know? They're all securely stowed away in their trailers (which they rode in to actually get to Sturgis) back at the hotel parking lots.

Meanwhile, me on the way home from Sturgis last year on my filthy bike (courtesy of 500km of riding in the rain) after figuring out how to get firewood from the gatehouse back to our campsite. :LOL:

sturgiscamping.jpg

Last edited:
Lot more than 30 people in the that small parking lot at L&L on Thursday nights. Density probably the same as 250K spread out over a large city like Sturgis.
OK, even if there are 200, with 1 infected. They can pass it on to 199 other people. At Sturgess, which goes for over a week with early arrivals and late leavers, 1 person could likely and very easily infect 5,000.
See the difference now?

Here's an excerpt from an article on CMGonline about the rally taking place this year,

"In its defence, the City of Sturgis took its responsibility very seriously and surveyed numerous exhibitors, authorities and potential participants before making the final decision in June to go ahead with the 80-year-old annual rally. A survey of local residents showed 60 per cent wanted the event cancelled, but in the end, money talked – after all, in a good year, the event earns close to $800 million U.S. for the region.

According to the Associated Press, a tourism souvenir wholesaler threatened to sue the city if the event was cancelled. Supporters argued that the Sturgis rally is too big to contain, especially against hundreds of thousands of freedom-loving bikers."

(Opinion: The Sturgis Experiment | Canada Moto Guide)

Yeah, getting up close and personal with a bunch of strangers is just plain stupid no matter where you are, but farting your way up and down the street on your trailer queen, and roaming around afterwards COULD be done with out dropping dead. As long as people are masked and far enough apart they're OK.

At the same time, I don't have much faith that the majority of the people drawn to Sturgis will wear masks etc.

Back
Top Bottom