Szoke out for the season? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Szoke out for the season?

But he is a Pro level racer and that should come with insurance in case he is severely injured. I am sure that the people who fly around for the Circus could be a "contractor" and responsible for themselves in the case of injury....doesn't make it right.
Bottom line - he doesn't have insurance. Maybe you could act as his agent next time he negotiates a contract ? Good luck with that.

If you hire someone to shingle your roof and they do not have insurance....YES. NOT NO.

I am saying that he should be treated like an employee and given insurance. I am saying that if the Racers are in the "PRO" division they have to have protections. Use whatever terminology you want. If he is "contracted" he is contracted in the same way delivery drivers who walk around all day with Amazon on their trucks are. He is in ads for Kawasaki and represents their brand and wears their shirts and does interviews representing the brand outside of races. He is a contractor in the same way your company hires someone they do not want to pay a full wage. It may be the way riders prefer it...I do not know. But he is a Pro level racer and that should come with insurance in case he is severely injured. I am sure that the people who fly around for the Circus could be a "contractor" and responsible for themselves in the case of injury....doesn't make it right.
Most motorcycle racers pay to be on a team. Unfortunately.Screenshot_20220528-074940.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220528-074940.png
    Screenshot_20220528-074940.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 10
Kawasaki from what I understood sponsored him. Hence they pay for bike expenses, fees, travel, clothing etc. This does not include insurance; he doesn't work for Kawasaki so they have absolutely no obligation to him aside from provide an image.

Racing companies in Canada are just terrible though. A good friend of mine was a top Motocross racer and couldn't really afford all the expenses anymore and only had some local sponsors. He was winning all the races in Northern Ontario, Manitoba etc....but needed more help to travel to the US where the top races were at. He had wrote a letter and asked Kawasaki for a sponsor / partnership as his shop is affiliated with them. They gave him a scheduled appointment / interview at their head office and wanted it done professionally and they would discuss terms and that they were interested. Him and his dad spent $5000 (which is almost all they had for racing funds) to put together a professional Keynote with a speaker, contacts and other shop owners to come and speak on his behalf. It lasted only 15 mins of the allotted 60 mins and they simply waved a hand and passed. $5000 down the drain for the little guy.

Last edited:
Kawasaki from what I understood sponsored him. Hence they pay for bike expenses, fees, travel, clothing etc. This does not include insurance; he doesn't work for Kawasaki so they have absolutely no obligation to him aside from provide an image.

It lasted only 15 mins of the allotted 60 mins and they simply waved a hand and passed. $5000 down the drain for the little guy.
Sponsors can only spend what they have in the budget, hence why most talented racers have to go elsewhere. Canada is small potatoes in the grand scheme, back when the tobacco, beer and oil companies had money to spend a lot of folks got the boost they needed to run with the big dogs. Think Miguel DuHamel, Pasqual Picotte, Ruben McMurter and the like.

Sponsors can only spend what they have in the budget, hence why most talented racers have to go elsewhere. Canada is small potatoes in the grand scheme, back when the tobacco, beer and oil companies had money to spend a lot of folks got the boost they needed to run with the big dogs. Think Miguel DuHamel, Pasqual Picotte, Ruben McMurter and the like.
Completely agree, hence why racing in Canada is such a waste of time if you're looking to make a career. You need to have the time, resources, and skill at a young age to get anywhere for starters. Then if you are successful in Canada you travel to the States and need to place within the top 3 nationally. THEN....you can hopefully travel to Europe and somehow race within the top riders there just to make a decent income out of this hobby. Odds really are stacked against Professional motorcycling in NA.

Hard for canada to produce world champion racers with the low population and dogshit weather here to begin with, to get 12 months of practice/racing in, canadaians HAVE to travel, which means the sport is unaccessible to a large portion of the population, that can't afford to do that or just can't get the time off work to do so.

Back
Top Bottom