Team Names | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Team Names

Chicago Blackhawks or Atlanta Braves as examples in name only I think are potentially positive (debate could be was it intended to be?) and not derogatory, other aspects may be bad (symbols, crowd chants, etc.). Maybe with some modification of other aspects these names can be a very positive image and a history teaching tool. But maybe if I was a Sauk I may not like them using the name Blackhawk, or maybe I would.... that I obviosuly cannot know on my own as I am not Sauk. The voice and opinion of the people "targeted" (for lack of a better term) is an important part of the debate.

I am actually curious what natives think of those names. On the surface, calling your team blackhawks and braves may seem benign. But they are still names of tribes that were conquored by the white man, and now the white man is using those names to sell sports.

Personally, although I am from North America, I wouldn't want to be called an American. People south of here think differently.

go with animals, they can't sue for rights to anything.
Go Edmonton Dinosaurs Go

Derogatory terms become pejorative through usage and intention.

We met a Japanese couple in our travels (outside of Japan). When we talked about our experiences as "gaijin" in their country, they both gasped at the word.

Foreigners have embraced the term and think nothing of using it when referring to themselves. But when a Japanese person says "gaijin", it takes on a different meaning because it emphasizes the "otherness", someone who doesn't belong and is slightly xenophobic. The more polite term they use is gaikokujin, "person from a country that is not Japan".

But gaikokujin has too many syllables, and gaijin are lazy, so...

Lemur

Go LEmurs
great riding music too

Last edited:
gringo

have had that thrown at me in the street in many places
sometimes it's derogatory, sometimes not

funny enough in Mexico, Canadians are not gringos
but that was when I was working in Chihuahua
never could stop snickering over the name of that place

but seriously it's time to retire the old race-based names of sports franchises

Pick an E animal so you don't need to update much. Elephant, Emu, Eagle, Elk, Egret, etc.
Or make a superbold statement... Edmonton Kneelers, Edmonton BLMs, Edmonton PCF (politically correct footballers).

I gress it's time for everyone with a brand to rethink history and the future.

I wonder if Coke is hurtful to recovered coke-heads?

Or make a superbold statement... Edmonton Kneelers, Edmonton BLMs, Edmonton PCF (politically correct footballers).

I gress it's time for everyone with a brand to rethink history and the future.

I wonder if Coke is hurtful to recovered coke-heads?

What's a Redblack? Is a Blue Bomber too violent? Is Canuck too slangy?

Just rename ALL CFL teams the "Roughriders".
Problem solved.

Edmonton eagles sounds like a good choice

The Philadelphia Eagles may not allow it. They are both football teams it will come down to trademark rights. There have been many cases in the past where a US (or other) based pro team prevented a name from being used in another similar league. Cases have gone both ways and then you also need to decide do you want to spend the money in court... They may be asking Philly as we speak.

Eagles may be considered generic enough, or maybe not...

Back
Top Bottom