Szoke out for the season? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Szoke out for the season?

Wow, sounds like he had a really bad day at the MX track.

It's a real shame for the CSBK championship, as the grizzled vet fighting off the kids made for a compelling storyline. As someone with only a casual interest in the series, he definitely had the best name recognition...

I hope, at 43 years old, he has the good sense to retire. Heck even Rossi knew when it was time. He has nothing left to prove to anyone.
Stay on as a team owner, help keep the series alive (goodness knows it needs him), but he just doesn't bounce the way he used to.

I hope, at 43 years old, he has the good sense to retire. Heck even Rossi knew when it was time. He has nothing left to prove to anyone.
Stay on as a team owner, help keep the series alive (goodness knows it needs him), but he just doesn't bounce the way he used to.
The problem is the competition. He can still win..... and no one makes money being a team owner in CSBK. At least not from racing. If he can keep winning and Kawasaki (or others) want to keep paying him...we'll see.

GoFundMe for Jordan

Sent from my Pixel 5 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
I am sure every $ helps. But this is why racing in Canada won't go anywhere. How do you have a series where there is no insurance? Guy is risking life and limb and when he gets hurt his employers should be paying for it.

He wasn't racing, he was practicing at MX track. He is self-employed.
I understand that. I have health insurance. I pay so that if I am injured my bills are paid. The guy is a professional motorcycle racer. He still needs to be paid while practicing and staying in shape off season. His employers need to account for his lifestyle if they want the services of a motorcycle racer.

I understand that. I have health insurance. I pay so that if I am injured my bills are paid. The guy is a professional motorcycle racer. He still needs to be paid while practicing and staying in shape off season. His employers need to account for his lifestyle if they want the services of a motorcycle racer.
who is his employer?

Wow, sounds like he had a really bad day at the MX track.

It's a real shame for the CSBK championship, as the grizzled vet fighting off the kids made for a compelling storyline. As someone with only a casual interest in the series, he definitely had the best name recognition...
It's a tough game in Canada, racing isn't cheap and sponsorship+prize money doesn't pay the bills -- even if you win everything.

My kid's university roommate was the National Pro Sport Champ every year he raced, in CBSK he always challenged Szoke, - if I recall he beat Szoke in their last 4 races. The costs were too overwhelming, even with sponsors and winning races.

I'm sure there are lots of great young racers who simply can't afford to carry on once they hit their early 20s.

I'm not sure I follow your point, he is self employed and is responsible for himself.

no victims here, only volunteers
I am saying that the Canadian racing system is going absolutely nowhere when the Top one or two racers....the very top, are not paid enough and given protections enough that racing is worth it. At the very least they need to be able to cover insurance for people racing for them. Saying that someone has voluntarily applied for a job does not mean that they cannot be taken advantage of. Both can happen. Or I guess no one EVER would have a problem with their employer.

I am saying that the Canadian racing system is going absolutely nowhere when the Top one or two racers....the very top, are not paid enough and given protections enough that racing is worth it. At the very least they need to be able to cover insurance for people racing for them. Saying that someone has voluntarily applied for a job does not mean that they cannot be taken advantage of. Both can happen. Or I guess no one EVER would have a problem with their employer.
You keep using the word "employed". Why?

For the last time, Canadian Kawasaki is NOT his employer. His is an independent contractor and as such is responsible for his personal protection.
You hire someone to shingle your roof and they fall off - are you on the hook ? NO.

You hire someone to shingle your roof and they fall off - are you on the hook ? NO.
Welllllllllll....actually... MAYBE.

If Szoke had a CMA number (he does) and DIED, CMA's policy pays out SOMETHING... it used to be $10,000.
I kinda doubt Mr. Szoke had HIS income insured... income insurance for a motorcycle racer is EXPENSIVE.

... and if Kawasaki had any "policy" on Mr. Szoke, it would be to protect Kawasaki, NOT Jordan.

You keep using the word "employed". Why

For the last time, Canadian Kawasaki is NOT his employer. His is an independent contractor and as such is responsible for his personal protection.
If you hire someone to shingle your roof and they do not have insurance....YES. NOT NO.

I am saying that he should be treated like an employee and given insurance. I am saying that if the Racers are in the "PRO" division they have to have protections. Use whatever terminology you want. If he is "contracted" he is contracted in the same way delivery drivers who walk around all day with Amazon on their trucks are. He is in ads for Kawasaki and represents their brand and wears their shirts and does interviews representing the brand outside of races. He is a contractor in the same way your company hires someone they do not want to pay a full wage. It may be the way riders prefer it...I do not know. But he is a Pro level racer and that should come with insurance in case he is severely injured. I am sure that the people who fly around for the Circus could be a "contractor" and responsible for themselves in the case of injury....doesn't make it right.

If you hire someone to shingle your roof and they do not have insurance....YES. NOT NO.

I am saying that he should be treated like an employee and given insurance. I am saying that if the Racers are in the "PRO" division they have to have protections. Use whatever terminology you want. If he is "contracted" he is contracted in the same way delivery drivers who walk around all day with Amazon on their trucks are. He is in ads for Kawasaki and represents their brand and wears their shirts and does interviews representing the brand outside of races. He is a contractor in the same way your company hires someone they do not want to pay a full wage. It may be the way riders prefer it...I do not know. But he is a Pro level racer and that should come with insurance in case he is severely injured. I am sure that the people who fly around for the Circus could be a "contractor" and responsible for themselves in the case of injury....doesn't make it right.
If my roofer hurts himself on a dirt bike and cant complete the job, what does that have to do with my insurance? I understand where you are coming from but I (like many others) put the burden on the contracted worker not the corporation that hired them. There are clear advantages and disadvantages of operating as a contractor vs employee. Sadly, little support if things go wrong is one of the disadvantages. He could have bought his own policy to protect him in case of injury but I suspect the premium would be brutal.

Back
Top Bottom