There are beginner friendly 600cc bikes??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

There are beginner friendly 600cc bikes???

shuhan

First of all this isn't another one of those 'justify my 650cc first bike purchase' threads.

I've been looking around the classifieds for the ninja 250r. But I noticed that on several threads that experienced riders are recommending certain bikes to beginners that are above 250cc...

Are 400cc or 500cc bikes still relatively forgiving bikes for new riders? Are older 600cc bikes more forgiving than more recent 600cc bikes? I've seen the sv650 recommended alongside the ninja 250 and even the classifieds advertise the sv650 as beginner friendly and cheap insurance. This is confusing to me because I read everywhere on the forum that beginners should never go above 250cc.

Why is the sv650 or old 600cc models an exception???

I believe that there is a common belief that the smaller engines & light weight of the 250s contributes to a reduced likelihood of novice riders losing control of the vehicles due to too much power or too much weight for them to handle. Insurance cost is another significant factor.

This is a complex question to answer & much more info is needed to give to point you in the right direction.

There are many factors that contribute to choosing an appropriate entry level motorcycle. Nothing is written in stone.

Sorry to add to the confusion, but I disagree that 250's should be the cap for new riders. It really is primarily about you, and not the bike..

they are the 'exception' in that they are not as high strung as the supersport 600 +bikes, so that you can get away with rookie mistakes like hamfisting the throttle (not nearly as much as a 250 etc) and not do a loop etc or smashing the brakes and doing a faceplant.

It's not uniquely about the engine displacement. When people refer to a 600cc bike it is shorthand for "supersport bike". They are twitchy, sensitive to inputs, have a riding position that can make comfort and control difficult for a beginner while at the same time it goads you to go faster and faster. It takes a lot of discipline and some moderate skill to start off on a supersport, though it can be done.

Cruisers can be better first bikes than supersports, even above 750cc because they are so docile. So, don't fixate on displacement when chosing your first bike. Depending on your skill and maturity, avoid anything too sporty or too heavy or large.

First of all this isn't another one of those 'justify my 650cc first bike purchase' threads.

I've been looking around the classifieds for the ninja 250r. But I noticed that on several threads that experienced riders are recommending certain bikes to beginners that are above 250cc...

Are 400cc or 500cc bikes still relatively forgiving bikes for new riders? Are older 600cc bikes more forgiving than more recent 600cc bikes? I've seen the sv650 recommended alongside the ninja 250 and even the classifieds advertise the sv650 as beginner friendly and cheap insurance. This is confusing to me because I read everywhere on the forum that beginners should never go above 250cc.

Why is the sv650 or old 600cc models an exception???

Old 600 is an exception because of insurance reasons only, Jevco does not surcharge, if I remember correctly, bikes which are 15+ years old or something like that.

650cc, on the other hand, are mostly sport touring bikes. Much cheaper insurance, much softer bikes. SV650 may be a good beginner bike, but that V-twin is very torquey. Parallel twins (fixed), like FZ6, 650R or similar are much softer on acceleration (in my opinion).

500cc bikes (there aren't many out there - GS500/GS500F and Ninja 500R are essentially the only two) are really great beginner bikes. VERY low insurance rates :). I started on GS500F - it is a very forgiving bike, but it also has enough power to make you go very fast on the highway or go through the nice curves and not worry much. Oh yeah, very comfy too (sport touring seating position).

Last edited:
So the 600cc rule really only applies to supersport bikes? what about street/sport bikes like the ninja 400r or 650r? Are those viable options for a new rider? (though obviously still harder than the 250r)
The 400r looks appealing but there aren't any on the used market and a 650r is too intimidating.
I suppose I'll be able to reconsider my options once I've gone through the safety course... May decide not to go the sport route at all...

So the 600cc rule really only applies to supersport bikes? what about street/sport bikes like the ninja 400r or 650r? Are those viable options for a new rider? (though obviously still harder than the 250r)
The 400r looks appealing but there aren't any on the used market and a 650r is too intimidating.
I suppose I'll be able to reconsider my options once I've gone through the safety course... May decide not to go the sport route at all...

Yes, 600cc bikes are generally SS, and carry insurance surcharge of 400%. 400R is a beginner's bike. 650R is a sport touring bike - more comfortable seating position, easier throttle response, softer suspension. I am sure 400R would be a good beginner bike, but if you're feeling confident, go to a demo or go to the dealerships and ask for a test ride. Pick a category from which you want your bike to be. Say, 650cc series sport tourer. If the insurance is acceptable, try the bikes from all four major manufacturers - Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha. Older Yammy FZ6 is considered a nice bike, newer FZ6R is apparently worse, Suzuki has GSF-650F and SV650 (the only V-twin on the list), Kawasaki has 650R, Honda has CBF600 (new bike in their line-up). After trying those bikes, make your decision. Personally, I found SV650 being very torquey; on 650R I didn't feel the engine response on a demo at all. Didn't try the other bikes listed. If you pick 250cc, there are only two bikes in the category - Honda and Kawasaki. 500cc - only Suzuki and Kawasaki. etc etc

So the 600cc rule really only applies to supersport bikes?

