Super Duper New | GTAMotorcycle.com

Super Duper New

TowneBike

Hey everyone!

Completely new to riding, still studying for my M1.

Couple of questions, I want to get a cruiser (debating between Vulcan, Rebel, V Star and Virago) as my first bike.

Led to believe cruisers are easy to learn on but regardless, I plan on sticking with cruisers.

Is it true cruisers are easy to learn on?

Also, where's the best place to learn to ride if I don't plan on buying bike. Do I need to buy a bike to take M1 exit.

And before you pounce, yes I'm taking a good look at insurance, just need some bike recommendations.

Welcome to GTAM and to riding.

Cruisers can be easy to learn on due to the low seat height (makes it easy to put your feet down quickly if you get tipsy when moving slowly). Just be aware that they can get very heavy if you go for a big engine. They can also be a bit pig-ish in terms of handling. But again that's more of an issue with the big displacement bikes. Something in the 500cc range is usually a good place to start. Nice and easy to handle but still enough power to be fun once you get the hang of it.

I did my M1 exit course with RTI (rider training institute). As I recall it was about $400 and they supply the bikes. One unexpected plus was that they had several different types of bikes that you could swap between over the 2 days of parking lot riding. Even if you're set on a cruiser it's nice to be able to expand your experience a little bit before you put down big $$$. The course was lots of fun and I did learn a couple of things despite growing up on dirt bikes.

And yes, insurance is a pain but it does get better. My first year was over $2000 but within 4 years I was down to $650/yr for a KLR650. If you don't die in the first couple of years I guess they figure you're a decent rider.

Thanks for advice!! I definitely am open to trying new bike types, my concern was from someone who took the course and wasn't able to try a cruiser. Also I'm a bit confused, does the place allow you to take the exam to receive your M2?

definitely take a course

cruisers are petty easy to ride
but slow speed handling sucks - raked out - and heavy
also new riders get over confident easily and get too hot into corners
a cruiser with it's weight, poor handling and low clearance can be a problem in that situation
whereas a sport bike or standard are better for dealing with those pucker-up moments

but there's no reason why with some training and a good head on your shoulders
not to start and stay with a cruiser

definitely take a course

cruisers are petty easy to ride
but slow speed handling sucks - raked out - and heavy
also new riders get over confident easily and get too hot into corners
a cruiser with it's weight, poor handling and low clearance can be a problem in that situation
whereas a sport bike or standard are better for dealing with those pucker-up moments

but there's no reason why with some training and a good head on your shoulders
not to start and stay with a cruiser
Thanks for the advice!

Did you yourself start on a sport bike or cruiser? Have you ridden both? If so did you notice a difference in insurance rates based on type of bike?

Thanks for the advice!

Did you yourself start on a sport bike or cruiser? Have you ridden both? If so did you notice a difference in insurance rates based on type of bike?

my bike history is in my sig
current cruiser is my first one

as you can see from that history - I'm old :)
bike insurance was affordable up until around 20 years ago
by then I'd been riding so long I was and still am low risk

cruisers used to be more affordable to insure
rates for them are starting to creep up - especially for the higher displacement ones
we can blame the fat - first time rider - baby boomers for this
they buy an 800 lb bike, go play SOA and crash

for a new rider the best advice is to start small and get some rider and insurance history
get a few years under your belt and then look to move up

my bike history is in my sig
current cruiser is my first one

as you can see from that history - I'm old :)
bike insurance was affordable up until around 20 years ago
by then I'd been riding so long I was and still am low risk

cruisers used to be more affordable to insure
rates for them are starting to creep up - especially for the higher displacement ones
we can blame the fat - first time rider - baby boomers for this
they buy an 800 lb bike, go play SOA and crash

for a new rider the best advice is to start small and get some rider and insurance history
get a few years under your belt and then look to move up
Hahaha Hahaha literally laughed out loud with baby boomer comment.

Yea like I said, max I'm thinking is vstar 650, would you say that's too powerful as a first time rider? Would you mind sharing history of riding any type of 250 in terms of two up riding and highway capability?

Vstar 650 would be a decent starter cruiser
still on the heavy side but manageable for a new rider

a modern 250 would be okay for short jaunts on the highway
2 up on the highway on a 250 I don't think would be much fun

Vstar 650 would be a decent starter cruiser
still on the heavy side but manageable for a new rider

a modern 250 would be okay for short jaunts on the highway
2 up on the highway on a 250 I don't think would be much fun
Thanks Java, appreciate taking the time to answer questions

Reactions: J_F
does the place allow you to take the exam to receive your M2?

Yep. Licencing structure goes:
Written test -> get M1 licence
M1 exit exam (parking lot test available from a training course or direct from Drive Test) -> get M2 licence
M2 exit exam (road test available from a training course or direct from Drive Test) -> get full M licence

All of the different training places do things pretty much the same way. Usually a full weekend for an M1 Exit course. Friday evening classroom session. Saturday all day and Sunday morning doing riding drills in the parking lot with instructors. Sunday afternoon the individual drills are combined into a kind of obstacle course.

You usually get plenty of time to complete every drill and lots of instruction if you need it. Once you complete the obstacle course to the satisfaction of the instructors, you get a certificate of completion that you can take to a Service Ontario to get your M2.

FWIW, a friend of mine has been on a Rebel 500 for 15 years and about 200,000km. He just got a new bike this winter... a new Rebel 500. Java's advice is right on. I'd say it's all about the right tool for the job. Once you figure out how you like to ride then you can figure out exactly which bike is right for you.

