Tarion Warranty Claims | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tarion Warranty Claims

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
Interested in hearing from anyone been through the process and how successful they were getting their claims addressed or have any tips. We have some work and repairs that still need to be addressed on our new build and although our builder says he will get them done he's certainly taking his time so just doing some Tarion research in case it goes down that road.

No personal experience, but based on their reputation it’ll be an uphill battle.

Really try for an amicable solution with the builder, once you go down the Tarion rabbit hole you'll get an eventual solution, but your relationship with the builder will be closed.

From what I've heard, different defects have different coverages. My gut feelings follow the thoughts expressed by katatonic and crankcall.

It's not surprising that its taking a long time to clear deficiencies as all trades seem to be busy. When I was busy with backlogs I at least let people know where they were on the list. That doesn't mean much if too many squeaky wheels manipulate the numbers.

I have been involved at the edge of some Tarion claims (working for builders, consultants, condo boards and others).

Good builders want to fix things without a formal claim being registered as the headache exceeds the short-term costs to rectify. Some homeowners are not reasonable. Some builders are not reasonable. Some consultants working for the condo board inflate the list as a negotiating tactic. Tarion doesn't really care. If they get an expert opinion that there is a warrantable defect (and sometimes there are multiple opinions recruited by the parties involved with Tarion normally following the majority opinion), they give the builder a chance to repair and prove fixed and if that doesn't happen in a timely manner, then they go in and do it.

In my experience, they are not vindictive and they won't push for better, they just have a list of defects and if you have some on that list, they need them fixed (typically repaired to the minimum standard required by OBC).

Timely manner is also a point of contention. Home owners want things done asap, some Tarion issues take years to resolve. Homeowners get frustrated with the pace.

If your issue is important to you, but not on the list of warrantable claims for Tarion, it is often just crossed off and it is up to you and your builder to come up with an equitable resolution (which is another reason going with the nuclear option of filing with Tarion is best left until all other avenues have been exhausted).

Builders obviously have more experience and some play the game of stringing you along so you miss important Tarion dates and then your claim is dead if you do choose to file later. It is good to be informed and imo it is a good tactic to know the required Tarion filing dates and use those to keep your builder on track (eg. For identified defects xxx and yyy, if not resolved by the May 15, 2021 filing date required by Tarion, I will need to file to ensure that they are covered and repaired).

So the above post is spot on.

I will add that the builder will always push as far as possible hoping that you will get fed up and they don't have to fix things.

This is also, imho, one of those "pick your battles" situations:
Cracked counter? Cabinets not square? Cracks in the foundation?
Hound them.

Missed paint?
Bad taping job?

Let it go and do it yourself.
They throw the WSIB/ ready to retire guy on it....a jack of all trades, if you will, and the "repair" is usually worse than what you started with.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom