Sv650 battery issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sv650 battery issue

lildevilx

First of all, thanks you for who ever stopped at the shell to see if I was ok and offered to boost my bike in Uxbridge.

Long story short, my battery died in the middle of a ride, got it boosted but the bike would just die shortly. After jumped and running the voltage was around 10v which led me to think somewhere in the charging system is dead.
I ended getting my brother to pick up a new battery and ride it home with that (about 20km from home) so it wasnt too bad., Definitely could be worst.

I've looked up some forums and found how to check the R/R and stator, yet to go test it yet but anyone know what's the best bang for the buck option for these? Fortnine seems to be charging around $150 for each of the items.

2002 sv650

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

Thanks!

I would check at the starter rebuilding shop for a rectifier, reason i say that, cause they actually had one in stock for a 83 Suzuki tempter

I don't know much about the SV specifically, but I hear a lot of people are using MOSFET R/R's to replace problematic OEM units.

I also have an 02, thankfully no charging issues yet and it seems IME a lot of the initial issues were resolved (ie 2001 model)

Have you had any issues since the new battery?

If issues persist I can do my best to help. Also I recommend checking out SVRIDER.com as it’s an amazing source.

There is no disadvantage to upgrading the r/r but my logic is if it isn’t broke don’t fix it *somewhat*

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Given that the bike is a 2002 it most definitely wouldn't have had the original battery - most likely a couple or three. Its quite possible the battery you just replaced was at fault.
If you have access to a simple hand held volt meter check and see if you're getting at least 13.5 to 14 volts at the terminals of the battery at say 2,000 rpm.
If you aren't then follow down to the wires coming from the alternator to the reg/rectifier. Check continuity for all 3 phases.
If you aren't, its the stator, if your are then the reg/rect is at fault. Or maybe both ?
Along the way check all the connectors making certain none of them are broken or burnt. When reassembling use a dielectric grease.

I also have an 02, thankfully no charging issues yet and it seems IME a lot of the initial issues were resolved (ie 2001 model)

Have you had any issues since the new battery?

If issues persist I can do my best to help. Also I recommend checking out SVRIDER.com as it’s an amazing source.

There is no disadvantage to upgrading the r/r but my logic is if it isn’t broke don’t fix it *somewhat*

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I haven't rode it since getting it back home, and I wasn't feeling taking the bike a part to get to the R/R to test it yesterday but I know for sure something is busted cause the it wasn't charging the battery while the bike is running (battery was at 12 while the bike is running)
Given that the bike is a 2002 it most definitely wouldn't have had the original battery - most likely a couple or three. Its quite possible the battery you just replaced was at fault.
If you have access to a simple hand held volt meter check and see if you're getting at least 13.5 to 14 volts at the terminals of the battery at say 2,000 rpm.
If you aren't then follow down to the wires coming from the alternator to the reg/rectifier. Check continuity for all 3 phases.
If you aren't, its the stator, if your are then the reg/rect is at fault. Or maybe both ?
Along the way check all the connectors making certain none of them are broken or burnt. When reassembling use a dielectric grease.
Thanks, I found this post on Reddit that I'm going to follow to test the R/R
The battery that was pulled out wasn't Suzuki branded. So I'm assuming it's not OEM anyways. I've only had the bike for 3 years and I haven't changed the battery on it before.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Reactions: TK4
So finally went out to do a quick test, results looks like that the R/R is the issue. With the test from the reddit page, the I was only getting a reading measuring one from the positive side. Negative side all shows overload.

The stator seemed good, revving at about 3000rpm (just full choke no throttle) the stator was producing about 45VAC which is just under the 60VAC @ 5000RPM

Which is good, cause changing the R/R is a lot easier then the stator....

now to find a new R/R....

So finally went out to do a quick test, results looks like that the R/R is the issue. With the test from the reddit page, the I was only getting a reading measuring one from the positive side. Negative side all shows overload.

The stator seemed good, revving at about 3000rpm (just full choke no throttle) the stator was producing about 45VAC which is just under the 60VAC @ 5000RPM

Which is good, cause changing the R/R is a lot easier then the stator....

now to find a new R/R....
Sorta good news. if you're buying aftermarket I've found Rick's to be better quality.

After this many weeks later I finally got my new Rick's r/r and replaced it over the weekend, works great now and the charging voltage is correct :)

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Back
Top Bottom