Tankless hot water heater | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tankless hot water heater

Installed one in my Dad's house when I installed his Bosch tankless. It's only connected to the hot supply, as he drinks his water and uses it for his lawns and gardens. No issues.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I saw the contracts over the weekend and he's cancelling the softener one in writing. He is stuck with the heater. After reviewing the contracts I am in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not generally in favour of more nanny state laws but when I see the complaints against the company involved it appears that some people need more protection than what is already on the books.

My friend survives quite well in spite of a learning disability but obviously got caught on this. Many seniors are trusting and therefore vulnerable. ESL home owners are also susceptible.

One on line complaint was from a person who questioned the situation in case they sold the house and was verbally told it wasn't a problem. When they went to sell they had to buy out the contract ($5 figures) and there was a lien on the house to make sure it happened.

FWIW Make sure any vulnerable people in your circle are aware of these legal but questionable deals.

We went through this a couple years ago with an older family member.
It got pretty nasty, involved lawyers, threats, police called, etc.. but in the end.. equipment was removed by us and not a cent paid to the company.
The cost of the lawyers and having things put back to the way it was beforehand was more than the buyout, but it was the principal.

Even the less scammy water heater rentals are a racket. Enercare wants $1300 to buy out a five year old gas rental tank. During that period, the rental price has increased by almost 25%. Enercare eliminated the possibility of returning the tank in 2012 or so. Your three choices now are continue to pay in perpetuity, buyout at their crazy price, or wait until it is leaking and then you can get out for free. I told them to process the buyout and they offered me 3 months free rental. I told them no, process the buyout and they offered 6 months free rental. I took that and will buyout in October.

i am so glad i left this scam company years ago. BTW, When I dropped off the tank to the authorized enercare depot, I asked for a copy of the return receipt. The company rep asked why, it is owned by enercare.

I said give me a copy that i returned your water heater in writing.

Sure enough, they tried to bill me for months and I had to repeatedly fax that i returned their water heater. This type of business practice should be abolished.

BB

Even the less scammy water heater rentals are a racket. Enercare wants $1300 to buy out a five year old gas rental tank. During that period, the rental price has increased by almost 25%. Enercare eliminated the possibility of returning the tank in 2012 or so. Your three choices now are continue to pay in perpetuity, buyout at their crazy price, or wait until it is leaking and then you can get out for free. I told them to process the buyout and they offered me 3 months free rental. I told them no, process the buyout and they offered 6 months free rental. I took that and will buyout in October.

We have a rental high efficiency gas tank at about $33 a month. I want to confirm our buy out with an aim to an electric tank I can buy and install myself. It should pay for itself in a few years and it frees up a bit of shop space while making the runs to the points of use shorter. There are only two of us in the house.

My buddy will have to choke on the cancellation costs the way I read the contact or over the 15 years he will be saying goodbye to over $16K. If he went with their softener he would be close to $28K. Plus HST

We have a rental high efficiency gas tank at about $33 a month. I want to confirm our buy out with an aim to an electric tank I can buy and install myself. It should pay for itself in a few years and it frees up a bit of shop space while making the runs to the points of use shorter. There are only two of us in the house.

My buddy will have to choke on the cancellation costs the way I read the contact or over the 15 years he will be saying goodbye to over $16K. If he went with their softener he would be close to $28K. Plus HST
With a bit of googlefu, you can figure out what you buyout cost should be. You need to find the enercare contract from the year you signed up for the tank. That contract has the buyout table that is tied to your tank. The price drops by ~$80 yearly on the anniversary date. I called on the anniversary of the tank install and they said that the contract date didn't start until two months after that. So sketchy. So they didn't make payments for two months at the beginning? I don't see that happening.

Even worse are poor sods buying a brand new house , that comes with new water heater and furnace /ac all installed by a rental company.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Even worse are poor sods buying a brand new house , that comes with new water heater and furnace /ac all installed by a rental company.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Add drain heat recovery device to that list now as well. It is popping up more often and carries the same financial hell as your list.

That sounds like a good plan. Many of the houses we looked at were big houses where the kids had moved out and the owners had recently put in 40 gallon rental tanks. What the bleeping &%&*%*&. You have multiple 100 gallon bathtubs and multiple showers and you have locked future buyers into paying for this entirely inadequate tank. Gah. People need to think. I mentally took 10K off the price of those houses as I knew I was going to have to deal with Enercare and I hate them. Even worse than buying out your tank is paying thousands to buy out your tank so you can then throw it in the garbage and spend another $1500 to get a properly sized tank. The real estate agents helpful plan was "just call Enercare and they will swap you to a bigger tank for free". Go *(&(*& yourself. Signing up for a five figure contract is not free.

I never thought about the new house traps and if a good lawyer would pick up the stench. It would be easy to assume that a rental tank on the new house one is looking at is the same as the one they're used to.

when your looking at the new house, the lawyer (yours) may say 'hey, this is a RENTAL' , but the pitch from xxx developer sales lady was, it reduces the cost of the house by the price of a furnace/ac/heat recovery/softener/ HW tank. Holy crap look how much your saving!!!! and you live worry free since its not your stuff!! you call and we come fix it the next morning.
And when your looking at 25K less on the mortgage, and it doesnt appear on your monthly expenses, since its not your expenses yet..... one born every minute

Back
Top Bottom