Summer Solstice 2.0 - Northern Ontario Route Ideas | GTAMotorcycle.com

Summer Solstice 2.0 - Northern Ontario Route Ideas

oioioi

Site Supporter
Looks like we will be renting a cottage near Huntsville in mid-late August for a week. I have introduced the idea to the wife to either ride my bike up separately or maybe trailer it if she wants to drive up together as a family. Since I will be up there for about a week, I figured I might take advantage of the opportunity to go for a Northern-ish Ontario Ride.

I have taken inspiration from the original Summer Solstice ride by @shanekingsley. It's pretty much the second half of the ride that I did not complete, with just a different starting point.

Would there be any other roads/routes you guys would suggest I visit going even further North? (I.e. up to North Bay or Sudbury) Better to do those starting from Huntsville area instead of starting from the GTA. Or would you say this is a pretty good route?
Small part of it is a repeat of the ride from a couple of weeks ago, but I really don't mind riding the same road again.

Here is a screen shot of the route and a link to the google maps.

1593400242856.png

not sure where you're starting from
but if you have the time
I'd skip the Muskokas and see more of the Kawarthas and Ottawa Valley

tons of less travelled roads with good pavement
much less traffic and in particular, TO cagers

lots of places to stop for chips and a cold drink, safely
public bathrooms are generally open most places too

check out Wilno, I think you'd like it

lothXxH.png

Made a few changes to your route: Port Sydney to Port Sydney

Added in the Bunny Trail (I didn't do it but you might as well if you are up there - adds 25 min)
Added in Swords Rd - excellent
Added in 632/Peninsula Rd - excellent
Removed Orillia and added in Coopers Falls Rd to get you over to Minden, which is far more interesting

Peronally, I'd say skip Southwood Rd because pavement quality is no good for a spirited run, but I've ridden it about 100 times over the years, so I've had my fill.

Total adds about an hour to your route still including Southwood..

@J_F
The June 20th ride covered parts of the Kawarthas. I did enjoy it and I know there is more to ride in that area, but I wanted to see the Muskokas.
I will keep the rest of the Kawarthas in mind for another time or next year.
BTW, start and end point is Port Sydney

@shanekingsley
Thanks for the input.
The only reason why I had Orillia in there is to stop at Webers BBQ for lunch. I know its a poor excuse. But after driving by that place for the last 20+years, I finally stopped about 3-4 years ago. Since than I try to stop for a burger when I'm within reach.
But I can live without it and would take a better route over a burger.

The ride would probably be done in the middle of the week so traffic should be easier to manage.

I would go much further north. You can ride the muskokas/kawarthas/etc any time, it's an easy day ride from the GTA. Use this opportunity to explore the area north of Sudbury (Capreol), maybe go across hwy 560. The part of quebec just northwest of gatineau has a lot of good roads if you're able to do 700-800 kms days.

Back
Top Bottom