It's not really a rule, it's just a manner of speaking. In reality there are some 600cc bikes that are not supersport like the FZ6 (now FZ6R) and CBF600. These are more suitable for beginners in general, but again it always depends on the rider in the end.

My beginner bike (which I still have even today) is a Suzuki Katana 600. Its very comfortable yet powerful. I thought it was a great bike to learn on and yet still not get bored of quickly. My only advice no matter what bike you get is make sure you take your time and get comfortable with it. If you want to get the SS bikes I'm not against it either as long as you are patient in your learning. I have friends that started off with SS and enjoyed it. The only difference is they didn't need to upgrade their bike later on (like others that may start on a 250 and want to step up).

In your first post you seem a little confused: 600s, which are usually 4-cylinder bikes, are what beginners are warned away from. The 650s, which are usually twins, aren't so bad.

the Yamaha FZ6r is something you might want to look into. PS: The FZ6 is still in production; the "r" version has been de-tuned further and comes with full set of fairings. the FZ6 is slightly more powerful and comes 'naked'.

I'm a newbie rider myself (about a month in) and picked up a 600cc '01 CBR F4i. I've found it to be really easy to learn on though the temptation to go fast is really hard to control. At first I considered a 250cc but glad I decided against it, just wouldn't be enough oomph to keep me satisfied I think, especially on the highway. Like these guys are saying, I guess it's different for everyone. I agree there's really no rule on displacement cap for beginners, it all depends on you.

I have the GS500F, awesome beginer bike. Not scary at all after doing my course. My friends have recently just started riding... One has a SV650 the other a Ninja 650. I got to try both out at slow speeds(parking lot and side streets). What I found is the Ninja was very forgiving, felt as comfortable on it as I did on my GS500F. The SV650 on the other hand feels like it's more powerful and you have to be really careful with the throttle. It was explained to me afterwards that it has to do with the engine on the SV and that there is more torque on it than the Ninja.

You don't have to start on a 250. I actually liked riding my friends from the shop to her house. Didn't go on the highway though to see what it's like. My recomondations as a newb and having tried these other bikes is to go with the GS500F or a 650 Ninja. They arn't scary power wise and still good on the highway. The SV650 is an excellent beginer bike if you have the patience and not intimidated. I wouldn't have wanted to start on it after being on the GS500F first.

I almost got a 600 cc bike first.

Ended up with a GS500F. No regrets.

I'm a newbie rider myself (about a month in) and picked up a 600cc '01 CBR F4i. I've found it to be really easy to learn on though the temptation to go fast is really hard to control. At first I considered a 250cc but glad I decided against it, just wouldn't be enough oomph to keep me satisfied I think, especially on the highway. Like these guys are saying, I guess it's different for everyone. I agree there's really no rule on displacement cap for beginners, it all depends on you.

So you haven't tried 250, but you already don't like it? Very informative suggestion.

One of many smaller reasons someone will suggest not a 600cc SS is the cost of repair. many new riders drop their first bike (or in the case of myself, had the kickstand melt through asphalt on a hot summer day). accidents happen and it's not fun to have a $4000 repair bill for some plastic. no joke, an older bike, or cheaper starter bike, won't have such an outrageous bill attached to it.

as for power, I may end up on the ninja 500 for a 3rd season so that summarizes my opinion on the matter (and not from cash flow issues in the least). there's more to riding than going very fast. it's about how nimble it feels under you, and the joy of open road and freedom. I sometimes wonder about the people that have to beat every car on the road and.. well, what their issue is and why they feel the need to prove themselves. there are far better ways to prove your value in life than how fast the object you paid for goes. a fast bike says nothing of how fast you can run, how much you can lift, how many people will show up at your funeral... but to each their own I guess.

the GF just got a ruckus scooter, and it tops out at 60km/h. and you know what? it's fun as %^$*! the speed doesn't matter.

if the bike is boring the rider must not be creative, there's more to do than 'go fast'. but this argument comes up endlessly. 400cc, 600cc, or 650cc, either way you'll be happy, becuase you're on 2 wheels.

If you pick 250cc, there are only two bikes in the category - Honda and Kawasaki. 500cc - only Suzuki and Kawasaki. etc etc

Hysoung 250 is a FI bike with some nice shape. Only know one person who owns one though and haven't gotten around to asking him how its been.

600cc is definitely a lot bigger and heavier than a 250cc. However that was the only real big thing that I felt made it any more difficult to learn on. Weird thing about throttle control and the flip side: If you learned on a 600cc like myself and learned how to be very gentle with the throttle and keep a steady hand, would that not make you a better rider if you ever hopped onto a 250? Conversely riding a 250 for along time and then hopping on a 600 wouldn't you be inclined to throttle harder? Just food for thought. I think if you have a good head on your shoulders you'd learn just as well. I ride slower on my bike than I do in my car lol...I guess riding is just more fun, speed aside so I can enjoy. The car is just "i need to get there and i like being efficient with my time" so I speed.

I do like putting around on the 125 though. I love just picking it up and moving it out of the way when making space in the garage!

Ride what you want. Just ride within your limits. Put the opinions - he said she said - to and end.Just be careful of the power from 600/1000 />1000 supersport. Have fun riding!

Back
Top Bottom