Temporary License Plate, DriveTest, and Safety Inspection? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Temporary License Plate, DriveTest, and Safety Inspection?

gyroheli

I have purchased a bike recently, I was planning on using it for a practical drivetest test, but it is missing the front fender. Now the part is backordered for a few months so I won't be able to have it for this season probably. Would a motorcycle pass a safety inspection without it's front fender? It is just made of plastic and doesn't seem to be used for any structural support or preventing the forks from twisting. It does have two rotors though, so there is a brake line going over the tire.

If not, then there's the situation with temporary license plate. From the ontario website:

the vehicle permit indicating that the vehicle’s status is "FIT" or “TMP”

Which means, if I transfer the bike into my name and I don't get a temporary plate right away it will indicate "unfit". Then I won't be able to get a temporary license plate at all. Where if I do, then it will be "TMP" and I can get a second one next year when I have the fender to get it safetied (if I can't safety it without the fender).

The problem is I have the drivetest test that is further than 10 days away from now. It shouldn't be a big deal if I wait til I do the transfer so I can get a temporary plate right? Even though this all just seems backwards to me, it's not like the state of the bike changes just cause I transfer ownership. And it sounds like if I wanted to keep the bike in a temporary state, I could leave it sitting for 10 years then get a temporary plate then again. As long as I had originally gotten a temporary plate when I transferred the bike into my name as the ownership would still read "TMP".

Anyways before I go through with all of that. Would drivetest even accept a vehicle with a temporary license? Would they also not do the test if it is missing the front fender?

Also if I do a safety with a shop, and they tell me I need the front fender and I have them do the work but it takes a few months for the part to come in. Would I have to pay that shop to safety my bike again when the part does finally come in? As it would be over the 36 days (next year probably as I wouldn't be able to safety in the winter) from the time it was originally safetied? I don't imagine they'd want to store my bike there for the whole winter while they wait for the part.

Some of these laws just don't make sense, it feels like the people that made these laws didn't know what they were doing or have eever had to actually use them.

"Would a motorcycle pass a safety inspection without it's front fender?" The simple answer to that is no.
The guidelines the mechanic is to follow during the certification inspection clearly says all of the fenders and guards must be intact.

What model bike do you have, there are scrap motorcycle dealers in Ontario that are almost certain to have one in stock, at a fraction of the cost.

"feels like the people that made these laws didn't know what they were doing or have eever had to actually use them."
That's very much how I feel about people riding with no front fenders, they must not ride very much to not know any better.

1) Find a fender and put it on.
2) Make certain the rest of the bike will pass a certificate, even if you don't want one right now.
3) Get insurance.
4) Transfer ownership and get a temporary plate immediately prior to your test (within the 10 day window).
5) Take your test, hopefully pass then plan your next move.

What scrap yards do you suggestion? I was trying to find one but everything I could find had dated information. It's a Yamaha FZ6R.

What scrap yards do you suggestion? I was trying to find one but everything I could find had dated information. It's a Yamaha FZ6R.
I use Woody's near Perth,
but I don't live all that far from Perth, there must still be others,
was one in Peterborough, I think that one moved or rusted away,
there was a store front operation on Kingston Road, also likely gone by now.
Other riders must know of places.

... Woody has a huge inventory of front fenders,
I would be amazed if he did not have something that would fit on there nicely, if not the exact fender.

Oshawa Cycle Salvage, NCK Cycle, Woody's (in Perth) - that's what Google is for.

the drive test evaluator may have an issue with temp reg, may not
an expired one? probably...thread here not along ago by a member denied his test, as sticker had expired

it is not likely that a bike will pass a real safety with no front fender
where the bike was designed to have one
you may be able to buy a desk safety and no one will care if it has a fender or not

you can roll the dice and get the temp reg and hope it's not a problem with drive test
but I'm guessing that's not gonna work out for you

this is not the laws of Ontario conspiring against you
you have organized this problem for yourself
by booking a test before you had a vehicle to take it on

an expired one? probably...thread here not along ago by a member denied his test, as sticker had expired

it is not likely that a bike will pass a real safety with no front fender
where the bike was designed to have one
you may be able to buy a desk safety and no one will care if it has a fender or not

you can roll the dice and get the temp reg and hope it's not a problem with drive test
but I'm guessing that's not gonna work out for you

rent a bike for ~100,150.

They won't have a problem with temporary everything so long as the bike is "legally allowed to operate on the road and is insured", which it will be.

And OP, no, it won't pass with no fender. Don't waste your time.

I had a bike, drivetest was just closed all summer. Covid-19 isn't of my own creation :).

Get a fender. Why tempt fate? Get to the drive test center, and the examiner insists the bike have one, or it can't be used. Not like you can go the person in the next spot and ask to "borrow" their bike. You may very well be the only bike scheduled around the time.

• Haha
Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom