Suggestions for street legal dual sport | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suggestions for street legal dual sport

SVeezy

Possibly a topic that’s been covered previously but...

I’m thinking about picking up a dual sport. Something to run around the cottage and crown trails with friends on their ATVs.

I was looking at a CRF450x as I like the four strokes low maintenance but I’m not sure if it can be plated for street use which would help.

It would be nice to also have the ability to get some SM rims/tires for enjoying it around the city.

I know Iceman had a nice Husky SM not too long ago and that would have been a nice buy but timing wasn’t right for me.

All input is helpful, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Probably the Honda 450L or whatever they call it. 4 stroke dirt bikes a re very high maintenance and more expensive to maintain than 2 strokes. ktm 350 is another nice option personally would never buy a honda dirt bike.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Kawasaki KLX250 ?
A few years ago they did a supermoto version so parts should be easy to come by.

I like our KTM 500 EXC-F/Husqvarna FE501 combo. Street-legal and highway capable as well.

Lots of options for SM conversions.

Doing a lot more single-track now, so I've dropped a tooth in the front sprocket to make it more trail friendly. Sprockets are cheap - $30 to switch between a top-speed highway bike and a torquey trail bike.

Super-light - they are basically plated dirt bikes, so it does have dirt bike maintenance intervals - 15 hour oil changes. Honda CRF450L is similar. Minus the hydraulic clutch tho.

Unless you're a relatively experienced off road rider I'd smaller is better, both engine size and bike weight.

A 450/500 is fun but can quickly turn into a handful in tight trails.

The 250 dual sports - CRF250L, KLX250 and WR250R will accomplish what you want with the bonus of being cheaper on insurance than the larger options. They will also have lowered maintenance expectations than the high performance 350/450/500's.

If all you're doing is off road (which it apparently isn't) I'd get a 2 stroke as I find them more fun.

Reactions: TK4
I’m thinking about picking up a dual sport. Something to run around the cottage and crown trails with friends on their ATVs.

Funny, I've been thinking the same thing. US roads not accessible and my ST is over 700 lb and not conducive to exploring cottage area backroads, in particular dirt roads. I need something street legal and relatively light (anything is light compared to the ST). I don't need cutting edge anything as I'm not blasting down trails, just need access. I've experience with dual sport, trials and motocross bikes, albeit 45 years ago............ I'd be keeping the ST for long trips.

Looked at the Yamaha T700, fantastic bike, but do I really need or want a 430 lb $13K adv bike? Suzuki DR400 might fit the bill, but $7,500 and has tech that is great, but really necessary for my riding plans? Some of the other 4 stroke dual sports are more performance oriented, expensive and/or have too frequent maintenance intervals.

Then looked at the Suzuki DR650; old tech or no tech, air cooled, probably very simple to maintain, dirt cheap at $6,600 and reasonably light 370 lb. Large enough to putter along at 80 - 90 kph on paved back roads between trails vs. a smaller 250. Small enough to park in the corner of my shed. Still thinking about it, may pick up a new one or maybe a lightly used older model over the winter.

Pick up a used CRF230/250-TTR, the insurance for a year is minimal. If your buddies are lugging their ATV's to the trail you can do the same thing.

Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea the four strokes were such high maintenance although I’m sure there are some exceptions like the aforementioned DR.

I definitely like the KTM and Husky options although tend to be on the high side for pricing. I’m in no rush though so I can hold off until I find a deal.

If it was strictly a tight trail bike I’d go with something smaller but given the longer open trails we also ride and wanting to have it on the street as well the smaller bikes wouldn’t be able to keep up.

Trailering is an option but I’d rather not be limited. We often ride the ATVs to the trails and having to load/unload, and leave a trailer behind is far from ideal.

If it ends up being a trailered trail only bike it will almost certainly be a 2 stroke 250

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Anywhere you can ride a atv on the road you can ride a green plated dirt bike now.

Dual sports are always a trade-off imho you have to figure out if you want a 80% street bike or 80% dirt bike. It will never be 100% of either and a bike that is 50-50 is slightly useless at both.

Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea the four strokes were such high maintenance although I’m sure there are some exceptions like the aforementioned DR.
Yup, this is what I discovered when looking for a blue plated Sumo conversion years ago. I figured at that point, might as well just get an SXV. The only thing I regret is that the motor has to come out of the frame for valve adjustments. From what I've seen of the KTM's and Husky's, some/most can not only be done in the frame, but you can get to the shims without touching the cams because they have a quick release rocker arm retainer. That would save a lot of time.

How many hours/km do you expect to put on in a year? What's your budget? Just getting into offroad or have experience? I've had many dual sports/dirtbikes over the years. Most who have been into it for awhile will tell you its almost impossible to find the perfect "do it all" bike.. Personally I gave up and now just have multiple bikes for different purposes.

My suggestions based on a couple scenarios + street legal from the factory. (blue plated "offroad only" bikes are a different conversation.)

Higher performance/Higher maintenance/Lower km or hours per year/High budget: Crf450L, Ktm 250/350/450/500 exc, Husky Fe350/450/501.
Perfect options if blue plate is a must and you enjoy pushing the limits offroad with the occasional road burn/fun around town.

Much less performance/Low maintenance/High km or use per year/Low budget: drz400s, wr250r, crf250l, klx250s
If you already have a good amount of experience riding MX or other performance dirtbikes, these will be a disappointment feeling underpowered and heavy. After some suspension mods and power upgrades they can be a great compromise.. But if you want to really ride the bike aggressively off-road the shortcomings will reveal themselves quickly. (low power output, suspension, weight)

These are great bikes though and super reliable/low maintenance. More like street bike intervals with 3000-5000km oil changes and 20k+ valve checks. I've had a couple drz400's and wr250r's and they're great for getting into offroad with excellent on road capabilities for a dirtbike.

Any blue plated 2-stroke again is a different story - and they will be useless for any real street duty unless you're just bombing around cottage roads with low speed limits.

Anywhere you can ride a atv on the road you can ride a green plated dirt bike now.

This is only true in a few municipalities at the moment. Municipalities will still have to amend their bylaws individually to allow green plate offroad motorcycles to ride the shoulder and many have yet to put anything in place. Definitely check your local bylaws first before committing to a green plate bike if you wish to ride the shoulders.

Last edited:
Any blue plated 2-stroke again is a different story - and they will be useless for any real off-road duty unless you're just bombing around cottage roads with low speed limits.

or you are Jake Stapleton

Higher performance/Higher maintenance/Lower km or hours per year/High budget: Crf450L, Ktm 250/350/450/500 exc, Husky te350/450/501.
Perfect options if blue plate is a must and you enjoy pushing the limits offroad with the occasional road burn/fun around town.

Much less performance/Low maintenance/High km or use per year/Low budget: drz400s, wr250r, crf250l, klx250s
If you already have a good amount of experience riding MX or other performance dirtbikes, these will be a disappointment feeling underpowered and heavy. After some suspension mods and power upgrades they can be a great compromise.. But if you want to really ride the bike aggressively off-road the shortcomings will reveal themselves quickly. (low power output, suspension, weight)

Perfect summary!

Gallery - XR650L 0

Gallery - XR650L 0

350lbs wet puts it at the heavier end of the scale. Hate to be muscling that around single track.

If I was forced to ride a 350# dual sport, I'd opt for a 690/701. Better in almost every way: power/suspension...

Except $$$...

Any blue plated 2-stroke again is a different story - and they will be useless for any real off-road duty unless you're just bombing around cottage roads with low speed limits.

or you are Jake Stapleton

Or Dewayne Jones.

DewayneCR500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom