Tattoo questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tattoo questions

braveheart

Banned
Site Supporter
is it proper etiquette to tip a tattoo artist ?

i can see tipping a waiter, or hairdresser, or these types of jobs, but i just dont know about a tattoo artist.

Anyone ?

if you like the work....yes! depending where it is, etc, 15-20%

If u like the work and plan on returning to the same establishment a tip (and a decent one) is encouraged. The amount can be from 15% (simple design and location) more if they took the time to design or alter your image.

Most artists only get a portion of the proceeds and rely on tips to round out their pay

Honestly Me personally (only got 2 tattoos) i tipped the guy first time 10$ it was a 220$ tattoo , and second time it cost 480$ i gave him 500$, hey your trusting someone with a needle and ink going on your skin ,if they dont make a smiley face looke like a square you better tip them :D

I always tip the tattoo artist...I only have small tattoos (cost about $120-140 each) and give $20 tip...though maybe now I'm thinking I should have given more?...

absolutely...i've tipped on evey one and i have 5 of them...they treat you better when you go back for work...

i kinda figured that most shops are small and usually tattooists are self employed..

guess i was wrong.

I get all mine done in my cousins basement o_O lol I buy my tattoo artist alcohol and stuff... She does awesome work so I don't go cheap. Lol

- Randy

Depends on the establishment.
The one I go to has won tons of international awards and competitions. They used to largely be pay the artist his requested amount, and they forward a portion to the company. Usually 75% artist, 25% company.
Now, they're all on the books - guess they got audited and were warned by revenue Canada (bastards).
Tip 15% if they do good work.. Excellent work is 20%.

[video=youtube;B6MCjCRmT_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6MCjCRmT_8[/video]

So I guess one place that did shoddy work for me- and I didn't tip - I shouldn't go back to for the free 6 month touch up??? 0.o

Definitely not... If they can't do it correctly the first time... Pay to have it touched up somewhere else or risk having it get more ******.

- Randy

Definitely not... If they can't do it correctly the first time... Pay to have it touched up somewhere else or risk having it get more ****ed.

- Randy

I don't think that's necessarily true.. I heard they give touch ups because as the skin scabs and heals some of the pigment can come out during the scabbing/healing process..that doesn't really have anything to do with the artist being bad. I don't know that's just what I was told.

^^^ I agree. Plus it all depends on skin colour/pigment. It's not like they completely screwed up the tat, it might be due to scabbing that the colour didn't fill in like it was suppose to.
But I didn't tip, so now I'm thinking he'll remember & totally eff it up now :s

I have had 7... I say had bc I only have 6 showing (one was a coverup) it is true that depending where the Tat was placed, or how much you scratched during healing that a touch up may be needed and the original artist will usually do it no charge. I've only had one that needed to be touched up.
If you didn't tip the first time, it's unlikely they will remember but here's your chance to show your appreciation.
I frequent way cool in oakville for all my tattooing/ piercing needs. Great group and each artist has a specialty.

Oops. Apparently I forgot my most recent ink. I have 7 showing. Soon to be 8 lol

I tipped the tattoo artist's niece on the 2nd last tat I got. That tattoo artist refuses to do anymore tat's for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom