Tail light problems | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tail light problems

W8INLINE

I have a 2011 ninja 250, and ordered a tail light from Custom LED. Everything works until I try to bypass the factory rear signal lights and use the build in signals customled has. What happens then is the front factory signal light stays on constantly and only the rear built in led flashes. The only way I can have it work is by having the factories and th aftermarket flasers connected.

Anyone else on the forum have these lights? Maybe you have gone through this and could help me fix it?

Thanks

PS. these are the lights btw http://www.customled.com/products/i...nja_250r.htm?gclid=CKDX1_Hr36oCFcPBKgodl0mo-g

Yup, common challenge with LEDs.
The LED unit flashes because it has a "sure flash" function built in to overcome the no-flash problem, but this does nothing for your front signal.
The flasher is sensing a bulb out because there is not enough load with the LED flasher. Add a load resistor or replace the flasher with a 3 wire electronic unit.

(you do know that your LED tail light is not legal for the street)

The LED unit flashes because it has a "sure flash" function built in to overcome the no-flash problem, but this does nothing for your front signal.
The flasher is sensing a bulb out because there is not enough load with the LED flasher. Add a load resistor or replace the flasher with a 3 wire electronic unit.

Thanks for the reply... as for them not being legal I had no idea. I see more bikes with integrated rear signals than what comes stock so I never thought much of it especially since the brakelight is much much brighter and the signals are just as noticable. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I will look into it.

There's probably little chance you'll get pulled over for the tail light. But I have known people to collect a few extra tickets (license plate location, license plate light, tail light, head light HID ... ) when they were pulled over for speeding. You will most likely will find a disclaimer somewhere on the paperwork that came with you tail light that it is "for show purposes only" or words to that effect. What you likely won't find is a certificate of conformation.

Your problem is lack of resistance, you need to add resistors or get a different flasher relay...The easy way is to just add in some resistors...

Led's dont have as much resistance as a standard dual filament bulb, so when you remove the OEM blubs from the system it lacks the amount of resistance needed to make them flash with your current flasher relay...

On the site you posted where you bought it, it says in the description

Recommended accessories: ELFR-1 Flasher Relay & Blaster-X Control Switch.

The first one is an adjustable flasher relay and would fix your problem, or the cheap and easy is some $2 resistors added inline.

Last edited:
So what would be the best way to figure out the size of resistor I need? Take out one of the factory bulbs and measure rsistance with a multimeter? ~~~~ sorry for my newbieness in the matter!!!

So what would be the best way to figure out the size of resistor I need? Take out one of the factory bulbs and measure rsistance with a multimeter? ~~~~ sorry for my newbieness in the matter!!!

If your good with math and a multi meter Im sure you could calculate that..Me I just get some 3 and 6 ohm resistors and add them and see what kind of flash rate I get...And use the ones that get me the best flash rate...

Generally if your removing 2 OEM blubs from the system you need 6-8ohm
If your removing 4 OEM blubs from the system 3-4 ohm

It's that distance thing with 'integrated' brake and signal lights, Mike. You know the one. Where the signal lights have to be separated by a certain amt of inches?

I am aware of a reg. that specifies this.... but it's my understanding that it's not enforced by traffic cops.
Hell, the use of signals isn't even strictly required by the the HTA to begin with, and therefore just about never enforced.

To calculate the correct resistor - just need to know what the OEM bulb was.

Do not measure the bulb resistance - it will be wrong anyway as the filament resistance changes greatly with heat. Just need to know the type of bulb - common specs are avail online.

For example - if your OEM bulbs were 1156 bulbs - they are typically 26 watts... 26 watts at 12 volts is 5.5 Ohms per bulb.
If your stock bulbs were 921's (about 18 watts) the resistance would be 8 ohms per bulb.

What was the stock bulb?

this is the tail light I got http://www.customled.com/products/i...nja_250r.htm?gclid=CKDX1_Hr36oCFcPBKgodl0mo-g

I also got this fender eliminator ( didnt want to cut so I can return to factory if I sell + this looks much cleaner) http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_83&products_id=148

As you can see, the kit offers me the option to have the stock blinkers along with the LP light or not. ( i have the led's for the plate too) I like the look of no factory signals, but if I am going to be harassed then I'l use the factory signal light option....no biggie

this is the options on the kit I got

111_04b_pm.jpg
vs.
111_04h_pm.jpg

I caN go either way

djltoronto, after a quick google search found out they are 92069-0024 BULB,12V 10W

What specific section of the HTA is he in violation of?

You will most likely will find a disclaimer somewhere on the paperwork that came with you tail light that it is "for show purposes only" or words to that effect.

Its says in the features tab of the link at the bottom of the bullets

"NOT DOT approved."

Last edited:
djltoronto, after a quick google search found out they are 92069-0024 BULB,12V 10W

10 watts @ 12v = 14.4ohms.... BUT
I have my doubts about an OEM bulb being only 10 watts.... usually the cheap aftermarket stuff is around 10, and not bright enough.

I have my doubts that 10w is the OEM spec, can you confirm that? Is it stamped on the OEM bulbs?

My 250 had an integrated taillight already installed when I registered it and past safety no problem, so you sir are wrong.

OP-Sorry can't help as it was installed already...I just had to tell this guy how wrong he was...damn that felt good.

So, no-one can site the HTA section then? What section will it say on the ticket you receive?

DOT is an American thing anyway, this is Canada

My bad then, I just know everyone wants to see the DOT appproved helmets in Canada, Didn't realize it doesn't mean anything here.

What is the equivalent for "DOT" approval in Canada?

My 250 had an integrated taillight already installed when I registered it and past safety no problem, so you sir are wrong.

OP-Sorry can't help as it was installed already...I just had to tell this guy how wrong he was...damn that felt good.

This is not a provincial regulation, it is a federal one:

[h=3]TABLE IV: LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT[/h] All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers,and Buses of Less Than 2.05 m (80 inches) Overall Width

Turn signal lamps​
At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.​
On the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.
At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 400 mm (16 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 100 mm (4 inches).
At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 230 mm (9 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 100 mm (4 inches), when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.

Not less than 380 mm (15 inches), nor more than 2 110 mm (83 inches).​

Taken from Transport Canada: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-mvstm_tsd-tsd-1080rev4_e-688.htm#_Toc S5.3

Back
Top Bottom