To get started just get a bike in the 300-650cc range that's in good condition, get some training and go ride. Check out the "reasonably priced used bikes for sale" thread in the main discussion area.

Yep. Licencing structure goes:
Written test -> get M1 licence
M1 exit exam (parking lot test available from a training course or direct from Drive Test) -> get M2 licence
M2 exit exam (road test available from a training course or direct from Drive Test) -> get full M licence

All of the different training places do things pretty much the same way. Usually a full weekend for an M1 Exit course. Friday evening classroom session. Saturday all day and Sunday morning doing riding drills in the parking lot with instructors. Sunday afternoon the individual drills are combined into a kind of obstacle course.

You usually get plenty of time to complete every drill and lots of instruction if you need it. Once you complete the obstacle course to the satisfaction of the instructors, you get a certificate of completion that you can take to a Service Ontario to get your M2.

FWIW, a friend of mine has been on a Rebel 500 for 15 years and about 200,000km. He just got a new bike this winter... a new Rebel 500. Java's advice is right on. I'd say it's all about the right tool for the job. Once you figure out how you like to ride then you can figure out exactly which bike is right for you.

To get started just get a bike in the 300-650cc range that's in good condition, get some training and go ride. Check out the "reasonably priced used bikes for sale" thread in the main discussion area.
Really big help!!!!

I was a bit confused about courses and your ability to get an M2/M with them. Does taking the course also help shorten the time it take to go from M2 to M, and does getting the test with the course make insurance cheaper?

For sure take a coarse. Here's a tip. Don't choose a cruiser at the coarse. Pick a standard. Reason is the cruiser has the longest wheel base. The standard will make dealing with those horrible cones a lot easier.;)

Led to believe cruisers are easy to learn on but regardless, I plan on sticking with cruisers.

Is it true cruisers are easy to learn on?
No, the easiest bike to learn on is the lightest bike you can get your hands on, I have a 250cc bike that weighs 160 pounds, your average cruiser weighs in between 400 and 800 pounds, I'll just let you ponder those numbers for a moment.

Forget about what works 2-up, you are about 4 years away from being qualified to take on a passenger anyway.

Suzuki Savage aka Boulevard has been built almost forever and is considered to be a pretty good entry level cruiser bike for solo riding. -> 381 pounds wet, that's only 2.38 Montesa Cota's strapped together ;)

Welcome!

Google some forums on various makes and I’m sure you’ll read some feedback on the trouble areas as well as what makes them fun to ride etc. What after market or farkles people get to make them comfortable or perform better etc.

Go out and sit on a few to get a feel for hand and feet placement.

While shopping you know what to look for and might have some preferences.

Cruisers have a style but not all are the same. Some have forward controls and have the seating position on your tail bone. Many don’t like it.

Of course, there are different bar heights and widths. Some look cool but don’t help with steering or comfort or even use of the controls.

RTI will have a few different bikes to try out.

Duo sport/adv and standard styles have a more natural riding position and easier to learn on. Although seat height might be a little taller.

Honda does have some good selection for new riders in the 300/500 engine size with different styles.

So check out some bike specific forums for some of the bikes you listed.

Keep an open mind and then follow your passion. Continue to ask questions. It’s a great community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No, the easiest bike to learn on is the lightest bike you can get your hands on, I have a 250cc bike that weighs 160 pounds, your average cruiser weighs in between 400 and 800 pounds, I'll just let you ponder those numbers for a moment.

Forget about what works 2-up, you are about 4 years away from being qualified to take on a passenger anyway.

Suzuki Savage aka Boulevard has been built almost forever and is considered to be a pretty good entry level cruiser bike for solo riding. -> 381 pounds wet, that's only 2.38 Montesa Cota's strapped together ;)
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind, V Star 250 is a top choice for me, and I've noticed the Virago 250 (like the handle bar design). Noticing the Savage on Kijiji and a lot of them have what I'd consider high odometers (30 000km+). Should I be weary of bikes like that? Or would I be able to resell pretty quickly if its in good condition?

Welcome!

Google some forums on various makes and I’m sure you’ll read some feedback on the trouble areas as well as what makes them fun to ride etc. What after market or farkles people get to make them comfortable or perform better etc.

Go out and sit on a few to get a feel for hand and feet placement.

While shopping you know what to look for and might have some preferences.

Cruisers have a style but not all are the same. Some have forward controls and have the seating position on your tail bone. Many don’t like it.

Of course, there are different bar heights and widths. Some look cool but don’t help with steering or comfort or even use of the controls.

RTI will have a few different bikes to try out.

Duo sport/adv and standard styles have a more natural riding position and easier to learn on. Although seat height might be a little taller.

Honda does have some good selection for new riders in the 300/500 engine size with different styles.

So check out of bike specific forums for some of the bikes you listed.

Keep an open mind and then follow your passion. Continue to ask questions. It’s a great community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the positivity, I'm doing a lot of research so far with the insurance, and I'm getting quotes around $2000, thinking about going to a bike shop this weekend to get a feel for what it's like to sit on a bike. Know of any shops I can go to where they'd be ok with me testing seating on bikes without intent to buy?

... forward controls and have the seating position on your tail bone...
Cruisers are ok, just like driving your car.
but if that's all you ever ride you will never learn to control a motorcycles front to rear balance point, just like driving your car.

Back
Top Bottom