The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 160 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
This reminds me of a little safety thought. Decades ago a train hit a stalled TTC bus in Scarborough. The bus was evacuated before the train hit but one person got hit by the spinning bus and was killed.

I was discussing it with a friend and he commented "I wonder if the train really tried to stop." What he meant was the engineer saw the bus on the tracks but thought it would move so he didn't hit the brakes until it was too late, not that trains are easy to stop.

More than once I've assumed an obstacle on the road would clear itself and then had to slam on the brakes because I made the wrong assumption.
In this case, apparently cp had been contacted and the train was slowing down but was unable to stop. That doesnt seem like the whole story though as that train did not seem to have the brakes on emergency.

I was shocked at how close all the other vehicles were to the crossing. It is pretty obvious what may happen. I know many rail employees that stop ~100' back from a lowered crossing gate as they have seen enough derailments, they dont want to be in one.

FullMotoJacket

Site Supporter
I know many rail employees that stop ~100' back from a lowered crossing gate as they have seen enough derailments, they dont want to be in one.
Worked with a retired fireman who did the same thing.

Trials

Worked with a retired fireman who did the same thing.
Same here, long time ago I seen a train car with a crane hanging out one side, it took out a steel bridge right next to 401 near Oshawa. Trains can't stop fast and even when they do bad things can happen.

Lyndsay

Site Supporter
I used to work for CN Signals, and you don't turn your back when a train's going by. You never know what might be hanging off. A loose piece of strapping will take a head off pretty quick. And yes, depending on the load, it can take a couple of miles to bring a train to a stop. That train was going slow; you can tell by the way the vehicle was moved along the track at first, rather than being tossed into the air. L

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Came down to Toronto the last couple of weekends. I can't believe it, but in general your driving has actually gotten worse. Don't you know what "snow" is? or how to drive in it? Came back and we've all gotten worse as well. What's with pickup trucks now? Do they actually charge an arm and a leg for them, or maybe an arm and an eye? Guy this morning apexed a 60 kph one lane each way hairpin corner entirely in the other side's lane, because there was a little snow near the edge of ours.

Mad Mike

Came down to Toronto the last couple of weekends. I can't believe it, but in general your driving has actually gotten worse. Don't you know what "snow" is? or how to drive in it? Came back and we've all gotten worse as well. What's with pickup trucks now? Do they actually charge an arm and a leg for them, or maybe an arm and an eye? Guy this morning apexed a 60 kph one lane each way hairpin corner entirely in the other side's lane, because there was a little snow near the edge of ours.
Why do you think it's called "GTA"?

Rob MacLennan

Site Supporter
Wait until you encounter the pickup drivers who think that they're driving a Fiat Spider.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
smh. With idiocy this blatant, why can't they convict on careless driving? This wasn't a minor oversight. This person decided to go driving with no view to the front and it looks like not even at attempt to fix it. They got an $85 ticket while driving a $30,000+ vehicle. Whoopeee. Fines really haven't kept up in any useful manner. The fine should hurt and make you reconsider your actions, not be less than your weekly starbucks budget.

Last edited:

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
Where should I park my Corolla while I go fishing on Simcoe? I know, on the ice! facepalm. That was an expensive day of fishing. Afaik, insurance won't cover you for this so the tow back to Toronto and new car is entirely on their dime.

Top Bottom