The first $100 oil change. | GTAMotorcycle.com

The first $100 oil change.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Doing some preemptive work for the upcoming season on the new ride today - also drawing out an oil sample to send to Blackstone just to get some insight.

Holy hell Rotella T6 is getting expensive. Yeah, I'm using the good stuff all around (full syn and a Mobil 1 filter, the only other filter aside from Wix I'll use), but wow.

I'm wondering how much a *dealer* is charging for a full synthetic oil change with a high end filter now.

1706381453626.jpeg

Retail price for a 5 litre jug of Motul 7100 is near $100 now. I think Liquimoly is about the same price as what you're paying for Rotella ...

I've switched over to Castrol Edge 5w50, also available at Canadian Tire, and buying a jug in advance whenever I spot it on sale. No, it isn't JASO MA, but I used it all last year, including in my race bike, and nothing bad happened.

I have a warranty to be concerned about again so I wanted to make sure I went with a Jaso-MA oil so that, knock on wood, if anything happens down the road there is no debate about the oil situation.

I've ran nothing but Rotella for the last 150,000-ish kilometres across my last few bikes and it's served me well, so stick with it I guess. Can't imagine Yamahas (inferior) oil is any cheaper in the end either.

Retail price for a 5 litre jug of Motul 7100 is near $100 now. I think Liquimoly is about the same price as what you're paying for Rotella ...

I've switched over to Castrol Edge 5w50, also available at Canadian Tire, and buying a jug in advance whenever I spot it on sale. No, it isn't JASO MA, but I used it all last year, including in my race bike, and nothing bad happened.
5W50? Costco has a bunch of Castol edge but not 5W50. 15 Litres of 5W40 Edge is 140 delivered. Not sure what they have in store nor the price.

Makes me really miss the days when you could find a 4L jug of Mobil 1 MX4T on the shelf at CT. And it was cheap!!!

Found a Wix filter on the bike when I pulled it off. The previous owner cared, and quite likely did his own maintenance, as a Wix wouldn't be standard shop fare I wouldn't think. A great find, I'm super happy to not find a cheap Fram on there or something.

The oil was pretty clean but seemed like it might have a high moisture content however, seemed milky. I suspect a lot of short run times & incomplete heat cycles while it was at the dealership for 6-7 months, not surprising.

But I could very well be wrong, maybe it's just a particular type of oil and not moisture at all. The Blackstone report will tell the tail in the end when it comes back. I'll follow up for sure with the results.

If it is moisture, well, this is why I am a big proponent of the "don't start it unless you're going to ride it" (and get it up to operating temperature and burn out all the moisture) mantra at the best of times, especially in the off-season.

GP Bikes has a 4l jug of 10w-40 Liquid Moly fully synthetic for $50. 5w-40 is $48.

Seems like a good deal to me.

GP Bikes has a 4l jug of 10w-40 Liquid Moly fully synthetic for $50. 5w-40 is $48.

Seems like a good deal to me.

The new ride needs 5.5L, so the 5L jugs of Rotella worked well along with some I had around from my last Kawi change. I put a slightly longer than stock filter on it as well (extra filter media is always a good thing) so a bit extra needed there as well.

The new ride needs 5.5L, so the 5L jugs of Rotella worked well along with some I had around from my last Kawi change. I put a slightly longer than stock filter on it as well (extra filter media is always a good thing) so a bit extra needed there as well.
I'm fine with running HiFlo oil filters as a second choice when I can't get a WIX. Something to look into. It's what I'll be running on the new 1290.

Wix filter?? I would just be glad it had a filter and was assembled correctly. First oil change on my KLR I found out the bypass tube had been tossed with the (last?) filter.

Doing some preemptive work for the upcoming season on the new ride today - also drawing out an oil sample to send to Blackstone just to get some insight.

Holy hell Rotella T6 is getting expensive. Yeah, I'm using the good stuff all around (full syn and a Mobil 1 filter, the only other filter aside from Wix I'll use), but wow.

I'm wondering how much a *dealer* is charging for a full synthetic oil change with a high end filter now.

View attachment 65779
Ouch. T6 is always $55 on Amazon

I have 2 pails left, in the fall Walmart often has a 40% off sail on pails. I bought a few pails for $99 in 2020.

Thanks, will keep it in mind for my next oil change in 6000km.

I had a bad experience ordering liquid online long ago however, so it's honestly not something I've remotely considered doing since, but apparently need to reconsider. No issues with punctured or squished bottles or anything?

I typically order my Wix filters from Amazon so it'll go together nicely next time.

Today's oil change wasn't really planned however - I wanted to draw out some oil for my Blackstone test and kind of figured at that point I might as well do an oil change so I took off for Canadian Tire and the rest is history.

The colour of the oil suggests it wasn't that old, but I've no idea what kind of oil was in it, how long it's been in there, synthetic or not, etc etc etc....so I always like to start a new ownership experience with a baseline of my own.

I thought (wrongly I guess) that the dealer would have by default, done an oil change before delivery to customer on a used bike.
Normally no. It is "used". Replace the minimum amount possible to get it certified. If it needs brakes, pad slap and go. Fluids rarely get touched, maybe a top up if you're lucky. Bringing maintenance up to date crushes the profit margin. You're lucky if they fill the gas tank (on a funny note, the Mach E that @mimico_polak posted about comes with a complimentary "full tank of gas").

I thought (wrongly I guess) that the dealer would have by default, done an oil change before delivery to customer on a used bike.
They don’t. Can’t remember which used car I bought and then checked the oil at home…the service interval was reset, but the oil was dark as hell.

I didn’t bother as I just did it myself, but never went back to the dealer.

Back
Top Bottom